How do you store your brass? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your brass?

themighty9mm
04-05-2011, 13:24
From the pictures I have seen, people tend to store their brass in containers with lids. Be it mason jars, some sort of tupperware, glad ware or things along those lines. I store mine in bins I found at home depote. They dont have lids. I am wondering if it will be a cause for concern? I have been doing it this way for around a year and have noticed no ill effects.
So how do you do it?

Flipz
04-05-2011, 13:27
Ziplock bags and really large empty pretzel jars.

ravenkeeper98
04-05-2011, 13:29
ziplock bags, then place them in a box.

Boxerglocker
04-05-2011, 13:36
All my 9mm dirty stuff goes in a 4 gallon empty kitty litter bucket with a lid. After cleaning it goes in old 1 gallon round plastic ice cream containers. Each holds about 2k and they stack nicely under my bench.
My .223 brass goes in those plastic shoe storage boxes, each labeled in the various stages of processing.

GioaJack
04-05-2011, 13:37
Unless you plan on storing brass outside and exposed to the elements brass requires no special storage procedures.

Leaving them in open containers is absolutely acceptable unless it actually rains or snows in your house. Over time the brass will tend to tarnish but that causes no ill effects and can be loaded as is with no concerns.

I have .38, .357, .44 spl., 44 mag and assorted rifle brass that have been stored in styrofoam inserts, exposed to the air sitting under the benches for well over 40 years that could all be loaded and shot today.

Other than a slight tarnishing they are no different than the brass I've had stored in sealed military ammo cans for the same amount of time.

Jack

MinervaDoe
04-05-2011, 13:38
ziplock bags, then place them in a box.
Lots of ziplocks in a tote box.

shotgunred
04-05-2011, 13:43
5 Gallon buckets.

If you can store your brass in ziplock back you need more brass: amateur.

PCJim
04-05-2011, 13:55
For the brass that will be reloaded near term: a combination of plastic (Folger) coffee cans, 30 & 50 cal ammo cans, and a few gallon size baggies.
For long term storage - excess 9mm is stored in two USPS large flat rate shipping boxes, securely sealed.

M1A Shooter
04-05-2011, 14:18
i keep a few empty cat litter buckets as well. i have a short bucket for clean 9mm and .223 each as well as tall buckets for dirty 9mm and .223. i have a couple full of once fired shotgun hulls and i keep one empty to take to the range with me. i keep the lids on them only because my wife is a neat freak and actually wanted me to put the brass in wicker baskets on a shelf so it looked neater. i just write on the buckets with a sharpie andstack them on the regular chrome wire shelving units.

hoffy
04-05-2011, 14:28
Buckets, boxes, the floor of my jeep, the floor of my reloading area, the only thing tha gets ziplocs is loaded ammo and brass I have polished so I can find it in the grass. I am somewhat of a slob(the wife gave up years ago) and I doube there is a room in the house that does not have a least one casing in it. Now, I would not load brass that may be damp without drying it, I use a mseh garment bag hung in front of the basement (or kitchen:-)) furnace register. I have had very dirty brass clean up with a few days of tumbling.....

marvin
04-05-2011, 15:07
40 brass goes into 5 gallon buckets, .223 into 1 1/2 gallon ice cream buckets everything else goes into plastic coffee cans.

ohspyro89
04-05-2011, 15:36
If you can store your brass in ziplock back you need more brass: amateur.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have mine all between ziplock bags, and different buckets for whatever stage they are in.

Right now, I still have some of the once fired stuff I bought off line in the ziplock bags he shipped it in. It needs deprimed, resized, and all of that.

All of my once fired, once fired by me of course, goes into a separate bucket to save until I run out of the stuff I haven't shot.

I also have a 200-300 pieces of brass primed and sized, ready for powder and bullets that I have in a separate bucket that ****s right behind my press.

