Blue team or Red team? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Blue team or Red team?

Cavalry Doc
04-05-2011, 20:17
Probably been done before, but I'm looking at progressive presses.

Hornady vs. Dillon.

If dillon, is the 650 good enough, or will the 1050 become a necessity.

Mainly .380, 9mm, .40 & 45, maybe later do some .223 and .308.

Cost is always an issue, but if a few hundred more saves me some time and frustration, I'll be able to swing it.

What are your thoughts? Most interested in those that are willing to discuss the shortcomings of the ones they own. I don't expect perfection, but would prefer enough advice to go in with my eyes wide open.

Thanks,

Doc

GioaJack
04-05-2011, 20:33
Not gonna open the Red vs. Blue can of worms, I own both and like both but be aware that with separate tool heads caliber conversions will run around $400 each on the 1050... maybe a bit less since you'll only have to buy one primer conversion.

It's really at it's best when it's used as a dedicated caliber machine or maybe converting just a few times per year.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
04-05-2011, 20:36

Hornady vs. Dillon.

Cost is always an issue, but if a few hundred more saves me some time and frustration, I'll be able to swing it.

What are your thoughts? Most interested in those that are willing to discuss the shortcomings of the ones they own. I don't expect perfection, but would prefer enough advice to go in with my eyes wide open.

Thanks,

Doc

With out a budget and and a volume that you load of each caliber all you will get is peoples bias. Advice should be based on your need not people's bias. Also, what are you loading on now.

Trust me. You don't need a 1050 for all those calibers.

shotgunred
04-05-2011, 20:51
The Dillon RL550B

RL550B is manual-indexing four station progressive press. The Dillon RL550B is the workhorse Dillon press line. It can load almost any center fire rifle or pistol cartridge. It has 120 caliber conversions available for it. In the Dillon line the Dillon RL550B is the most economical add calibers to. It has less expensive caliber conversions than other Dillon presses. If you were buying just one Dillon press and wanted the most bang for the buck, it would be a Dillon RL550B. According to Dillon more RL550s have been sold than any other progressive machine in the world.
One Hour Production Rate 400 - 500, I average about 450 rounds an hour (pistol).
Cost $376.00 12 2010
Upside simple and easy to use.
downside the primer system is the Achilles heel of the 550. You have to clean it every 1K rounds or so. 8 out of 10 times you have a problem with the 550 it has something to do with the priming system. The optional case feeder only works with pistol cases. It is a four station press. My biggest gripe is letting go of the handle each time to place a new case.

The Dillon XL650
The XL 650 is auto-indexing five station progressive press. The XL 650 was built from the ground up to be an auto-indexing press with a case feeder. The Dillon XL650 comes standard with a tube system for an automatic case feeder. The automatic case feeder is sold separately So the advertised starting price doesn’t accurately reflect the true price of a Dillon XL650. A fully set up Dillon XL650 cost twice what a Dillon RL550B cost but produces twice as much ammo an hour. The caliber conversions for the Dillon XL650 are noticeably more expensive than the RL550B and the LNL. For large volume reloading, versatility and ease of use a Dillon XL650 is hard to beat.
One Hour Production Rate 800 – 1150
Mine was not adjusted right from the factory and it took a little fiddling to get it working 100%. Five station press so you can use a powder cop or a bullet feeder with it. People who try to force the primers in when they have had a problem have set off the entire tube of primers.

Boxerglocker
04-05-2011, 21:16

Hornady vs. Dillon.

Thanks,

Doc

I personally don't know of anyone other than one person that has a LNL and he loads not more than a couple hundred rounds at a time with it. Does not have a casefeeder and to be honest I'm skeptical that his experience is a good basis for comparison. I can only speak of the XL650 and my experience with it being pretty much zero problems after a little over 6K rounds of 9mm since October last year.

If you go the 650 route is your conversions are pretty much interchangable. Meaning if the between the 6 calibers that you could actually mix up parts and need only 4 of the conversions along with a extra piece or two.

Between the .380, 9mm, and .223 you only need the 9mm and .223 conversion plus the .380 case feed adapter ($12) and .45 and .308 share more than half the same parts.

