spent 100 bucks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : spent 100 bucks

NMG26
04-09-2011, 15:03
I bought a Lee clasic reloader used (I'm saying the thing is used) from a friend for 5 bucks. Decapping went fine. Out of the first to primers I set 2 went boom. He was loading 357 mag with it. I had to switch the bullet seating lenght for 38 spec. The threads where so beat up that it can not be done without fixing the threads.......I have a die at work to do this with but will have to wait til Monday.

So I got on the Midway site and chose a Lee Breech lock reloading kit.....comes with Breachlock press, Ram Prime unit, powder funnel and one bushing.............I also incuded a bushing set of 2 ea and a four carbide die set for 357/38 spec..........and a blaze orange Midway hat.

All in all including shipping 99 dollars.

Can't wait to get started. Will I need anything else?

What is the difference between a four and a three peice die set besides 11 dollars?

WiskyT
04-09-2011, 18:35
What is the difference between a four and a three peice die set besides 11 dollars?

The Lee FCD :couch:

shotgunred
04-09-2011, 18:47
I just dropped $ 279.74 just to add 1 caliber to my 650.:crying:

NMG26
04-09-2011, 19:03
The Lee FCD :couch:

No need to hide behind the couch........I don't know what that TLA is!:tongueout:

F= a common four letter word?
C=????
D=Die?

:dunno:

C=cheap?

NMG26
04-09-2011, 19:05
I just dropped $ 279.74 just to add 1 caliber to my 650.:crying:

Wow.............High enders are worth it I hear...:supergrin:

barstoolguru
04-09-2011, 19:22
a good scale is needed to make sure you have good loads and no light ones. look around for a powder throw to aid in consistency. Shop around at gun shows you can pick up a lot of extras.

NMG26
04-09-2011, 19:37
I Out of the first to primers I set 2 went boom.

wooops noticed a typo. Out of the first 10 primers I pulled from the box 2 went boom.

I only used the first 10 primers because I had never set primers before. Dogs did not like the pounding much and the Bang was really not appreciated

I've quoted myself in my own thread...............:rofl:

ChrisJn
04-09-2011, 19:38
No need to hide behind the couch........I don't know what that TLA is!:tongueout:

F= a common four letter word?
C=????
D=Die?

:dunno:

C=cheap?

Factory crimp die

NMG26
04-09-2011, 19:39
Factory crimp die

Thankyou.

phred119
04-09-2011, 20:35
Factory crimp die

And, IMHO, well worth the $11 difference.

dudel
04-10-2011, 07:44
Can't wait to get started. Will I need anything else?

A loading manual and a good scale.

I suspect you are referring to the Lee 3 vs 4 die sets. The fourth die is the FCD. You can add it after the fact if you want. I like them, others don't. You can also use it to seat with one die and crimp with the FCD. Seating/crimping in two steps makes for easier change over of projectile profiles (only the seating die needs to be adjusted).

NMG26
04-10-2011, 08:07
A loading manual and a good scale.

I suspect you are referring to the Lee 3 vs 4 die sets. The fourth die is the FCD. You can add it after the fact if you want. I like them, others don't. You can also use it to seat with one die and crimp with the FCD. Seating/crimping in two steps makes for easier change over of projectile profiles (only the seating die needs to be adjusted).

Thank you.

I'm not sure I bought enough bushings. Three total. They come in 2 ea. Sets at Midway for 7 bucks.

Not sure if the Ram Prime tool needs a bucshing?

We will see when it gets here.

dudel
04-10-2011, 08:22
Thank you.

I'm not sure I bought enough bushings. Three total. They come in 2 ea. Sets at Midway for 7 bucks.

Not sure if the Ram Prime tool needs a bucshing?

We will see when it gets here.

You can reuse the bushing. Frankly, I never saw the big deal about them (or the ones on the Hornady). One the lock ring is set (especially on those with a lock screw - ie Hornady, RCBS, Lyman, Forester) it the difference between 1/2 a turn and several twists. You get to the same point. You may choose to leave one bushing in place and just screw the dies in till the lockring makes firm contact. You'll need at least one, and that comes with the press.

Don't remember if the Ram Prime needs a bushing (though I suspect it does since it mounts on top of the press).

For the longest time I used the Lee Auto Prime (hand primer). Sure, it takes a special shellholder, but it's very inexpensive. The whole thng is cheap enough that I got one for small and one for large primers (even though it will be a blue moon before I use LP again). It's very handy for working up small loads, and the perfect solution to banging primers with the Lee classic handloaders. I do use it for loading with the handloader. The thought of hammering on a primer just doesn't set well with me (although the design of the handprimer seems to contain the effect of a blown primer, it does nothing for your shorts! :supergrin:)

WiskyT
04-10-2011, 08:32
The thought of hammering on a primer just doesn't set well with me (although the design of the handprimer seems to contain the effect of a blown primer, it does nothing for your shorts! :supergrin:)

http://rpmedia.ask.com/ts?u=/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/01/Falling_hare2_restored.jpg/150px-Falling_hare2_restored.jpg