Oh yeah, one more bucket that I throw all the unusable brass in. I had 600 Berdan primed 5.56 rounds that I threw in there, along with 4k-5k empty 22 lr casings. I think the prices per pound of brass is pretty decent. I don't know the procedure though of scrapping it, but I will eventually.

dudel
04-05-2011, 17:35
MTM field boxes. They are gasketed, so a desicant pack goes in with them.

Colorado4Wheel
04-05-2011, 18:04
Unpolished is stored in a 5 gallon bucket in the garage.

Polished and lubed is stored in a 1 Gallon Christmas Tin in a drawer.

WiskyT
04-05-2011, 18:21
Buckets, bags, boxes, I have it piling up in my garage, loading room, and the attic above my garage.

sig357fan
04-05-2011, 18:22
....plastic (Folger) coffee cans....

ONE GUY....ONE GUY.....said coffee cans, and plastic at that....

every reloading book I've ever read, with picture of a reloading room (tho they're old books with black and white pictures), had METAL coffee cans.

Good Lord, the smell of burn powder on dirty brass mixed with coffee grounds.......true Nirvana!!

:rofl:

sig357fan

MinervaDoe
04-05-2011, 19:16
I'm just relieved that nobody has told us about storing their brass in a hermetically sealed vault which simulates the atmospheric pressure at 3,722 feet above sea level.

LoadedTech
04-05-2011, 19:38
Good Lord, the smell of burn powder on dirty brass mixed with coffee grounds.......true Nirvana!!

:exercise: Spazzy happy face for you! I like large pickle jars, screw the lids up and hang the base. I've used ziplock freezer bags, they rip under the zip part with too much brass, Kitty litter buckets are great. Depends on which press I'm using. Hand press goes in stages, many bags, progressive press, bigger buckets and bins. We all have our niche.

labdwakin
04-05-2011, 19:45
4 gallon trash cans or 5 gallon buckets for pickup that needs processing.
Coffee cans(metal or plastic I'm not picky) for small quantity brass like 45 Colt and other similar.
processed brass gets sealed into .50 cal ammo cans preparatory to loading.

DoctaGlockta
04-05-2011, 19:47
Far away from any of the Brass Bandits here on GTR :whistling:

njl
04-05-2011, 19:54
5 Gallon buckets for the dirty stuff. 64oz juice bottles or large pretzel bottles for the clean stuff. Back before I reloaded, I'd just fill cheap "ziplock style" gallon bags and fill up small moving boxes with the bags.

GreenMill
04-05-2011, 19:57
Coffee cans. I like coffee. I wished I had a 5 gallon bucket full. I do take donations.

michael e
04-05-2011, 19:58
Tupperware from family dollar. Think it was about 6 for 6 lids and container. The largers ones get the brass i use most down to the smaller for odd casings for guns i have found brass for but no gun for yet.

gwalchmai
04-05-2011, 20:00
http://s.petco.com/assets/product_images/0/070230020628C.jpg

D. Manley
04-05-2011, 20:06
Being more than a bit OCD (some might use the more colorful term), cleaned, fully sized & prepped, sorted by caliber & headstamp and stored in plastic containers with lids.

sicbstrd
04-05-2011, 22:00
5 gallon buckets for me, for general storage. but about 2000 of each calibre in stackable containers with lids, shined, sorted by headstamp and bagged and on the shelf above my bench.

cowboy1964
04-05-2011, 22:24
Ziplocks for now. I only have about 400 9mm and 200 .45 ACP. Not enough to warrant huge storage boxes yet.

Zombie Steve
04-05-2011, 23:31
MTM field boxes. They are gasketed, so a desicant pack goes in with them.

Oh, that's right. You fellas have humidity, don't you?

On behalf of everyone over 5,280 feet above sea level, I'm required to call you a silly flatlander. :tongueout:

Zombie Steve
04-05-2011, 23:32
Cat litter cans, coffee cans, ziploc bags, cardboard boxes, 5 gallon buckets... whatever you have on hand.

El_Ron1
04-05-2011, 23:53
It's really a shame that a reloader can't live forever to use all he's got stashed.