That being said. I wouldn't advise going the 650 route unless you load at least 1000-1500 rounds of 2 or more of the calibers you have listed and in that don't get a 650 unless you shell out right at the get go with a casefeeder. YMMV.

EL_NinO619
04-05-2011, 21:41
I personally don't know of anyone other than one person that has a LNL and he loads not more than a couple hundred rounds at a time with it. Does not have a casefeeder and to be honest I'm skeptical that his experience is a good basis for comparison. I can only speak of the XL650 and my experience with it being pretty much zero problems after a little over 6K rounds of 9mm since October last year.

If you go the 650 route is your conversions are pretty much interchangable. Meaning if the between the 6 calibers that you could actually mix up parts and need only 4 of the conversions along with a extra piece or two.

Between the .380, 9mm, and .223 you only need the 9mm and .223 conversion plus the .380 case feed adapter ($12) and .45 and .308 share more than half the same parts.

That being said. I wouldn't advise going the 650 route unless you load at least 1000-1500 rounds of 2 or more of the calibers you have listed and in that don't get a 650 unless you shell out right at the get go with a casefeeder. YMMV.

I load hundreds i mean hundreds to near a thousand rouns on my LnL all the time. After initial setuo problem, I think mostly to being unfamilar with PP I havr haf no problem. For me the lnl was a no brainer, caliber and primer change over is faster even witg the ubber expensive dillon tool head. Five stations for the price of a 550. The shellplate has a lot less play in it, which makes for easier primer seating on military .223 brass, thr spring case retaner is far better than the brass pins and auto indexing is where its at IMPO. But the Dillons are great and have far many more "expensive" upgrades. But for me the LnL is great thats why I have 2..

EL_NinO619
04-05-2011, 21:43
Sorry about spelling on new smart phone, not looking so smart hey..

But I also forgot to mention the 500 free bullets you get from Hornady..thats right

albyihat
04-05-2011, 21:47
I have a 550 and love it, my neighbor just got a LNL and from the few hundred rds loaded on it he loves it. Both presses are solid I can't speak for the 650 never used it.

fredj338
04-06-2011, 00:15
The 1050 is a great press for loading 1000s of rounds at one time in one caliber. The 650 is not all that much slower, but is slower, easier to reset for diff calibers, less comlicated & cheaper. IMO, unless you shoot more than 1000rds of one caliber per week, no one needs a 1050. Now want, whole nother question. IMO, get the 650 & case feeder, spend the extra money on a bullet feeder, Hornady or RCBS, & you'll be loading pretty much w/ the 1050, 1000rds/hr, w/ sim complications, but less cost.

labdwakin
04-06-2011, 02:42
Dillon 450/550 platform... not auto-indexing, has primer problems and needs a lot of cleaning, on the up-side you have more control and caliber conversions are less expensive. I know a LOT of people that have had 550s for YEARS and really like them. The 450 is great if you want a decent production rate for a single caliber but a ROYAL PITA if you want to change calibers. The 550 changes calibers easy if you have tool heads with powder measures all set up and ready to go.

Dillon XL650... This is a pretty nice press, very fast, but if the priming system ever gets screwed up, it will take some time to fix. I only load one caliber on my 650, that's 45 ACP... and so I don't change calibers on it very often (more like NEVER). Like Fred said, it's fast if you deck it out, but will have limitations. The block that actuates the rotation of the primer disc wears down over time and will need replacing eventually, and so will the auto-index pawl on the under-side of the ram head. If you know a good machinist, you might be able to get it made out of aluminum or something that had a little more durability to it if you aren't the kind of person that will try to force something if there's a problem. Caliber conversions are more expensive for this press than the 550, but, if you have all the shell plates for your casefeeder, they have everything you need to change calibers.

Hornady LNL.... A really close friend of mine bought one of these about the same time I bought my 650... the only drawback I've seen for this press is that the powder measure HATES 4198 stick powder for 223s, you'll ruin more case necks trying to use stick powder for 223 than you can imagine. Other than that, and despite Steve's issues with his, this is a fine press and the cheapest of all of them to change over from caliber to caliber. The casefeed system costs a bit more than Dillon's, but the press is a bit less expensive so it all evens out. I don't own one so I'm not quite as intimately familiar with their foibles and tendencies. :)

The four station progressives allow you watch what's going on a little better than the 5 stations but still leave a hole for a FCD (Factory Crimp Die) for your AR ammo.

