Problems loading .475 wildey mag [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Problems loading .475 wildey mag

EL_NinO619
04-09-2011, 22:33
Im trying to load .475 wildey. Im using lyman dies with speer .475 diameter bullets. The problem I am having is neck tension. I cannot get rnough after seating the bullets with a a pinch of the fingers I can sink the bullet past the cannalure. I am setting up the dies correctly, but I can pretty much use my hands as a press to seat the bullets. I measured the die inside diameter and then subtrated the case was thickness and I get .475 diameter. Im I ever going to get enough neck tension with .475 after resizing. This is a high pressure gun and the last thing I want is set back esp, with,bluedot. After I sink them by the cannalure by hand the bullet seems to have proper neck tension but oal is .020 shorter, plus one single whack with the bullet puller and they fly out. Any help would be great thanks...

fredj338
04-09-2011, 22:36
Is the ID before belling & after sizing? Sounds like your sizer isn't the rigth spec or you brass is very thin. If it's after belling, then chuck the flaring/belling mandrel up & polish it down 0.0015".

EL_NinO619
04-09-2011, 22:41
It is after belling, but I measured the beller and its .473. I tried to load thr bullet with out belling but I still could not achieve proper neck tension. Can you load a shotable round with a rezizer that is the same as the bullet diameter..

fredj338
04-10-2011, 11:39
It is after belling, but I measured the beller and its .473. I tried to load thr bullet with out belling but I still could not achieve proper neck tension. Can you load a shotable round with a rezizer that is the same as the bullet diameter..

Probably not. As you note, you have a loss of neck tension. Try polishing down the expander.