WiskyT
04-06-2011, 17:45
It's really a shame that a reloader can't live forever to use all he's got stashed.

I used to come home with bags of brass from qualifications. Sometimes I would go two days in a row, even though not required, just so I could make off with more brass. I gave my father bushels of it. I think he knew he had a terminal illness even though he told us it was something else because he stopped picking up his brass. "I have enough to last me a lifetime." he said. I picked it up anyway thinking it might have been too hard for him to bend over. Anyway, he was right, I ended up carting a ton of brass I had given him back to my house after he passed on.

marvin
04-06-2011, 21:34
ONE GUY....ONE GUY.....said coffee cans, and plastic at that....

every reloading book I've ever read, with picture of a reloading room (tho they're old books with black and white pictures), had METAL coffee cans.

:rofl:

sig357fan

my feelings are hurt.

i know that i don't post a lot so i'm easy to over look (even though i'm 6'4 and 300 pounds but you cann't see that i guess) but i said plastic coffee cans too.
:tongueout:

Luminary
04-06-2011, 21:36
in a bag

Fuerte
04-06-2011, 21:47
My unsorted brass goes in a small bucket.

When I get around to sorting the brass by head stamp, it goes into 1 gallon freezer bags.

When a bag of any particular head stamp gets full, it gets cleaned and then goes back in a bag.

Bags of cleaned brass go in a large plastic box kept under my reloading bench.

ARSMITH
04-06-2011, 21:53
I store all my personal brass in plastic containers with lids for calibers that I have small amounts of. For all my brass that I have plenty of 40's 45's 223's 9mm and the such I use 5 gallon buckets with lids.

Now for the business, since we usually stock around 200,000-400,000 rounds of brass, we use five gallon buckets to hold the brass.

gjk5
04-06-2011, 22:48
Cat litter cans, coffee cans, ziploc bags, cardboard boxes, 5 gallon buckets... whatever you have on hand.

Yep. I will add margarita mix buckets, they work great. They are about 1.5gal and hold (if I 'member correctly) 750 .45ACP or .223 each. Stack well and easier to manhandle than 5gal.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll274/gjk5_photos/100_2191.jpg

Loudcherokee
04-06-2011, 23:42
A friend of mine is a body builder and goes through those protein shake jugs like crazy. He gives me all his jugs when they're empty, so I cut the labels off and use those. I also use the plastic coffee cans for smaller lots of brass, for example if I have a bunch all resized, trimmed, prepped, etc and ready to prime, charge, and seat.

LC

Zombie Steve
04-07-2011, 00:25
Ooops. Forgot. Dresser drawers and those two tiny cabinets over your refrigerator that you never put anything useful in.

Colorado4Wheel
04-07-2011, 07:55
The key to this entire thing is that you simply DO NOT pay for the container you put your brass in.

gwalchmai
04-07-2011, 08:32
The key to this entire thing is that you simply DO NOT pay for the container you put your brass in.Yes. Yes it is.

And we need a CRB smiley.

bush pilot
04-07-2011, 09:09
My brass goes in anything and everything I can find. We have friends that own Chinese restaurants so empty 5 gal soy sauce buckets aren't difficult to obtain. It never fails to amaze me, enough brass for 3 lifetimes and I still scrounge through brass buckets at the range.

gwalchmai
04-07-2011, 10:38
My brass goes in anything and everything I can find. We have friends that own Chinese restaurants so empty 5 gal soy sauce buckets aren't difficult to obtain. It never fails to amaze me, enough brass for 3 lifetimes and I still scrounge through brass buckets at the range.Same here. I finally laid down the law to myself that I only pick up .44 and non-ACP .45.

I was at the range one day and watched a fellow CRB dump an entire 5 gal range bucket directly into his range bag. I'm thinking chaw, primer dust, wads, WTF, and a ton of rimfire cases went home with him. Maybe he swages. ;)

sellersm
04-07-2011, 10:50
+1 to what Zombie Steve said -- those of us who are closer to the sky don't have to fight humidity! Silly flatlanders... :whistling:

Whatever I've got laying around, as C4W so eloquently said -- FREE THINGS!