The 5 station presses leave room for a powder check if you'd like one and are MUCH faster.

That's all I can tell you, sir!

jmorris
04-06-2011, 05:43
I have them all and would say a 650 with case and bullet feed will cost less and be faster than a base 1050 by quite a bit. I would also rather have two (large and small primer) 650's than a single 1050. Looking at current pricing, the 1050 is almost 3 times the price of the 650. I have GSI bullet feeders on mine for 38/357, 9mm, 40 and 45 with powder check dies. It takes around 3.5 minutes to load 100 rounds once you have everything full.

If money is not an issue a 1050 with bullet feed is the fastest way to load .223/.308 with crimped primer pockets (I also use a 650 to trim though). After I anneal and trim loading rifle on the 1050, also with bullet feeders, is just as fast a pistol on the 650. With an auto drive it actually loads slower than I do by hand but I can case gauge as it's loading so it still cuts total process time by 25% or so.

The LNL works and the base machine price makes it a good deal but if you plan on having case feed some day the 650 is a better idea as it comes standard with the case feeder (and it works). What Dillon calls their case feeder is actually the collator for the case feeder.

Cavalry Doc
04-06-2011, 08:11
With out a budget and and a volume that you load of each caliber all you will get is peoples bias. Advice should be based on your need not people's bias. Also, what are you loading on now.

Trust me. You don't need a 1050 for all those calibers.

Under 4 grand. What I don't spend here will be spent on other toys and gifts.

Now, loading .270, 30-06, .308 on single stage presses. Want to shoot much more, 500 rounds or so of handgun every 2 weeks or so. I figure at that volume, a progressive is starting to make sense, even when I calculate an hourly wage for myself + components.

El_Ron1
04-06-2011, 08:14
Dirka dirka Dillon.

Three-Five-Seven
04-06-2011, 09:51
O.P. Rifle length cartridges don't work out well on progressives because they are top heavy and ten to fall over when the press advances. The Hornady press is better in this regard because the shell plate only advances half a station on the down stroke and half on the up stroke.

It sounds to me like you would be well suited for a Dillon SDB and a turret to load your rifle stuff on.

If you are not involved in a shooting sport -- i.e. you don't shoot competitively -- then you really don't need a progressive press.

Colorado4Wheel
04-06-2011, 11:15

Now, loading .270, 30-06, .308 on single stage presses. Want to shoot much more, 500 rounds or so of handgun every 2 weeks or so. I figure at that volume, a progressive is starting to make sense, even when I calculate an hourly wage for myself + components.

550 would make perfect sense. You don't need a casefeeder for that volume. You could always add a casefeed machine later for your 1 or 2 high volume calibers and use the 550 for everything else. 550 will load rifle easily because indexing is controlled by your hand not the machines indexing speed.

unclebob
04-06-2011, 12:32
I well just say either get the 650 or 550. Depending on how much you want to spend. Time you have to load.etc. Yes on the 650 caliber conversions cost more. And if you do it right changing from one caliber to another is not hard or time consuming. Last night I just changed from 45acp. After only loading 30 test rounds on it to 9mm. It took me 6 minutes.
If you look at the LNL with case feeder and the Dillon 650. The Dillon is about $70.00 more. But to me you well have a better quality of a press. And from what I can see a lot less adjustments to set or to go out of whack.
So for you and what you have said so far either the 550 or 650.

Colorado4Wheel
04-06-2011, 12:42
Before you buy price out the 650 with all the stuff you think you would buy.
Then again with the 550 all the stuff the same as 650 (but no casefeeder).
Then price out two 550's. One for LP and one for SP. Save you one complete caliber conversion as well.

That should help you decide.

fredj338
04-06-2011, 12:54

At that rate for handgun ammo, the 1050 may actually be slower do to change over. 500rds a week is easily done on a LNL or 550B w/o case feeder, maybe 75min for 500rds on either running leisurely. For rifle, the manual advance of the 550B does not slow you down. You have to wait a bit for the 30-45gr of powder to drop, auto index isn't much of an advantage there & since you only need two stations for most rifle rounds, you can put the powder check die in #3.

jmorris
04-06-2011, 18:58
O.P. Rifle length cartridges don't work out well on progressives because they are top heavy and ten to fall over when the press advances. The Hornady press is better in this regard because the shell plate only advances half a station on the down stroke and half on the up stroke.

