Fluted chambers and brass [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fluted chambers and brass

Kicking bird
04-05-2011, 10:55
A buddy gave me a 60 brass empties of 308 on M14 stripper clips w/the cardboard covers in the bandolier. The head stamps are WRA 61.

Winchester Repeating Arms 1961 mfg brass?

There are long lines in the brass running from the shoulder down the case.

Someone said they think that they were shot in a G3 style gun with a fluted chamber and they're safe to reload. But they show no dents or crushed mouths like G3 empties should have.

I'm thinking they were shot out of full auto guns like an M60.

Any thoughts?

GioaJack
04-05-2011, 11:23
Some training blanks for both .308 and 5.56 are fluted, (very obvious flutes) the entire length of the case. Others are identified by an elongated neck that almost looks like a seated bullet. Those are the ones you usually see in close-up scenes in the movies.

Jack

fredj338
04-05-2011, 13:03
I don;t know about the M60, but the HK line has a fluted chamber. They do stress the brass along the flute lines so it will cause case failures sooner than later.

Kicking bird
04-06-2011, 10:51
Thanks Guys!

These aren't blanks and they aren't worth keeping due to the lines which as stated will eventually cause a failure.

Thanks again

DoctaGlockta
04-06-2011, 11:58
Thanks Guys!

These aren't blanks and they aren't worth keeping due to the lines which as stated will eventually cause a failure.

Thanks again

Kicking Bird I would be receptive to your 60 cases. I have a fluted weapon and reload those cases. PM me and I'll send you some beads for shipping.

Kwesi
04-06-2011, 12:45
Thanks Guys!

Thanks again

Kicking bird: I load 9mm and 10mm for my fluted weapons. No issues yet with the 9mm but some of the 10's are splitting after 3-5 loads. You might be seeing the black flute lines on the outside which may still be present after tumbling but these are not cracks in the case.

fredj338
04-06-2011, 12:52
Kicking bird: I load 9mm and 10mm for my fluted weapons. No issues yet with the 9mm but some of the 10's are splitting after 3-5 loads. You might be seeing the black flute lines on the outside which may still be present after tumbling but these are not cracks in the case.
And the 308 is running another what, 20Kpsi. Yes, they are reloadable, but they will fail sooner than brass from a std chamber.