Finally got back to loading... kinda. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Finally got back to loading... kinda.

GioaJack
04-09-2011, 17:25
Although my latest little episode is taking considerably longer to heal than in times past and I still haven't regained the function in my right foot I've noticed an increased ability to move around. Being bored out of my mind I spent the last couple of days spending short periods of time in the room.

Between yesterday and the day before I was able to sit on my loading stool long enough to run about 500 SWC's through one of the Stars. Not breaking any speed records but it was nice to do something.

Today I decided to do some big boy's work. Several weeks ago my SIL mounted the new 1050 and it's been pretty much just been sitting there since then. When he mounted it we discovered that the case feeder had a bad microswitch, (seems to be a common problem, the first one had a bad one too), and the primer pick-up tube and primer follower rod had not been included in the box. Hey, things happen, a call to Dillon and a few days wait fixed those problems.

This morning it took me several trips into the room between laying down to take a break but I got the seating die adjusted, the powder measure adjusted and the case powder alarm adjusted. Everything was pretty much ready to go so I decided to load a few rounds just to run 'em through the STI 9mm. The SIL shot it last Sunday after the black powder match and since I had no 9's loaded we brought some 115 grain FMJ white box that I had laying around.

Very disappointing results, gun FTRB on almost every shot. Tried factory mag and two other Trip mags. No joy. I couldn't get out of the truck so I didn't get to experience it personally but was able to watch.

Decided to load up some 120 grain cast TC's, (with lube they average around 123 grains), over some Unique. Dumped cases into the case feeder, loaded the primer tube and commenced to loading... almost.

Case feeder wouldn't feed cases into the shell plate. Noticed the problem while I was playing with it yesterday but figured it was because I'd only dropped three or four cases in the tube. That wasn't the problem.

Called Dillon around 2:30 mountain and low and behold a very helpful gentleman answered the phone. I ended up taking apart the lower feed tube assembly as he suggested and applying some light grease but alas, that didn't fix the problem... the case plunger just sat there like a turtle with its head pulled in its shell.

Finally figured out that the feed tube running down from the bowl to the press was at a bad angle and putting sideways pressure on the plunger. With the help of my SIL we loosened the feed bowl, bent the support arm slightly toward the press thus reducing the angle, raised the bowl up on the support bracket about a quarter of an inch and tried it again. Eureka, it worked. This is just confirmation for all of you who thought I am a wizard that I truly am.

Purposely loaded a fairly light charge of Unique, 4.6 grains to get an idea of what it would take to reliably cycle the Trojan. Also purposely used Wolf SP primers to see how they'd run through the 1050 and if there'd be any ignition problems with the Trojan.

Normally when testing loads I just stand on the back deck and shoot but with the unbelievably dry conditions we are having around here and the fires burning just a few miles away I decided to have the SIL move away from the house and shoot directly into a small dirt area.

For the first trial I had him load a single round... ya never know with a new gun and new loads, you don't want something to go south on you and have a gun going full auto. First round fired fine, enough power to at least move the slide back far enough to engage the slide stop.

Time for a better test. Had him load a mag and fire one shot per second so I could watch the functioning. Everything worked flawlessly. Time for a little faster test. Quick as he could shoot while still being safe and maintaining control... not even a sign of a hiccup.

Leaves me a little perplexed as to why the white box stuff didn't function last week. I never, ever shoot factory stuff so I'm really not familiar with how it normally performs.

If my mobility continues to progress every couple of days I hope to get a series of loads put together this week and weather permitting next weekend take 'em to the range along with the chronograph. (I don't really care about velocity but it gives me a legitimate excuse to sit in a chair while I'm shooting. :supergrin:)

Since the gun's been sitting around here for over a month it'll be nice to actually get to shoot it. The SIL got to shoot his new Trojan .45 last week... seems like I'm paying all the bills and he's having all the fun. Damn... this is just like being married!

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
04-09-2011, 17:31
God is punishing you for using factory ammo.

shotgunred
04-09-2011, 17:54
Since the gun's been sitting around here for over a month it'll be nice to actually get to shoot it. The SIL got to shoot his new Trojan .45 last week... seems like I'm paying all the bills and he's having all the fun. Damn... this is just like being married!

Jack

Hopefully without the occasional bout of sex thrown in.

WiskyT
04-09-2011, 18:27
So, your 1050 didn't feed cases and you fixed it. C4W's LNL won't feed cases and he can't get it running. Maybe you should fix his LNL?

Did Dillon himself fly those parts to you in a Gulfstream due to all the business you've given him?

fredj338
04-09-2011, 22:33
Glad to see you up & around Jack. WWB, it's enough to make anyone reload!

EL_NinO619
04-09-2011, 22:47
White box sucks... Keep at it Jack and post some pics when your pulling the trigger agian..

WiskyT
04-10-2011, 08:21
White box sucks... Keep at it Jack and post some pics when your pulling the trigger agian..

That's what's nice about owning a suck gun, my G17 feeds WinUSA suck ammo just fine.

"If at first you don't succeed, Keep on sucking 'till you do suck-seed".

Curly Q. Link

FLSlim
04-10-2011, 08:30
Keep on keepin' on, Jack.

IndyGunFreak
04-10-2011, 09:28
Hang in there Jack..

IGF

Hoser
04-10-2011, 10:33
Very disappointing results, gun FTRB on almost every shot. Tried factory mag and two other Trip mags. No joy. I couldn't get out of the truck so I didn't get to experience it personally but was able to watch.

Change out the recoil spring to an 8-9 lb Wolf. Should clear that issue right up.

GioaJack
04-10-2011, 12:28
Change out the recoil spring to an 8-9 lb Wolf. Should clear that issue right up.

Not really a fan of changing out to lighter springs, since I don't shoot that sissy gamer stuff there's really no reason to. :supergrin:

Other than polishing the main spring on my bullseye revolvers I've never changed out springs other than stock replacements.

Even though it's relatively light the 4.6 of Unique ran the gun without a problem and I'll probably end up a tad higher, maybe somewhere around 4.8 or 5... gonna have to wait until I'm moving better to test 'em.

Really not sure what was going on with the white box stuff since I didn't shoot 'em. Oh, look at that... Tiger just birdied. Sitting at seven under.

The FTRB could have been because they were the very first rounds out of a new gun which is actually pretty tight. SIL could have been limp wristing although I doubt it... I taught him a lot better than that.

Then again the guy I ordered the gun from may of sabotaged it in an attempt to raise his lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut self-esteem. :whistling:

Jack

PCJim
04-11-2011, 14:28
With all the time spent lately off your feet, the problem with the STI was probably dust. It's been, what, 4 weeks since you received the new toy. And since you've been off your feet, the maid has had more time to, well, lets just say less time to attend to the housecleaning duties.

Hang in there Jack. Glad to see you're making progress back to functionality. Wishing you all the best.