The half stroke is a PITA with long rifle rounds as you have to start the bullet up into the die and then set in onto the case once it comes around.

Not sure what "well" is to you but the link below is a video of my bullet fed 1050 loading at a 100 rounds in 2.5 minute rate.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/1050.mp4

cole
04-06-2011, 21:47
Blue. Warrenty. Resale. Function.

shotgunred
04-07-2011, 04:44
Re sale is certianly something to consider. I just sold my Dillon 550 for $40. less than I paid for it three or four years ago. I upgraded to a 650 and didn't want or need two presses at the same time.

Orange
04-07-2011, 22:05
Green Team here:supergrin::wavey:.
RCBS Pro 2000.
14,000 rounds of pistol and rifle combined. There is a Youtube video of a RCBS Pro 2000 that has in excess of 100,000 on it. You can tell simply by the number of priming strips he has left over form loading sessions.
Priming system feeds like a conveyer belt of 25 primers per "priming strip". No way to cause multiple primer detonation.
Manual indexing OR purchase the kit to make it AUTO indexing if you wish.
Caliber conversions are CHEAPER. Shell plates run between $27 to $35 depending on where you get them.
Excellent customer service. I have needed small things just like you do for the Dillon presses. I received all of it for FREE.

I debated the same as you are now. I added up all the costs and it was cheaper in the long run with the RCBS....still is in some instances.

Best
Orange

norton
04-08-2011, 05:30
IMHO, the Dillon 550 would be almost perfect if it automatically indexed. It is a simple and rugged press, and should last a lifetime. I have also had primer issues with mine, it just required some adjustments suggested by Dillons excellent customer service.

Psychman
04-08-2011, 06:16
550B will do everything you want unless you are in the business of selling ammo.

I have tool heads, powder measures, caliber converstions for all calibers so all I have to do is change out a tool head and I am ready to go. Plus blue is my favorite color.

Boxerglocker
04-08-2011, 11:15
The half stroke is a PITA with long rifle rounds as you have to start the bullet up into the die and then set in onto the case once it comes around.

Not sure what "well" is to you but the link below is a video of my bullet fed 1050 loading at a 100 rounds in 2.5 minute rate.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/1050.mp4

I have to agree with you jmorris, the Horandy half stroke shell movement would also IMO be a PITA. Man seeing that video gets me back to thinking about buying a 1050 just to do rifle alone. Wish I could afford it right now :crying:

jmorris
04-08-2011, 11:31
That's all I load on that machine. I use bullet fed 650's for pistol rounds. They are just as fast, cost less and the priming system is better IMO but the swage on the 1050 is the bees knees.

Cavalry Doc
04-08-2011, 18:03
OK, so I am at least starting to price packages.......

Where is the best place to buy dillon stuff?

Boxerglocker
04-08-2011, 18:05
OK, so I am at least starting to price packages.......

Where is the best place to buy dillon stuff?

Brian Enos dot com, FREE drop shipping direct from Dillon for orders over $400

Boxerglocker
04-08-2011, 18:08
I load hundreds i mean hundreds to near a thousand rouns on my LnL all the time. After initial setuo problem, I think mostly to being unfamilar with PP I havr haf no problem. For me the lnl was a no brainer, caliber and primer change over is faster even witg the ubber expensive dillon tool head. Five stations for the price of a 550. The shellplate has a lot less play in it, which makes for easier primer seating on military .223 brass, thr spring case retaner is far better than the brass pins and auto indexing is where its at IMPO. But the Dillons are great and have far many more "expensive" upgrades. But for me the LnL is great thats why I have 2..

