Happy day... new bench to work on. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Happy day... new bench to work on.

Boxerglocker
04-09-2011, 21:37
Since splitting up with the Ex last year and moving into an apartment. My loading lately has been nothing but the necessities… meaning I get my 1-2K of 9mm loaded in my storage area a mile down the road and never see my press again for 2-3 weeks. I've been trying to get my rifle set-up going and seems that time after time that I try and schedule some time to get to the 650 something comes up to change the plans. Well starting today that changes.

I was passing by Harbor Freight Tools decided to pop in just to kill 15 minutes with my GF waiting for a lunch appointment with a couple of friends and we stumbled across this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_6012.jpg
http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch-solid-oak-workbench-93454.html

I couldn't believe it... 60 inches wide by 20 deep at 34 inches high and pretty solid being made of oak. It’s perfect for my strongmounted XL650.
My GF Amy looked at me and said, "You need to get it, it's perfect you can set it up in the spare room corner" "You'll be able to wind down at night when we get off work... load and relax a little... do it". With that she got the attention of a sales guy, handed over her debit card, they rung it up... the HF handout had a coupon listing it for $139.99 and I got an additional 20% off with another, plus tax $122 OTD! We loaded the box in the back of my F150 and brought it home. She helped me unload it and we spent an hour putting it together.
The bench itself is solid, will work great. The drawers if assembled with just the supplied wood screws alone I felt won't cut it so I grabbed a bottle of wood glue and am waiting for the now assembled drawer joints to dry. Tomorrow I'll be grabbing all my gear and bolting down the press and installing a large "L" bracket through a stud in the wall behind it to bolt it to.
I can't wait! Pictures of it all set up to follow.

EL_NinO619
04-09-2011, 22:23
Nice brother..you may be a good shoper,but from what I read not a good learner...just dumbed one lady and already have another, well atleast she went to HF with ya...lol

Boxerglocker
04-09-2011, 23:00
Nice brother..you may be a good shoper,but from what I read not a good learner...just dumbed one lady and already have another, well atleast she went to HF with ya...lol

I could see how in some eyes it's not a smart move. The breakup was an unfortunate case, lots of reprecussions I'm not too happy about but ammicable in the end.

At 43, I'm not too much to be messin around. The GF is fun, likes to shoot... we share alot in common, takes care of me and at 12 years my junior keeps me young :supergrin:

Zombie Steve
04-09-2011, 23:10
Nice bench. What do you think Amy has up her sleeve?

natgas
04-10-2011, 05:59
I have the same bench---works great for both my Dillons; sounds like you have a keeper GF!

labdwakin
04-10-2011, 06:58
IMHO... the GF was dropping a subtle hint that:

A. She wants to shoot more.
B. You get grouchy when you don't load enough AND
C. She likes you better happy... LOL

WiskyT
04-10-2011, 08:11
My GF Amy looked at me and said, "You need to get it, it's perfect you can set it up in the spare room corner" "You'll be able to wind down at night when we get off work... load and relax a little... do it".

They're all like that in the begining.

IndyGunFreak
04-10-2011, 08:28
I've saw that bench at HF many times, and always thought it looked like it could be a pretty sturdy reloading bench. You think it will be OK w/o being mounted to the wall?

IGF

DnB_TeK
04-10-2011, 08:55
I seen this work bench many time from HF, and thought about getting it for my reloading room. Once you get everything setup and a chance to load some rounds please let me know about wuttcha think about the bench. What the pros and cons are. Also let see some pics. and your GF is a keeper, hang on to this one. Mine surpise with a Glock 19 and a Kimber.

n2extrm
04-10-2011, 09:11
Boxer nice score on the bench......and Amy. She sounds great. Having been down the divorce road all I can say is live and have fun. My current wife (the second) supports my hobbies and allways has. I guess we are the same age so it maybe makes more sense to me?

I like the idea of glueing the draws, good thinking. They will hold up much better that way!

With the my son only 7 months old the house is pretty busy, I miss coming home and hitting the loading room. :crying: Soon again I hope.

shotgunred
04-10-2011, 09:13
I've saw that bench at HF many times, and always thought it looked like it could be a pretty sturdy reloading bench. You think it will be OK w/o being mounted to the wall?

IGF

You don't have to mount it to the wall. Just get some small L brackets and screw the legs to the floor. The carpet will hide the holes when you remove the screws.

WiskyT
04-10-2011, 09:57
You don't have to mount it to the wall. Just get some small L brackets and screw the legs to the floor. The carpet will hide the holes when you remove the screws.

