Factory 9mm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Factory 9mm

easyj75
04-06-2011, 19:30
Not quit ready to start reloading yet, I'm still buying everything.. Until then I need a good factory load to practice with and use in a match coming up.. I shoot a 17, 19, and 26 and I'm still trying to find out which one I shoot the best.. I am new to shooting and this will be my first match and the only ammo I buy is what ever is the cheapest... Any advice would greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance

SinCityGlocker
04-06-2011, 19:44
For el cheapo, you are looking at wwb or Federal AE. The federal stuff seems to be a bit more powerful to me if that matters to you.

MrVvrroomm
04-06-2011, 19:44
http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/attachments/powder-keg/32045d1274199685-wal-mart-9mm-luger-x1lufr.jpg

Go to your local Walmart

easyj75
04-06-2011, 19:55
Yeah I've been shooting a bunch of that federal 115, I was just wondering if the more expensive stuff shoots that much better.. I'm going to pick up a couple boxes of NATO and maybe a couple other different brands tomorrow and head to the range

PCJim
04-06-2011, 20:18
You may find that the 124 and 147gr loads have less felt recoil, which could be beneficial for your match work. The beauty of reloading is being able to custom tailor a load to make PF, cycle your action and feel comfortable in your hands.

Don't forget to begin stockpiling your brass. When you do decide to buy the equipment, you'll already have one foot in the water.

justinsaneok
04-06-2011, 20:21
http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/attachments/powder-keg/32045d1274199685-wal-mart-9mm-luger-x1lufr.jpg

Go to your local Walmart
Thats the stuff right there!!

justinsaneok
04-06-2011, 20:22
Yeah I've been shooting a bunch of that federal 115, I was just wondering if the more expensive stuff shoots that much better.. I'm going to pick up a couple boxes of NATO and maybe a couple other different brands tomorrow and head to the range

Don't wast your time with the nato stuff.

stopatrain
04-06-2011, 20:39
WWB for me.

Boxerglocker
04-06-2011, 20:49
Not quit ready to start reloading yet, I'm still buying everything.. Until then I need a good factory load to practice with and use in a match coming up.. I shoot a 17, 19, and 26 and I'm still trying to find out which one I shoot the best.. I am new to shooting and this will be my first match and the only ammo I buy is what ever is the cheapest... Any advice would greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance

Honestly for a match, where chances it will be a lost brass... use Blazer Aluminum or even Wolf.

fredj338
04-06-2011, 21:52
Any decent ammo is going to be fine for IDPA, the distance just aren't that far, 20yds max maybe, sometimes you'll get the odd 25yd+ shot, but it's close shooting, more you than the ammo. If you can hold 4" @ 25yds, most ammop will, then you are good to go.

shootaglock89
04-06-2011, 21:56
cci blazer, federal champion,american eagle, tula, remington, wwb, wolf, monarch... they all run fine in a Glock.
Federal Champion is what i buy the most.

ARSMITH
04-06-2011, 21:58
Hey give Nutmeg Sporting Cartridge a try. They are a manufacturer in CT using plated bullets, and I have had nothing but great success with their ammo. It's very accurate and dependable. In my test cases it is as accurate or more accurate, esp in the 40 Cal ammo, than factory new ammo. They will deal direct too if you order a case of ammo or more. The phone number is (860)-379-2938. The website is http://www.nutmegsporting.com/ . Unfortunately, the site is in the development stage.

ron59
04-07-2011, 12:32
If you don't have to meet a certain power floor... go with the Federal Champion 115gr stuff. It's cheap, and fairly accurate. My buddy borrowed MY gun and won a GSSF match shooting that stuff. He beat me by 6 seconds, I've never won a match yet.

Recoil is SOFT, and it's still fairly accurate ammo. If I wasn't reloading, that's what I'd be shooting.

If you have a Gen4 gun, you will need the "new" recoil spring. Gen3's should be okay.

McJohnny
04-07-2011, 12:38
I'm a fan of the Winchester 'white box' from Walmart for plinking - around $20 for 100 rounds.

easyj75
04-07-2011, 17:08
If you have a Gen4 gun, you will need the "new" recoil spring. Gen3's should be okay.
My 17 is a gen4 with an unmarked spring and so far no problems at all.. I haven't cleaned it yet (700 rounds) and mostly the cheapest stuff I can find.. Still might get a new spring just in case..

ron59
04-07-2011, 18:13
My 17 is a gen4 with an unmarked spring and so far no problems at all.. I haven't cleaned it yet (700 rounds) and mostly the cheapest stuff I can find.. Still might get a new spring just in case..

It's with stuff like Federal Champion that they had to MAKE the new spring. Full powered stuff (like WWB) works fine with the original spring, but the FC is really underpowered (barely makes 125PF, *if* that).

Get a box and try it, it you start having FTE's, get the newer spring, that should fix it. It did in my buddy's G4 17.

G36_Me
04-08-2011, 14:22
my opinion, and don't take offense...

at your level any big box store ammo that cycles through your gun reliability will be just fine.

you'll have to tell us more about what match your shooting to give advice at the next level.

with your profile of "new to shooting" and "first match" you need to focus and being safe and having fun; don't even worry about accuracy or winning.

ENJOY and we all want to hear about your experience at the match. Tell us everything when you return. (I'm still trying to figure out if it's true that tumbled shiny brass attracts women.)(If it does attract, then the problem must be me, but I'm not willing to accept this possibility yet.)