Hey El_NinO619... have you had a casefeeder setup on either your presses yet? Curious if your experiences will be similar to C4W's :dunno:

Cavalry Doc
04-08-2011, 19:23
XL 650 XL 650
Stock #: Dillon XL 650
Caliber Type: .308/.30-06

Dillon's XL 650 Toolholders XL 650 w/Wrench Set

XL 650 Caliber Conversion Kit
Caliber Type: .380 ACP

Caliber Type: 9mm/.38 Super

Caliber Type: .40 S&W

Caliber Type: .223/5.56mm

Dillon Roller Handle (Aluminum) Dillon Roller Handle (Aluminum)
Stock #: 17950

Dillon Carbide Pistol Dies (Three-Die Sets)
Die Type: .380 Auto -
Die Type: 9mm -
Die Type: .45 ACP/GAP -
Die Type: 10mm/.40 S&W -

Dillon Carbide Rifle Dies (Three-Die Sets)
Die Type: .223 Remington -
Die Type: .308 Winchester -

XL 650 Quick Change XL 650 Quick Change
Stock #: 22059

Dillon Powder Check Dillon Powder Check
Stock #: 21044

Dillon Low Powder Sensor Dillon Low Powder Sensor
Stock #: 16306

Dillon Aluminum Bullet Tray-for Square Deal, RL550 & XL650

Dillon Universal Mounting Hardware Kit
Stock #: 14355

Dillon's Instructional DVDs for Reloading Machines
reloading machine DVDs: XL650 DVD

Primer Pickup Tubes, 2 Small, 2 Large
Stock #: 20056

XL 650 Toolhead (x3)
Stock #: 13863

Dillon Primer System Early Warning Kit
Stock #: 20302

OK, here is my current "wish list". What is unnecessary, and more importantly, what is missing.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/CavDoc-3.gif

Edited to add, Any recommendations on a bullet feeder?

Boxerglocker
04-09-2011, 00:45
OK, here is my current "wish list". What is unnecessary, and more importantly, what is missing.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/CavDoc-3.gif

Edited to add, Any recommendations on a bullet feeder?

The primer early warning comes with the 650, not need to buy separately.

I would pass on the low powder sensor, not needed unless you load blindfolded.

You won't need a .380 conversion, use the .223 conversion with a .380 only casefeed adapter ($13) and your 9mm funnel.

Depending on your bench seriously condsider a strongmount, which you will NEED to get if you intend on getting a bullet tray.

shotgunred
04-09-2011, 07:52
Dillon Carbide Rifle Dies (Three-Die Sets)
Die Type: .223 Remington -
Die Type: .308 Winchester -

There is no reason to buy the Carbide Rifle Die sets. You are going to have to lube anyways so save a little money and just buy the normal ones.

Dillon's Instructional DVDs for Reloading Machines
reloading machine DVDs: XL650 DVD

Totally unnecessary expense. Anyone with the slightest mechanical ability can put it together. You can always look at the videos on the internet if you need to.

GioaJack
04-09-2011, 09:37
Spare parts kit. As you use parts out of it call Dillon and they will replace the part. Saves several days down time waiting on the mail.

Jack

themighty9mm
04-09-2011, 13:46
Just a heads up. With each die set you are probablly going to want a tool head and powder die. Also for each tool head you may want a tool head stand

Cavalry Doc
04-09-2011, 15:25
The primer early warning comes with the 650, not need to buy separately.

I would pass on the low powder sensor, not needed unless you load blindfolded.

You won't need a .380 conversion, use the .223 conversion with a .380 only casefeed adapter ($13) and your 9mm funnel.

Depending on your bench seriously condsider a strongmount, which you will NEED to get if you intend on getting a bullet tray.

Thanks, that is very useful information. I have a home built strong mount.
Made from some spare treated rafter wood.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/tools.jpg

It doesn't budge.

Don't really want to take up any more open space, so will ditch the bullet tray, low powder sensor, primer early warning sensor, and .380 conversion. Will add the .380 case feed adapter.

Thanks!! :wavey:

Ditched the CD's and Added the spare parts kit.

Thanks guys.

Cavalry Doc
04-09-2011, 15:27
OK, now on the subject of carbide dies....

I planned to lube the cases anyway. I figured that would make the case slide into the dies a lot easier, and also prolong the life of all parts and components alike. In this case, I have the cash to spend on it if it will actually make a difference.

Thoughts??

Cavalry Doc
04-09-2011, 15:30
Oh, and a bullet feeder? Anyone use one they like?

Cavalry Doc
04-09-2011, 15:42
Just a heads up. With each die set you are probablly going to want a tool head and powder die. Also for each tool head you may want a tool head stand

https://www.dillonprecision.com/uimages/missing_images/22059_xl_650_quick_change_m.jpg

Planning on getting at least two of these, maybe three. Some calibers will not be loaded that often.