The range I belong to hardly ever has any brass in the range buckets -- I think being a CRB is required for membership! :tongueout:

PCJim
04-07-2011, 10:57
Same here. I finally laid down the law to myself that I only pick up .44 and non-ACP .45.

I was at the range one day and watched a fellow CRB dump an entire 5 gal range bucket directly into his range bag. I'm thinking chaw, primer dust, wads, WTF, and a ton of rimfire cases went home with him. Maybe he swages. ;)

And we know he saves all the WTF to charge his cases when he gets around to actually reloading 'em. :cool:

All kidding aside, when I am inclined to scrounge at the local range (read - most trips), I just sweep everything up off the concrete floor, rimfire, alum, grit and whatever else. It all goes into a doubled up plastic grocery bag. There isn't time at the range to be picky with it. That's for down time while watching NASCAR on Sunday afternoons.

(Note to self - need to get a cable line and the flat panel installed in the garage)

fredj338
04-07-2011, 11:01
From the pictures I have seen, people tend to store their brass in containers with lids. Be it mason jars, some sort of tupperware, glad ware or things along those lines. I store mine in bins I found at home depote. They dont have lids. I am wondering if it will be a cause for concern? I have been doing it this way for around a year and have noticed no ill effects.
So how do you do it?

Yeah, you want the brass in air tight containers or they tarnish. Not a big deal, but if you bother tumbling & then store in open bins, they'll jaus thave to be tumbled again. I use open bins for fired brass & Costco size nut containers for cleaned brass. Large ziplock freezer bags are good too.:wavey:

gwalchmai
04-07-2011, 11:11
All kidding aside, when I am inclined to scrounge at the local range (read - most trips), I just sweep everything up off the concrete floor, rimfire, alum, grit and whatever else. It all goes into a doubled up plastic grocery bag. There isn't time at the range to be picky with it. That's for down time while watching NASCAR on Sunday afternoons.I usually have time at the range to pick through the buckets. I only get what's visible (so I know I miss a lot) and it only takes maybe fifteen minutes. I used to grab indiscriminately but I figured I was getting stuff somebody else might want (I did return the ones I don't reload). Heck, I read somewhere that there are guys out there who actually reload .40 S&W, even. :supergrin:

I find sorting brass to be therapeutic. I can sort a tumbler full in about an hour (maybe more for 9mm). I kinda zone out on it, and if I get tired or something else needs doing I can always leave it for another day.

gwalchmai
04-07-2011, 11:17
Yeah, you want the brass in air tight containers or they tarnish. I haven't done any long term controlled studies, but I have NuFinish tumbled brass that hasn't tarnished after 5 - 7 years, unsealed.

unclebob
04-07-2011, 11:26
I have brass stored in cat litter buckets free from a friend of mine. 1 to 5 gal buckets, military ammo can, plastic ice cream buckets, plastic coffee cans, plastic dish soap washer soap buckets. In other words if it is a bucket and plastic it is used for brass. Also have card board boxes with brass and shotgun hulls.
I have mesh bags that I take to the range. I just dump all the brass into the bag give a couple of shakes and that gets rid of a lot of the sand. When I get home I just dump them in a plastic bucket. And put the bag back into the truck for the next time to the range. When I sort, I have the shell sorters pans. I start out with the 9mm pan first just to get rid of most of the .22 brass. Then start out with the 45 pan and work my way down to the 9mm pan again. Throwing out the steel and aluminum cases as Iím working my way down through the pans as much as I can. I then hand sort the brass and keep all of the .380, Winchester 9mm, and 45acp brass and if any 45gap brass. And give the rest to my friends I shoot with.
The only brass that goes in a Zip Lock bag is the brass that I give away.

PCJim
04-07-2011, 13:01
I have brass stored in cat litter buckets free from a friend of mine.

