Gen4 G27/33 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gen4 G27/33

gusbuster
04-09-2011, 16:13
Hi Mas,

I just got a Gen4 G27 and I ordered a G33 barrel for it. Which caliber would you prefer in a subcompact, and which round would you carry for self defense.

Regards,
Gus

Mas Ayoob
04-09-2011, 19:03
Gonna depend where you are, what you're doing, and what your threat profile is. First, sight in with your preferred loads in both calibers and see which shoots more true to the sights on your particular pistol. That's going to be a big part of the equation.

Traveling, I've always preferred .40 S&W to .357 SIG for the simple reason that if I need to replenish ammo on the road, both good carry loads and practice ammo tend to be much more readily available in .40 than in .357 SIG.

If I felt I was in a situation where predictable need was for limited penetration due to bystander-rich environment, but massively wide wound channel, 135 grain .40 JHP at 1300 foot seconds nominal velocity would get my nod. It tends to produce a very wide wound channel about ten inches deep. If I felt the threat profile was more likely to involve intermediate barriers and tactical penetration had more value, I'd be inclined toward 125 grain .357 SIG rated for 1350-1450 fps.

With the interchangeable barrels, of course, you have the best of both worlds.

Best of luck,
Mas

gusbuster
04-10-2011, 00:07
Thank you for your much valued advice Mas, if I could follow up with just a few more questions: which 357 Sig round do you prefer out of Ranger T, HST, or Gold Dot? I saw GD has one rated at 1350 fps and another one at 1375 fps, I guess the hotter one would be better for the 3 1/2" barrel?, and do you think it being a bonded bullet gives it an advantage for barrier penetration? I was wondering why the 357 Sig Ranger T isn't on some of the recomended ammo list, but the 9mm 127gr +p+ is? Does the 357 Sig Ranger T have a good street record? Thanks again.

Take care,
Gus

Mas Ayoob
04-10-2011, 05:40
Gus, I can't speak for anyone else's recommended list. I'm partial to Gold Dot simply because so many departments have adopted it, it's had the most field use and has worked out fine. That said, test results are remarkably similar between these brands. I'm partial to the hotter loading of the 125 grain Gold Dot personally.
best,
Mas