GioaJack
04-09-2011, 16:13
In the world of pistol dies buying carbide is a no brainer... even if you think you're going to lube.

With carbide if you want to lube, fine, it makes it a little easier. Without carbide, you have to lube each and every case.

As one who went several years having to lube cases until they came out with carbide I can truthfully say they are worth every penny.

Jack

Cavalry Doc
04-09-2011, 17:16
In the world of pistol dies buying carbide is a no brainer... even if you think you're going to lube.

With carbide if you want to lube, fine, it makes it a little easier. Without carbide, you have to lube each and every case.

As one who went several years having to lube cases until they came out with carbide I can truthfully say they are worth every penny.

Jack

It just seems logical. :dunno: This is one of the few times where cash is not the limiting factor. If it's a good thing to have, go ahead.

I already have RCBS or Lee dies for .270, .308(x2), .30-06. But all are standard dies.

I figure for the .270 and .30-o6, I'll stick to the single stage, and the RCBS Charge Master 1500. And for the LR 308 AP4, at least for the first 3 mags.

But for the zombie invasion, and IDPA, volume is a priority. I don't do IDPA, yet, but I'm gonna do some IDPA and 3 gun matches, even if it kills me.

shotgunred
04-09-2011, 17:42
I just got back from an IDPA match. Fun, fun. fun.

Jack is right pistol dies buying carbide is the way to go. It is the rifle carbide dies that are a waste of money.
I have a friend that has each caliber he reloads set up with a complete Deluxe Quick-Change Kit.
http://www.brianenos.com/images/dil_pic/650qc.jpg To me that is over kill. I am willing to share the Powder Measure with several calibers. I can see were one for rifle and one for pistol makes sense though. But if you have the cash it is a nice way to go. I just buy a tool head and a powder funnel for mine. It only takes a few minutes to switch the Powder Measure onto another powder funnel.

One thing you may not have though of would be an extra tool head and a RF 1200B Case Trimmer. If you are processing a lot of rifle brass it could save you a lot of time.
http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.case_trim.html
http://www.brianenos.com/store/img/d.trimmer.jpg

Cavalry Doc
04-09-2011, 20:47
I just got back from an IDPA match. Fun, fun. fun.

Jack is right pistol dies buying carbide is the way to go. It is the rifle carbide dies that are a waste of money.
I have a friend that has each caliber he reloads set up with a complete Deluxe Quick-Change Kit.
http://www.brianenos.com/images/dil_pic/650qc.jpg To me that is over kill. I am willing to share the Powder Measure with several calibers. I can see were one for rifle and one for pistol makes sense though. But if you have the cash it is a nice way to go. I just buy a tool head and a powder funnel for mine. It only takes a few minutes to switch the Powder Measure onto another powder funnel.

One thing you may not have though of would be an extra tool head and a RF 1200B Case Trimmer. If you are processing a lot of rifle brass it could save you a lot of time.
http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.case_trim.html
http://www.brianenos.com/store/img/d.trimmer.jpg

I'm not sure about going that far. At some point, money does come into play. I enjoy the case prep process with a lee system (cutter, guide rods, chamfer and deburring) attached to my cordless drill.

For what that costs, I could hire a kid to do it for me..... Not that I'd shoot his reloads.... but you get the idea.

There are several powered case prep centers, I've been looking at them.

I'll probably start off without even the bullet feeder, but may upgrade after a while....

Maybe I need to find a video of the trimmer being used?

Colorado4Wheel
04-09-2011, 20:51
I don't know why people automatically get everything for a Dillon. 650, casefeeder, strongmount (if you need it, I don't). Your done. Maybe the roller handle. Not needed but nice.

Cavalry Doc
04-09-2011, 21:08
I don't know why people automatically get everything for a Dillon. 650, casefeeder, strongmount (if you need it, I don't). Your done. Maybe the roller handle. Not needed but nice.

That's what I am exploring. What is a good idea, and what is a regrettable purchase 1 year later.