Even better, you can shoot screws right through the legs on an angle into the floor. Drill pilot holes first. That's what I did with my home made benches. It pulled thrme right down compressing the carpet and removing the wobble the carpet leaves you with.

And yeah, you'll never find the holes in the carpet, but the legs will leave an imprint. Really, the carpet in my reloading room is pretty grungy anyway. It started out new, but drop enough dirty things on it and it gets pretty ugly.

RustyFN
04-10-2011, 10:02
Looks like a nice bench BG and a great price.

EL_NinO619
04-10-2011, 10:25
I could see how in some eyes it's not a smart move. The breakup was an unfortunate case, lots of reprecussions I'm not too happy about but ammicable in the end.

At 43, I'm not too much to be messin around. The GF is fun, likes to shoot... we share alot in common, takes care of me and at 12 years my junior keeps me young :supergrin:

Just messing with ya brother..she sounds cool. Im just jeoulous theres no girls in kali that like guns, only credit cards:crying:

shotgunred
04-10-2011, 10:36
I heard that in San Diego all you have to do to pick up a chicks is flash your EBT card.

natgas
04-10-2011, 10:43
I attached mine to the wall studs and it doesn't move at all; have 2 Dillon presses working and it's solid as can be. I also converted 2 of the drawers to one in order to have a much deeper drawer for larger items

Ahmid
04-10-2011, 10:45
Great bench. I have almost the same one I purchased at Home Depot. Have my 550B and Rockchucker on it. Heavy enough to do all my reloading. Have not bolted mine to the floor or wall.

EL_NinO619
04-10-2011, 11:00
I heard that in San Diego all you have to do to pick up a chicks is flash your EBT card.

Yes but Im not eligable for a ebt card soo im SOL..

GioaJack
04-10-2011, 11:05
There's no such thing as girlfriends... only ex-wives in training. One that shoots is even worse... she'll want half of the guns and loading equipment too. :whistling:

Jack

DoctaGlockta
04-10-2011, 11:34
They're all like that in the begining.

Yep. Never understood the fellows who get the 'get out of jail free' card and then run right back to the penitentiary.

shotgunred
04-10-2011, 11:39
I attached mine to the wall studs and it doesn't move at all; have 2 Dillon presses working and it's solid as can be. I also converted 2 of the drawers to one in order to have a much deeper drawer for larger items

He not going to stay were he lives now so avoiding unnecessary damage to the dwelling is important.

Boxerglocker
04-10-2011, 11:40
Yep. Never understood the fellows who get the 'get out of jail free' card and then run right back to the penitentiary.

I never had a problem being married, just a problem with a ex-wife that was OCD in regards to control issues. Family is still the most important thing to me, my kids and thoer mom.

There's no such thing as girlfriends... only ex-wives in training. One that shoots is even worse... she'll want half of the guns and loading equipment too. :whistling:
Jack

Hey I ain'y a dumb as you look.... I've already said if it goes anywhere.... a prenup agreement stating guns get left alone is the bare minimum.

She's already got her eye on the EMP9 to carry and the Spartan is her favorite game/range gun. :upeyes:

GioaJack
04-10-2011, 11:56
I never had a problem being married, just a problem with a ex-wife that was OCD in regards to control issues. Family is still the most important thing to me, my kids and thoer mom.

Hey I ain'y a dumb as you look.... I've already said if it goes anywhere.... a prenup agreement stating guns get left alone is the bare minimum.

She's already got here eye on the EMP9 to carry and the Spartan is her favorite game/range gun. :upeyes:

For a moment I thought I was being insulted but then I remembered that Boxer knows I own a GPS... I blame my confusion on the medications. :crying:

Jack

shotgunred
04-10-2011, 12:00

Jack

my parents have been married 49 years.:cool: Yes to each other the whole time.:tongueout:

GioaJack
04-10-2011, 12:03
my parents have been married 49 years.:cool: Yes to each other the whole time.:tongueout:

The day ain't over yet. :whistling:

Jack

PsychoKnight
04-10-2011, 18:39
Even better, you can shoot screws right through the legs on an angle into the floor. Drill pilot holes first. That's what I did with my home made benches. It pulled thrme right down compressing the carpet and removing the wobble the carpet leaves you with.

And yeah, you'll never find the holes in the carpet, but the legs will leave an imprint. Really, the carpet in my reloading room is pretty grungy anyway. It started out new, but drop enough dirty things on it and it gets pretty ugly.

Put down a cheap area rug under the bench, and that will save the carpet for a while. There are those plastic mats for wheeled chairs, but it only works on commercial type carpet, not plushy home carpets.