Bob, your friend is rather smart. I suppose the free buckets kinda reduce the urge to shoot the cats.... :cool:

fredj338
04-07-2011, 13:08
I haven't done any long term controlled studies, but I have NuFinish tumbled brass that hasn't tarnished after 5 - 7 years, unsealed.
The Nufinish helps seal the brass, but I have brass in ZIplocks that has tarnished over 8-10yrs. Yeah, NuFin is good stuff.

WiskyT
04-07-2011, 16:04
I store all my personal brass in plastic containers with lids for calibers that I have small amounts of. For all my brass that I have plenty of 40's 45's 223's 9mm and the such I use 5 gallon buckets with lids.

Now for the business, since we usually stock around 200,000-400,000 rounds of brass, we use five gallon buckets to hold the brass.

So, it's for personal use, but you sell a little on the side to break even:supergrin:

WiskyT
04-07-2011, 16:09
Yep. I will add margarita mix buckets, they work great. They are about 1.5gal and hold (if I 'member correctly) 750 .45ACP or .223 each. Stack well and easier to manhandle than 5gal.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll274/gjk5_photos/100_2191.jpg

If you're going to drink that much, don't you think you ought to switch to something a little more, well, masculine? Maybe cosmopolitans?

WiskyT
04-07-2011, 16:10
Bob, your friend is rather smart. I suppose the free buckets kinda reduce the urge to shoot the cats.... :cool:

...but doesn't eliminate it:whistling:

GLShooter
04-07-2011, 17:01
I use big Tupperware tubs and 40 pound kitty litter buckets for my brass.
Greg

bush pilot
04-07-2011, 22:02
And we know he saves all the WTF to charge his cases when he gets around to actually reloading 'em. :cool:

All kidding aside, when I am inclined to scrounge at the local range (read - most trips), I just sweep everything up off the concrete floor, rimfire, alum, grit and whatever else. It all goes into a doubled up plastic grocery bag. There isn't time at the range to be picky with it. That's for down time while watching NASCAR on Sunday afternoons.

(Note to self - need to get a cable line and the flat panel installed in the garage)

I'd have to find something to keep me awake if NASCAR was on TV too.

SilentVectorX
04-07-2011, 23:13
I don't have a good source for any kind of decent sized plastic container... I drink coffee, but not nearly enough to amass a pile of cans.

Anyway, I ended up buying $1 plastic shoeboxes at Target. Cheap, and they stack well. Transparent, too! So I can easily tell whats in them. My brass collection is only about 8 shoeboxes worth now. :D

G36pilot
04-08-2011, 01:50
Far away from any of the Brass Bandits here on GTR :whistling:

With the good Doc's advise in mind, I offer secure storage of 9mm & 40 S&W brass for anyone here. Additionally, it will be regularly exercised to prevent tarnishing. :whistling:

IndyGunFreak
04-08-2011, 02:49
The key to this entire thing is that you simply DO NOT pay for the container you put your brass in.

LOL... I fail. I'm kinda OCD about stuff looking disorganized. I tried the 5 gallon buckets, and it caused me to break out in hives.. :rofl:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-5-Drawer-Wide-Tower-White/15442448?findingMethod=rr

I got it a little cheaper at KMart, w/ a relatives employee discount. The two small drawers, are perfect for my .38spl and .357 needs. The larger drawers are for 9, 40, .45.

I come home from the range, tumble, inspect, sort... then they go in the drawer.

IGF

gjk5
04-08-2011, 08:18
If you're going to drink that much, don't you think you ought to switch to something a little more, well, masculine? Maybe cosmopolitans?

I typically only drink vodka or bourbon but it's hard to get the brass in and out of the neck of the bottle.:supergrin:

WiskyT
04-08-2011, 15:14
I typically only drink vodka or bourbon but it's hard to get the brass in and out of the neck of the bottle.:supergrin:

:supergrin:

capreppy
04-09-2011, 10:36
I'm somewhat OCD about my brass storage. I prefer the Walmart Sterilite Latch Boxes. Don't buy them instore as they are double the price over walmart.com and use Ship to Store for free.