I'm gonna think about it fir a while, but have pretty much settled on a direction on which to move.

shotgunred
04-09-2011, 21:16
Boxer has one (1200B Case Trimmer) and I keep trying to come up with an excuse to bring down one or two (ok 3K) pices of brass down to see how it works.:rofl:

XDRoX
04-09-2011, 21:31
Hey El_NinO619... have you had a casefeeder setup on either your presses yet? Curious if your experiences will be similar to C4W's :dunno:

No he doesn't yet. He's planning on getting one soon though. I can't wait to load on it. I'm scared to put one on my 550b because one of the things I love about it is its simplicity. Reading about all these problems online makes me appreciate the fact that my 550b works so well. If I clean the primer stuff every 1k rounds it runs perfect. I don't want to mess that up.

Boxerglocker
04-09-2011, 21:53
Boxer has one (1200B Case Trimmer) and I keep trying to come up with an excuse to bring down one or two (ok 3K) pices of brass down to see how it works.:rofl:

SOON... Very soon! I just got a new bench and am moving my gear into the spare room of my apartment. Then, I'll have 2-3 hours a night when I get home from work during the week to get it all dial in. Here is a video of it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLyK1UwuK3M&feature=related on a XL650

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6eChz7MeEw&NR=1 on a 550B

It is a big expense $300 for the trimmer motor, trim/size die and toolhead, plus another $100 for the super swage. I feel however it will be all worth it.
Size, trim tumble off lube... NO NEED to deburr or chamfer... load up FMJBT's.

Boxerglocker
04-09-2011, 21:58

Like I said before a XL650 without a case feeder is like cornflakes without the milk.
The strongmount arguement I've given you in the past, for me it was a necessity and at this point definately a preference. The bullet tray only make sense if you have a strongmount and the roller handle... well that too is a must IMHO. (I tried it standard with one of Adam's billard balls too... no thanks I'll take the roller).

Cavalry Doc
04-10-2011, 07:24
SOON... Very soon! I just got a new bench and am moving my gear into the spare room of my apartment. Then, I'll have 2-3 hours a night when I get home from work during the week to get it all dial in. Here is a video of it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLyK1UwuK3M&feature=related on a XL650

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6eChz7MeEw&NR=1 on a 550B

It is a big expense $300 for the trimmer motor, trim/size die and toolhead, plus another $100 for the super swage. I feel however it will be all worth it.
Size, trim tumble off lube... NO NEED to deburr or chamfer... load up FMHBT's.

Just picked up that all you were doing in the video was case prep, and not loading. Initially wondered if brass shavings in the case were a problem.

Does the trimmer chamfer and debur too?

dudel
04-10-2011, 07:50

For me, that's where the 550b shines. You control how fast the shellplate indexes.

dudel
04-10-2011, 07:53
https://www.dillonprecision.com/uimages/missing_images/22059_xl_650_quick_change_m.jpg

Planning on getting at least two of these, maybe three. Some calibers will not be loaded that often.

These are easy enough to build. I had a link earlier to ones I made.

dudel
04-10-2011, 07:55

I think many prefer Adam's balls to the Dillons handle. :supergrin:

Cavalry Doc
04-10-2011, 08:04
These are easy enough to build. I had a link earlier to ones I made.

It's not just the stand, it's the Toolhead, TH Stand and Powder Measure

The stand looks pretty simple. I'll look for the link.

dudel
04-10-2011, 08:29
It's not just the stand, it's the Toolhead, TH Stand and Powder Measure

The stand looks pretty simple. I'll look for the link.

Build them for both. Here's the link.
https://picasaweb.google.com/donudel/DillonStands#

I use the Dillon coversion box to hold the shellplate, pins, AND some cases with spent primers (backwards) to set the powder dump and case length for when I change projectiles.

Cavalry Doc
04-10-2011, 09:25
Build them for both. Here's the link.
https://picasaweb.google.com/donudel/DillonStands#

I use the Dillon coversion box to hold the shellplate, pins, AND some cases with spent primers (backwards) to set the powder dump and case length for when I change projectiles.

Nice work, I'll probably make something similar for a few of the calibers.

That particular item is not being bought for the stand, but for the toolhead and powder measure.

Buying them individually comes out to $102.90,
Buying them with the stand costs $101.95.

So, essentially, they are paying me 85 cents to take the stand off their hands.

