Magazine disconnect question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Magazine disconnect question

prez1967
04-08-2011, 08:32
Mr. Ayoob,

I will say that i am a huge admirer and fan of yours and hope to someday attend one of your classes. I've been reading your books and watching your videos for quite some time. Thank you for all your hard work...

My question centers around my next choice for a CCW weapon. I know how highly you hold your G30sf but after having shot one i also shot the G36 and M&P45c and the M&P seems to compliment my style of shooting more than the others...

I'm seriously leaning in the S&W direction currently, it seems to make sense with its 8 round capacity and available thumb saftey (coming from a SA TRP. I remember from one of your articles, you mentioned that having that extra step before the gun is capable of firing may come in handy should the firearm ever be stripped from you in a confrontation so the thumb saftey will be ordered.

Im curious what your views on a magazine disconnect would be. If thinking along the lines of the above stated saftey comment, one could argue that should the risk of having the firearm taken from you arise, a tap of the mag release would render the gun useless in the hands of a bad guy... What do you think?

Thanks for your time.

Dimitri

Mas Ayoob
04-08-2011, 10:49
Dimitri, your thinking is valid and has been proven in numerous disarming attempts where the good guys saved their lives by dumping the magazine and thus deactivating the chambered round when they realized the bad guy was gaining control of their gun in the struggle.

With a mag disconnector safety, it's always a good idea to avoid extended magazine releases or light mag release button springs, either of which can render the gun useless to you if activated UN-intentionally. It's all the more important to carry a spare mag with one of these guns, so if you do have to use the "kill button" ploy in a struggle for the pistol, you can instantly reload once you regain control of it.

best,
Mas