Primer seating on a 650 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Primer seating on a 650

squirreld
04-04-2011, 18:01
I seem to have the most problems when seating primers.
Is it possible to seat a primer to deep?
I seem to get 1 in 10 rounds that require a second strike.
2 of the last 100 will not fire even after 5 restrikes.

what am I doing wrong?

Boxerglocker
04-04-2011, 18:06
You problem is most likely due to you setting up the press like you stated in this post http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1333204 :whistling:

I gave a answer that will remedy your problem for the most part.

squirreld
04-04-2011, 18:30
Thanks for your response(s).
However, primer seating is on the downstroke.

Boxerglocker
04-04-2011, 18:43
Thanks for your response(s).
However, primer seating is on the downstroke.

Correct downstroke of the ram, forward motion on the handle.

You have to understand that they are all inter-related. Case position at station one is dependant on having a properly primed case at station 2 during adjustment. They affect each other.

As for your described problem, the ability to second strike and firing usually indicates high primers, there really is no way to adjust a 650 to seat too deep... then agin you could just have a bad batch of primers.

unclebob
04-04-2011, 19:06
Take about 25 cases and size and deprime them. With no other primers in the primer magazine. With no other operation going on the press. Place a primer on the primer punch then add a deprimed case in station 2. Push the handle forward and you should feel with the primer starts going into the primer pocket. The rest is kind of hard to explain but once you feel the primer start going in with a (lack of a better word) controlled shove push the primer in and you should feel it bottoming out. Doing it this way if you should pop a primer you would only be setting of one primer. One primer is no big deal. I set off 3 before I got it down. The biggest thing is the initial feel of the primer going in. If it does not feel right stop and do not try and force it. Once I got the feel down I have not set off another primer and I use Federal primers.