Reloading .38 Special and 9mm...couple questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading .38 Special and 9mm...couple questions

Bensmiata
04-10-2011, 15:38
I graduate college in two months and am looking into reloading when I'm done. Would like to stock up on primers, powder and getting the reloading equipment at home so I can start when I finish up here and work on the weekends away from my job. I am looking at 5,000 CCI small pistol primers and Accurate 5lb tub of #2, will this be the right combination for me? I don't have any load data (but will research extensively before loading, no worries here) and plan to start out slow and small and carefully. I would like to load low recoil loads for the .38 (750-800 fps, it is not a +p rated revolver) and regular power loads for the 9mm (Glock). Thanks.

GioaJack
04-10-2011, 15:46
Don't buy five pounds of anything until you're absolutely convinced that's the powder you've settled on for a lot of your loading.

If you have local stores that stock powders buy one pound at a time until you've settled on a specific one or two.

Jack

albyihat
04-10-2011, 15:56
#2 is not a good powder to start with it is a fast burn low weight powder. What this means is you use less powder because the burn rate is very fast. This is not good for new reloaders because you can easily put a double charge into a case. With .38 spl. almost any powder you use can be double charged so you want to use a powder which will be obvious and easy to see if a double occurs. Because your revolver is not +p rated this will be very important as you will not have the margin of error that a +p revo. would have. Go to Accurate powder website and look over their reloading data also buy a manual (Speer, Hornady, Loadbooks ect....) do not rely on the internet only it is often wrong. Pay attention to loading .38spl using jacketed bullets they need more pressure then lead to exit the barrel and can lodge in the barrel if powder charge is to low. Using a slower burning powder like Unique or AA#5 would be a better choice for the calibers you are loading for.

albyihat
04-10-2011, 16:02
Don't buy five pounds of anything until you're absolutely convinced that's the powder you've settled on for a lot of your loading.

If you have local stores that stock powders buy one pound at a time until you've settled on a specific one or two.

Jack

:agree:

Bensmiata
04-10-2011, 16:06

Jack

The advice I'm looking for, thanks :wavey:

ssgrock3
04-10-2011, 16:06
:agree:

ditto. buy a pound of a powder, try it, then buy more. in a 9mm and .38 you can easily use the same powder. I am old school and love unique. Hard to double charge a 9mm case with a large powder like unique.

dudel
04-10-2011, 16:56

Jack

+1 Same advice applies to projectiles.

Roughedgekid
04-10-2011, 17:20
My go to powder is Unique. Its good for most handgun loads .

cole
04-10-2011, 17:26
Start with a medium burn powder (http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html). Learn the rope. Then, play with the fast stuff if you wish.

GIockGuy24
04-10-2011, 17:33
Accurate #2 is more forgiving than W-231 and HP-38. It does pretty well. I think it's bit more case-filling too but not by much. With non +P loads there's going to be enough space for a double charge regardless of the powder. #2 is not as "peaky" as some similar powders. A "safe" powder for 9mm and 38 Special might be HS-6 though. #5 is peaky and causes more problems with picky loads than #2 for some reason. HS-6 and Unique are a couple of good starting powders.

fredj338
04-10-2011, 17:58

Jack
That's why I love you Jack, you are so damned reasonable. As jack notes, I would buy a 1# jug of AA#2 if you want to try it & see how it works for you. I prefer something a bit slower for 9mm & even 38sp can use a medium burner fine. If you like AA pwoders, try AA#5 in both. I would go WSF or Unique, but that's me.
Primers & bullets, sure, buy them in bulk. Play w/ the 1# jugs then you can lay in 4# or 8# kegs.

fredj338
04-10-2011, 18:01
Accurate #2 is more forgiving than W-231 and HP-38. It does pretty well. I think it's bit more case-filling too but not by much. With non +P loads there's going to be enough space for a double charge regardless of the powder. #2 is not as "peaky" as some similar powders. A "safe" powder for 9mm and 38 Special might be HS-6 though. #5 is peaky and causes more problems with picky loads than #2 for some reason. HS-6 and Unique are a couple of good starting powders.
AA#2 is quite a bit faster than W231. I find W231 pretty easy loading for most service rounds or low end loads for magnums. Unique is probably the best bet for good laods in both. It fills the 38sp case about half way, making a dbl pretty obvious. It's impossible to put a double charge of Unqiue in a 9mm case.

GIockGuy24
04-10-2011, 18:57
AA#2 is quite a bit faster than W231. I find W231 pretty easy loading for most service rounds or low end loads for magnums. Unique is probably the best bet for good laods in both. It fills the 38sp case about half way, making a dbl pretty obvious. It's impossible to put a double charge of Unqiue in a 9mm case.

I've found the charge weights to be about the same with #2 and W-231 with #2 maybe being slightly bulkier. Both W-231 and #5 seem to run into high pressure quicker than #2. If somebody has 5 pounds of #2 there's no reason not to use it. I have found HS-6 and Unique more useful in 38 Special and 9mm though.

sellersm
04-10-2011, 20:46
I actually prefer Bullseye for light .38spl loads. I like W231 for mid 9mm loads. Just remember that charge weight and burn rate are different.

Whatever you end up with, be sure to hang onto the 1# containers when you're done with them! They sure do come in handy later when you get 8lb containers down the road....

Zombie Steve
04-10-2011, 22:21
Another vote for Unique. Good luck and ask as many questions as you'd like. Jack likes to show how smart he is when they let him out.

Brucev
04-11-2011, 12:13
I graduate college in two months and am looking into reloading when I'm done. Would like to stock up on primers, powder and getting the reloading equipment at home so I can start when I finish up here and work on the weekends away from my job. I am looking at 5,000 CCI small pistol primers and Accurate 5lb tub of #2, will this be the right combination for me? I don't have any load data (but will research extensively before loading, no worries here) and plan to start out slow and small and carefully. I would like to load low recoil loads for the .38 (750-800 fps, it is not a +p rated revolver) and regular power loads for the 9mm (Glock). Thanks.

Your just getting into reloading? Your first purchase should be a good book on reloading. Buy one and read it. Then get started. You'll be able to make better decisions about equipment, etc. As to components, don't buy great big piles of anything. Start with smaller quantities as you find out what works best in your revolver. Then, when you have developed a load that you like, go shopping for deals on components. As to powders, I have been loading .38 Special ammo for 30 years. I have found Unique to be excellent. It is a good powder for you to start with. Cheers! Sincerely. bruce.

fredj338
04-11-2011, 13:02
I've found the charge weights to be about the same with #2 and W-231 with #2 maybe being slightly bulkier. Both W-231 and #5 seem to run into high pressure quicker than #2. If somebody has 5 pounds of #2 there's no reason not to use it. I have found HS-6 and Unique more useful in 38 Special and 9mm though.

I just don't see how that can be. AA#2 is quite a bit faster than AA#5. W231 being a spherical powder has a bit more loft than the AA#2 ball powder. Look at the powder manuf site & you see AA#2 uses less powder to achieve sim vel & pressures as W231, telling me AA#2 is quite a bit faster.:dunno: I'll admit to not having used AA#2, but have shot a bunch fo W231 & A#5/ AA#5 is certainly slower, uses more powder than AA#2. Just trying to keep everyone safe.:whistling: