Newbie needs help selecting powder for 10mm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help selecting powder for 10mm

crsuribe
04-07-2011, 21:39
Hey GTers,

I finally started ordering reloading gear but am having a bit of trouble picking which powder to start with. I'm gonna be using 180gr rn/fn jacketed bullets.

I've never reloaded before so I need something that won't blow my gun up if I mess up by .1gr or something like that.

Also, it needs to be something I can find at my local Cabela's 'cause I'm not gonna pay extra $20 to have powder shipped to me.

What they have right now and that applies to my needs is as follows:

Blue Dot
Power Pistol
Accurate No.7

They also have Longshot but it says it's for shotguns on the label so I'm not sure I'm looking at the right one.

They also have Hi-Skor 800x but I'm not messing with that one until I get more familiar with the process.

I would like to buy the powder asap even though I'm not actually ready to start reloading just because Cabela's has them in stock right now and I haven't seen that in many months.

Zombie Steve
04-07-2011, 21:48
Any of the three you mentioned will work fine. Are you loading any cartridges other than 10mm?

chris in va
04-07-2011, 21:50
It would help to know what cartridge, bullet and gun you're reloading for.

crsuribe
04-07-2011, 22:07
It would help to know what cartridge, bullet and gun you're reloading for.
It's all in my post. 10mm, 180gr rn/fn jacketed

And yeah I only plan on reloading 10mm for now, and if I ever start loading something else it won't be until next year or whenever I buy another gun in a different caliber.

momo40
04-07-2011, 23:26
Hey Csuribe, I just started reloading a couple weeks ago and I have G20SF. I picked up the Power Pistol and Blue Dot powders and I've reloaded about 200 rounds with 180 grain Berry Bullets. My friend and I really like the way the Blue Dot shoots compared to the Power Pistol, but that is just our rookie observations!

fredj338
04-07-2011, 23:44
All those listed will work fine. Longshot is my current favorite 10mm powder for full power loads. 800X has a following, but charges must be hand weighed as it meters like rice Krispies.
BTW, most handgun powders started life as shotgun powders. BlueDot is a magnum sg powder.

crsuribe
04-07-2011, 23:49
So Longshot even though it says it's for shotguns can be used in Pistols? Huh, that's nice 'cause I usually see that one at Cabela's. I will eventually try it.

How would 10.5gr of Blue Dot with CCI 300 primers and 180gr jhp work?

I still need more input about all the powders I listed before I can make up my mind though... I really want something consistent, reliable and safe.

steve4102
04-08-2011, 06:15
My preference in order.

Longshot
PP
800X
Blue Dot

alwaysshootin
04-08-2011, 07:08
The majority of powders are for shotgun use, it's just they have pistol application likewise. I have used longshot for a couple years now, and am very pleased with the results. I have also used Unique for lighter target loads. By target loads, I mean a little/lot less wear and tear on my 10MM firearms. Personally, I don't find it necessary for every round down the tube to be rip roaring!:supergrin:

tjpet
04-08-2011, 07:42
9.5grns. Longshot w/180gr. jacketed SP/HP. Accurate, flat shooting and lethal it's the best all around load I've used in the 10mm.

Meathead9
04-08-2011, 08:26
If Longshot is available, it's the best powder out there for 10mm IMO. I have also used, and had great results with Blue Dot. My go to 180gr FMJ load is 9.2gr Longshot/CCI350/1.250 OAL.

crsuribe
04-08-2011, 08:54
Are we talking about plinking loads for the range or nuclear hunting stuff? How forgiving is Longshot when it comes to newbie mistakes? I'm not talking about double charges but small variations with the measurement and such.

Zombie Steve
04-08-2011, 09:08
All of the powders mentioned so far are medium to medium-slow burn rates. They should be relatively forgiving and take up a good amount of the case volume.

As always, start low and work your way up.

Kegs
04-08-2011, 09:13
800x > Longshot > Power pistol > AA#9 and other inferior commercial powders.

800x must be hand weighed, and is worth it.

Longshot can be dispensed, but won't shine like 800x.

The only powers I have used are Blue dot and 800x and blue dot's primary value with 10mm is the magnum sound and flash. More bark than bite.

I think if I were to only choose two powders for loading everything in the 10mm category, it would be 800x and longshot.

crsuribe
04-08-2011, 09:15
Do you need magnum primers with Longshot? Seems like it since it's a slow burning powder, but I could be wrong? Is there any difference in the way you should treat magnum primers when inserting them into the brass, or anything else I should know about them?

Thanks everybody for your input! You're helping me immensely.

Kwesi
04-08-2011, 09:43
Do you need magnum primers with Longshot?

Thanks everybody for your input! You're helping me immensely.

No you do not. I've used Longshot, A#7 and Power Pistol for my 180gr, FP, FMJ's. I chrono'd this Longshot recipe BUT it was out of my CA89-10 which has 3" longer barrel IIRC. My recipe tested was:
8.5gr
1.260 OAL
180gr FP, FMJ from Precision Delta
Ave 1262 FPS

I chose to stay with PP since I load 9mm and 45acp and it appears to work fine for all three

Power Pistol
8.0gr
1.255 OAL
180gr FP, FMJ from Precision Delta
Ave 1232 FPS

These are not considered hot loads for the gun I'm using. Save up for a chrono and start low and increase .1gr at a time. A few good reloading manuals should be on your list too.