Shell plate too loose? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shell plate too loose?

Kwesi
04-06-2011, 21:40
I ran some 45 ACP tonight and found that I was crushing too many cases in station 2 (550B). Could this be caused by the shell plate needing tightened a bit? Thanks

XDRoX
04-06-2011, 21:50
I ran some 45 ACP tonight and found that I was crushing too many cases in station 2 (550B). Could this be caused by the shell plate needing tightened a bit? Thanks

I've seen this happen with rifle cases, but not 45acp. Your shell plate would have to be really loose. Worth trying though. Tighten that baby down as tight as you can get it with your fingers. Slowly back it out until there is no more binding.

PCJim
04-06-2011, 22:08
When I find that a 9mm case mouth has been creased in station 2, a loose shellplate has always been the problem. Readjust as XD said, and be sure the set screw on the side of the ram is tight.

ARSMITH
04-06-2011, 22:13
Hmm, the weird part here is that the 550B has the powder die in station 2 and this should not crush cases. The only thing I have ever seen in this station is where the brass case might tear and fold in in a small area, usually due to a bad case to begin with. Are you using the correct powder die?

I would not think it would be the shell plate, unless the shell plate is not stopping where it is supposed to. The shell plate had notches on the bottom, more like holes, where the ball bearing on the ram is spring loaded to make the shell plate stop in the correct position. Have you checked your spring and bearing under the shell plate to make sure it is still good? The shell plate should be snug to the floor of the ram, but not so tight that you can't easily turn or index the shell plate with one finger.

I hope this helps.

shotgunred
04-07-2011, 04:59
I have had it happen in station 3 and yes tighting up the shell plate cured it.

Colorado4Wheel
04-07-2011, 07:30

The press needs to be right. Is using a 550 new to you? Keep tightening it till it binds when you tighten the set screw and then loosen it just a little. You want it as tight as it can be with out binding. Use your wrench as a reference (don't remove it) as you tighten it and loosen it till it doesn't bind when you tighten the set screw.

DoctaGlockta
04-07-2011, 08:11
I'm going to make a radical suggestion so no one flame me please.

Tighten the shell plate and see if your press keeps destroying your brass.

Kwesi
04-07-2011, 09:22
The press needs to be right. Is using a 550 new to you? Keep tightening it till it binds when you tighten the set screw and then loosen it just a little. You want it as tight as it can be with out binding. Use your wrench as a reference (don't remove it) as you tighten it and loosen it till it doesn't bind when you tighten the set screw.

Steve: not new to the 550. When I changed over I purposely made it just a little looser because indexing was smoother. I had shut down last night then posted. I just should have adjusted it before asking the question. I'll report back after giving her another run.

PCJim
04-07-2011, 10:05
Hmm, the weird part here is that the 550B has the powder die in station 2 and this should not crush cases. The only thing I have ever seen in this station is where the brass case might tear and fold in in a small area, usually due to a bad case to begin with. Are you using the correct powder die?

I would not think it would be the shell plate, unless the shell plate is not stopping where it is supposed to. The shell plate had notches on the bottom, more like holes, where the ball bearing on the ram is spring loaded to make the shell plate stop in the correct position. Have you checked your spring and bearing under the shell plate to make sure it is still good? The shell plate should be snug to the floor of the ram, but not so tight that you can't easily turn or index the shell plate with one finger.

I hope this helps.

AR, the small buckle or crease on the case mouth is caused by the powder funnel making ever so minimal direct contact with the case. It is caused by the shellplate not being in perfect alignment and in my case, has always been due to the shellplate having worked itself a bit looser than it was originally adjusted.

I don't bear down on the set screw in the side of the ram as I have a very bad habit of over torqueing things. I've encountered way too many stripped threads in my life and have learned much from the University of Hard Knocks, College of Life Experiences. Snug is good enough, and if it happens to slip a bit after a K of reloads, I'll accept a crease on a case as a reminder to readjust the shellplate.

Roughedgekid
04-07-2011, 10:35
I'm going to make a radical suggestion so no one flame me please.

Tighten the shell plate and see if your press keeps destroying your brass.

I was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it.:embarassed:

Kwesi
04-07-2011, 13:45
All is well since tightening the shell plate! I ran 60 rounds without an issue.

Colorado4Wheel
04-07-2011, 14:52
All is well since tightening the shell plate! I ran 60 rounds without an issue.

You should polish the bolt/shell-plate interface then lube it lightly and it will be smoother.

tac_driver
04-07-2011, 17:02
I put a little Mil-com TW-25B under my bolt head and on the steel ball. I tighten the bolt all the way down then loosening the bolt in 1/16" increments, holding the bolt firmly with my fingers till it indexes freely. I then tighten the set screw on the side of the ram to lock it in. This usually gives me a 0.003 under flush when i seat my primers.

Kwesi
04-07-2011, 17:02
You should polish the bolt/shell-plate interface then lube it lightly and it will be smoother.

Exactly what is needed to polish the underside? Pls keep in mind that I am not tool friendly ;-)

Colorado4Wheel
04-07-2011, 17:23
It will polish itself over time. Put a drop of oil on it.

A dremel will take care of it.