Boxerglocker
04-10-2011, 10:49
Just picked up that all you were doing in the video was case prep, and not loading. Initially wondered if brass shavings in the case were a problem.

Does the trimmer chamfer and debur too?

The vacuum manifold sucks most of the shavings up... the 1200 RT cuts so smoothly (I've researched) that there is NO NEED to chamfer or debur. You just tumble the lube off with a modest amount of media in the tumble for 15-20 minutes. The action knocks any rough edges or flashing off. I'll be loading boat tails.

Cavalry Doc
04-10-2011, 16:34

Jack

Thanks.

I've heard that lubed cases through a carbide die are really easy. Even if not, it should make the process easier, or the equipment last longer.

justinsaneok
04-11-2011, 20:04
Thanks.

I've heard that lubed cases through a carbide die are really easy. Even if not, it should make the process easier, or the equipment last longer.

For strait wall pistol I bought One Shot lube and after pulling the handle on the 550 with carbide dies I haven't used it once. I have 5 tool heads and one extra powder measure. I am really glad I got another powder measure! Well worth the money. It's so nice to just switch five pins and switch to 9mm to .40 in 10 seconds.

labdwakin
04-11-2011, 20:08
I knew it wouldn't take Doc long to get a progressive when he first got here. Welcome to the group of nuts! LOL

Boxerglocker
04-11-2011, 20:49
For strait wall pistol I bought One Shot lube and after pulling the handle on the 550 with carbide dies I haven't used it once. I have 5 tool heads and one extra powder measure. I am really glad I got another powder measure! Well worth the money. It's so nice to just switch five pins and switch to 9mm to .40 in 10 seconds.

Your saying you don't use it, with carbide dies?

I won't load without lubing with HOS. I pulled a experiment using a fish hook scale and my SDB a couple year back. Reduces the effort to size with a full shellplate by about 30%. Easier on the press, easier on the operator.

Cavalry Doc
04-11-2011, 21:14
I knew it wouldn't take Doc long to get a progressive when he first got here. Welcome to the group of nuts! LOL

Dragged kicking and screaming, and only after having my manhood questioned at every turn...... http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs12/i/2006/314/a/f/_shh_v_2_by_sml_e.gif or at least that's the story I'm giving Mrs. Cavalry Doc.....

Cavalry Doc
04-11-2011, 21:17

I won't load without lubing with HOS. I pulled a experiment using a fish hook scale and my SDB a couple year back. Reduces the effort to size with a full shellplate by about 30%. Easier on the press, easier on the operator.

I don't have the gear to do a scientific test, but slick stuff rubbing on more slick stuff sounds like it would move easier with less friction.

:dunno:

I still spray a shot of Pam or drip a bit of olive oil or butter (when the Mrs. is not lookin') in my nonstick pans........

Colorado4Wheel
04-12-2011, 07:13

Agree 100%. Same goes for sizing cast bullets.

justinsaneok
04-12-2011, 20:19

Not yet but I might give it a try . It's not hard work without it!

labdwakin
04-12-2011, 20:31
Dragged kicking and screaming, and only after having my manhood questioned at every turn...... http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs12/i/2006/314/a/f/_shh_v_2_by_sml_e.gif or at least that's the story I'm giving Mrs. Cavalry Doc.....

Ahuh... SUUUUURRREEE!!! lol

Cavalry Doc
04-12-2011, 20:44
Ahuh... SUUUUURRREEE!!! lol

I just got her an automatic hose reel for her birthday........ 7 Apr ... and I'm still here. In my defense, it was the nicest one they had at Lowe's. We had previously had constant discussions about the hose being left out in the front yard. She had some sort of hangup about the 3 snakes found in the hand cranked reel last year...... none of which were poisonous. Jeez. :dunno:

http://app.infopia.com/img/image/fp/VPID/9464867/size/250

Sent her on a scavenger hunt that had her find a logitech universal remote, and finally her Sony Stereo receiver..... a really nice one, latest one available, that she wanted, and she showed GREAT appreciation in the end.

I did have a couple strategically placed field dressings..... just in case.

Surviving is important.

Boxerglocker
04-12-2011, 20:51
Not yet but I might give it a try . It's not hard work without it!

You'll be converted once you do :whistling: