Guess you get what you pay for. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Guess you get what you pay for.

Chuckc
04-09-2011, 11:25
I've been reloading rifle and pistol cartridges since the 1960's and have 10's of thousands of rounds through my presses. Having said that, there is always a lesson to be learned.
During the primer "shortage" of a year or so ago, I decided to try some available Russian primers. First try was with PMC "Green" non-toxic primers. Have had great success with them.
Then I decided to try Wolf small pistol primers. Initially they worked great. However the recent batch has had a number of failures to fire on the first firing pin strike. Most of the time they go off on the 2nd or 3rd try.
I also bought 10K of the Tula small pistol primers when Powder Valley had their sale. Basically the same experience as with the Wolf. They appear to be made in the same factory.
So............bottom line. I'm getting around 2%+ failures out of both the Wolf and Tula small pistol primers.
Is it a primer seating problem?, faulty primer construction, I don't really know. I've checked seating depth till I'm blue in the face.
Good news is that the traditionally good primers are currently available at reasonable prices.
The Russian stuff can be used for range practice, but for matches, I'll stick to my Federal or CCI primers.
Anyone with similar experience??

fredj338
04-09-2011, 12:23
So............bottom line. I'm getting around 2%+ failures out of both the Wolf and Tula small pistol primers.
Is it a primer seating problem?, faulty primer construction, I don't really know. I've checked seating depth till I'm blue in the face.
Good news is that the traditionally good primers are currently available at reasonable prices.
The Russian stuff can be used for range practice, but for matches, I'll stick to my Federal or CCI primers.
Both. Tula & wolf are the same. There seems to be some QC issues w/ the small pistol primers. They vary in size quite a within the same batch & can makle seating diff. I have seen the anvils fall out during seating on some. I won't buy them, not even fo rpractice anymore. My buddy bought some 30K sm & lg, he is pretty unhappy w/ them over all. I took 1K sm & lg to try & while I am ok using the lag, the small have been more trouble than the $4-$5 savings warrents.

dudel
04-10-2011, 05:37

I didn't go to the dark side; but I have friends who did with the same results you had. Fortunately, they didn't go out and buy bricks of the stuff. They've come back to CCI, Remingon and Federal.

The farthest I strayed was with MagTechs, and they worked fine. Can't find them now, but not a problem since CCI seems to be very plentiful.

FLSlim
04-10-2011, 08:36
I picked-up some Wolf when they were going for 15/1000 at PV. I've gone thru about 500 LP and 200 SP for range work and haven't had an issue (yet). Based on some reports, I don't think I'd bet on them for serious work, but for the price I like them for punching paper.

cole
04-10-2011, 12:08
... Then I decided to try Wolf small pistol primers. Initially they worked great. However the recent batch has had a number of failures to fire on the first firing pin strike. Most of the time they go off on the 2nd or 3rd try.
... Anyone with similar experience??

Bummer. No, I've had no issues with >5k SSP Wolf. But, it may be a crap-shoot. What gun is having issues with the Wolf?

D. Manley
04-10-2011, 13:37
Bummer. No, I've had no issues with >5k SSP Wolf. But, it may be a crap-shoot. What gun is having issues with the Wolf?

I bought 5K of the Wolf SPP "way back when" they originally switched to the nickle plated version and primers were scarce. Although I did not experience the difficulties experienced by some in seating them, I had about a 6% FTF in my Glocks running tuned trigger setups. I experimented a bit and found that they require just a tad more "whack" to ignite. I switched to an OEM FP spring minus 5 coils and they ran reliably albeit, at the expense of a slightly heavier trigger. I just took it for what it was, put 15K of Federal on B/O and sold the Wolf. FWIW, these guns have never, (not once) failed to light Winchester or Federal. I think the batch of Wolf I got would have been just dandy in stock Glocks or other guns running OEM setups but in the tuned guns, just not reliable.

carguy2244
04-10-2011, 13:44
I've always used Federal Small Pistol.
I'm may try Fiocchi.
Opinions?

cowboy1964
04-10-2011, 14:43
CCI is the only brand I've tried and I'm sticking to them. It's not worth a penny or whatever per round to go cheap on primers.

D. Manley
04-10-2011, 18:39
I've always used Federal Small Pistol.
I'm may try Fiocchi.
Opinions?

Primers as the shooting gods intended them to be.

squirreld
04-10-2011, 20:55
I've loaded up 1 tray of SP Tula primers.
2 of them failed to go boom after several re-strikes.
so I guess I would say I am at a 2% failure rate as well.

Chuckc
04-11-2011, 11:27
"What gun is having issues with the Wolf?"

I have had FTF with my Glock 17's Glock 26 and Glock 23. All with the standard factory striker and trigger springs. All have "-" connector.