Boxerglocker
04-10-2011, 23:24
I got my gear all bolted down today and did a trial run of 300 rounds. Didn't have a chance to drop in at Ace Hardware around the corner to get a L-bracket to bolt it to a stud to the wall, but surprising it's pretty stable regardless to the carpet. I'm happy it's gonna be nice taking my time getting loads together and working on the rifle loads at home. I'm going to mount the super swage to a piece of one inch hardboard so that I can just clamp it down and place it out of the way when not in use.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=215747&d=1302499375

StaTiK
04-10-2011, 23:59
I got my gear all bolted down today and did a trial run of 300 rounds.

So, how's the build quality? I've seen this on the HF website but my local shop didn't have one set up for me to check out.

-StaTiK-

Boxerglocker
04-11-2011, 01:29
So, how's the build quality? I've seen this on the HF website but my local shop didn't have one set up for me to check out.

-StaTiK-

The bench itself is pretty solid, no way you could build it with the cost of lumber. The drawers a little off on the alignment, and like I said... take the time to wood glue the joints. The vise isn't bad at all will work well I think to hold my super swage. Good investment for $122

shotgunred
04-11-2011, 05:03
Looks like there is room for a second press on there.:cool:

unclebob
04-11-2011, 08:12
The Casefeed Support Bracket is not used or needed when you have a case feeder. The tube is supported by the case feeder so it is not needed. Page 6, D. Bottom right hand corner of your instruction manual.

StaTiK
04-11-2011, 08:13
Thanks for the review, sounds like a good deal.

If anyone else is interested, I've noticed a 20% off HF coupon in every recent issue of American Rifleman.

-StaTiK-

unclebob
04-11-2011, 08:18
Thanks for the review, sounds like a good deal.

If anyone else is interested, I've noticed a 20% off HF coupon in every recent issue of American Rifleman.

-StaTiK-

As long as that Item is not already on sale. And only one coupon per visit.

Cherokee Slim
04-11-2011, 08:19
Harbour Freight put those benches on sale the same day I went out to buy 4x4's and plywood to make another bench for the garage. It was cheaper to buy the bench than buy materials and make one. They had a truck full of them and were loading them directly from the tractor trailer onto pickups. I had to wait for three others to load before I got mine. It was a real deal.
CHerokee Slim

IndyGunFreak
04-11-2011, 08:55
The Casefeed Support Bracket is not used or needed when you have a case feeder. The tube is supported by the case feeder so it is not needed. Page 6, D. Bottom right hand corner of your instruction manual.

:rofl: I have to admit, when I saw the pic, that was exactly my first thought as well.

Looks good Boxer. Even w/ the big 650 on there, you've got room for another press.

Boxerglocker
04-11-2011, 12:20

Not needed I agree but doesn't hurt to have it there. I take the whole feeder on once in a while to clean the bowl out, of grains of corncob or lube residue. Besides makes a good hanger for my safety glasses and make shift casefeed adpater lock out pin.

As long as that Item is not already on sale. And only one coupon per visit.

In store it was on sale for $139 and they did take the 20% coupon. :whistling:

Looks like there is room for a second press on there.:cool:

:rofl: I have to admit, when I saw the pic, that was exactly my first thought as well.

Looks good Boxer. Even w/ the big 650 on there, you've got room for another press.

Thought of that when I mounted the XL650, I have another strongmount/bullet tray/empty case bracket set-up in storage for a future 550B. :supergrin:

unclebob
04-11-2011, 14:51
In store it was on sale for $139 and they did take the 20% coupon.
I think it all depends on the casher.

Boxerglocker
04-11-2011, 16:03
I think it all depends on the casher.

Maybe... Amy so maybe the cashier was sweet on her... she has a great eyes/smile and 38G's :supergrin:

GioaJack
04-11-2011, 16:06
Maybe... Amy so maybe the cashier was sweet on her... she has a great eyes/smile and 38G's :supergrin:

G's? Are you dating a bovine? :dunno:

Jack

Boxerglocker
04-11-2011, 16:16
G's? Are you dating a bovine? :dunno:

Jack

Not nice Jack, yeah you got to see em to believe :wow:

Colorado4Wheel
04-11-2011, 16:40
Great Place to hang your glasses.

GioaJack
04-11-2011, 16:47
Not nice Jack, yeah you got to see em to believe :wow:

:needspics:

Glock XIX
04-11-2011, 17:35
Same bench, different color on top :supergrin:

sig357fan
04-15-2011, 12:34
FYI....

stopped at HF today and got a copy of the "HUGE PARKING LOT SALE" on june 10th, 11th and 12th, afore mentioned bench will be on sale for $129.99.

I don't need one but I may just go get one.

sig357fan