1.2Qt (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-1.2-Qt-Modular-Latch-Box-Lapis-Set-of-6/15442444) for prepped 9mm (500 round batches of cleaned, sized, & primed, just waiting on Powder & Bullet)
2.7qt (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-18pc-2.7qt-Modular-Latch-Box-Set-Navy/15136542) for prepped .45ACP (500 round batches, same as above)
5.5qt (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-12pc-5.5qt-Modular-Latch-Box-Set-Navy/15136545) for mass storage of cleaned brass.

These stack very well. I reload in my home office and my wife wants the office to look clean. These satisfy her.

gjk5
04-09-2011, 15:00
I'm somewhat OCD about my brass storage. I prefer the Walmart Sterilite Latch Boxes. Don't buy them instore as they are double the price over walmart.com and use Ship to Store for free.

1.2Qt (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-1.2-Qt-Modular-Latch-Box-Lapis-Set-of-6/15442444) for prepped 9mm (500 round batches of cleaned, sized, & primed, just waiting on Powder & Bullet)
2.7qt (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-18pc-2.7qt-Modular-Latch-Box-Set-Navy/15136542) for prepped .45ACP (500 round batches, same as above)
5.5qt (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-12pc-5.5qt-Modular-Latch-Box-Set-Navy/15136545) for mass storage of cleaned brass.

These stack very well. I reload in my home office and my wife wants the office to look clean. These satisfy her.

$30 for a plastic bin?

I'll use freebies and buy another 1K primers thanks.

heh, should have opened the window up all the way. just noticed it was a set of 12.

capreppy
04-09-2011, 15:07
$30 for a plastic bin?

I'll use freebies and buy another 1K primers thanks.

heh, should have opened the window up all the way. just noticed it was a set of 12.

The bins are sold as a package.

For $30, you get 12 of the 5.5qt ($2.50 per box where the store normally has them for $4 a piece) or 18 of the 2.7qt ($1.67 per box where the store normally has them for $2.50 to $300 a piece).

Freebies would be nice, but I have an edict from the wife. Make it look clean. My wife approves of these so this is what I stick with.

gwalchmai
04-09-2011, 16:50
Our WM has the Sterilite stuff for the discounted price. But yeah, CRB rules preclude buyin' stuff like that. My secretary turned me on to free 3 gal bubble gum buckets last week. Great for low quantities.

StaTiK
04-09-2011, 23:15
"CRB"?

-StaTiK-

IndyGunFreak
04-10-2011, 01:25
"CRB"?

-StaTiK-

Cheap Rat Bastard.. :)

IGF

El_Ron1
04-10-2011, 08:16
http://i54.tinypic.com/wqodis.jpg

byf43
04-10-2011, 08:52
5 gallon buckets, coffee cans (metal and plastic), zip-lock bags, tupperware, shoe boxes, 'mesh' bags that are pillowcase sized.

gwalchmai
04-10-2011, 09:06
I was cleaning out a box of stuff from my garage last week and came across a "CRB LAND" sticker that Joe had sent me over a year ago. It had been mixed in with a bunch of lead and stuff we'd swapped in a brass trade. It truly adds a touch of class to my reloading bench. ;)

357glocker
04-10-2011, 09:13
Plastic Laundry detergent jugs with the top cut out work great. The big family size tide ones with a handle will hold a bunch of brass.

StaTiK
04-10-2011, 09:37
Thanks Indy. I try to search for it, but apparently Google doesn't have as robust a vocabulary as us at GTR. :cool:

-StaTiK-

sigman69
04-19-2011, 15:47
30 and 50cal ammo cans that I got cheap years ago when I helped a couple dealers do local gun shows....they work and all are labeled(label gun). All the other ways..cheese ball containers, kitty litter plastic tubs, etc will all work just as well.

zainyD
04-20-2011, 16:48
Unsorted and scrap brass is kept in a five gallon bucket. After sorting it is put in ziplock bags and finally fully processed brass is kept in a .50cal can.