30-06 Reloading [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 Reloading

PCJim
04-11-2011, 15:33
My nephew just acquired a Remington 750 in 30-06 caliber. We will be reloading for this autoloader and would like some input from those of you who have some experience with the caliber. With such a wide availability of bullet weights (130-240gr), I figured for starters we would try the 150gr SMK to see what the barrel is capable of. I currently have on the shelves IMR4350, H335, H4895, BLC2, and Varget which all are suitable powders per the manuals, and would prefer to use one of these powders to keep from taking on any more similarity to a retail outlet.

Obviously, with so many weight and powder combinations, it could take us years of daily testing to cover them all, in addition to a wealth of supplies that even the Powerball winner could probably not afford (218 million and unfortunately not me).

If you have some suggestions to help narrow the field of powders and weight combinations, I'd sure appreciate hearing about them. For now, we are looking for paper accuracy, not hunting loads.

XDRoX
04-11-2011, 15:37
What are you loading on? I haven't had the best luck with some of those large stick powders in my 550b. I really like Varget.

labdwakin
04-11-2011, 15:40
Well... the Sierra Gameking in 180 grains is what I use for game loads... had the best luck with CCI primers and IMR 4350. I have a 1:10 barrel. If his is a 1:12 or something slower than mine, you may want to back it off to a 165 grain bullet.

PCJim
04-11-2011, 16:28
What are you loading on? I haven't had the best luck with some of those large stick powders in my 550b. I really like Varget.

I always load my work up loads on a RCBS Reloader Special 2 SS press. The 550 gets the work after I've decided what I'll be loading in quantity.

Well... the Sierra Gameking in 180 grains is what I use for game loads... had the best luck with CCI primers and IMR 4350. I have a 1:10 barrel. If his is a 1:12 or something slower than mine, you may want to back it off to a 165 grain bullet.

Good point. I'll have to research the twist on the 750.

10head
04-11-2011, 16:56
i have used imr4895 and sierra 168 mk's in garand's and 03a3's with good results

Zombie Steve
04-11-2011, 17:30
4895 and Varget can yield excellent results, but I've found they aren't ideal for the '06 case volume. I'd start with 4350 as it will fill the case a bit better, and being a little slower will likely give you a little better performance (may or may not be more accurate, but it seems like a perennial favorite with '06 guys).

Having said all that, I don't know anything about your rifle. Does it have a gas regulator? Some autoloaders don't like the slower burning, "late blooming" powders - kinda batters the actions. If that's the case, I probably would look to 4895. Again, I don't know anything about the 750's.

PCJim
04-11-2011, 19:16
Spoke with my nephew just before he walked into his night class. Its the carbine model of the Remington 750. From what I can find on the 'net, its a 1:10 twist.

The SMK 180 is more in the middle of the available bullets, so it would probably give a more fair presentation of this rifle's capabilities. I'll be ordering dies and bullets later this week, so I'm still open to other input. Thanks to those who have already given me some advice.

I do wish he had picked a smaller case caliber. That '06 case holds a heaping bunch of powder!

GIockGuy24
04-11-2011, 19:27
Hornady uses IMR-4350 with their 150 grain SST factory load because it was the most accurate. The load is 58.5 grains loaded to 3.23" but double check the length in the Hornady load guide.

robinsok
04-11-2011, 19:54
Hey man i've got a similar remington 742 woodsmaster, will you post back on here when you test these loads out a bit and let us know what you go with and what type of accuracy you are able to get out of it? I would really like to know what mine might do with handloads. All i have ever shot out of it are factory loads.

PCJim
04-11-2011, 20:22
Hey man i've got a similar remington 742 woodsmaster, will you post back on here when you test these loads out a bit and let us know what you go with and what type of accuracy you are able to get out of it? I would really like to know what mine might do with handloads. All i have ever shot out of it are factory loads.

It will be a while before I get any results, as the rifle is in Virginia and I am in Florida. I'll build the rounds here, take them and the Chrony with me on my next trip North and do the testing on a farm. I'll probably have to create another thread, as they don't last around here too long (unless I can resurrect it by using the search feature).

chris in va
04-11-2011, 21:23
My standard Garand load is a 150gr FMJ over 47gr of IMR4895. Roughly 600 down the pipe with no issues, although it does eject into the next zip code.

ColoCG
04-12-2011, 11:19
I load 30-06 with a 180gr. Nosler Accubond and 55.8gr. IMR 4350, with great results in a 22" barrel bolt action. I'm not sure how it would work in your autoloader, but I would give it a try. IMR 4350 usually does good in 30-06.

MajorD
04-12-2011, 15:32
some loads with especially light bullets may not function the gun- you'll want to stick with middle of the road loads for best chance of function. also you will want to consider small based sizing dies to get the case back closest to original dimensions -definitely do NOT just neck size this will cause function problems

PCJim
04-14-2011, 09:42
Thanks again to everyone for the input and suggestions. May end up using a 180gr Nosler Accubond for accuracy tests. First things first, need to order the dies....

labdwakin
04-16-2011, 22:29
Thanks again to everyone for the input and suggestions. May end up using a 180gr Nosler Accubond for accuracy tests. First things first, need to order the dies....

I had better luck with Sierra 180gr Gamekings than the Noslers... then again... may just be my gun.

04-17-2011, 05:58
I have gotten good results with Varget, but I had to load it really hot and seat the bullet out to the lands on my Ruger bolt action.

I would stay away from BLc-2 in the 06. I have tried it and never got it to group well in the 06.

ColoCG
04-17-2011, 10:39

While the Nosler Accubond is a good and accurate bullet for me, I use it primarily for an elk load. If you don't need that tough and pricey a bullet, the Nosler Balistic Tip is just as accurate and a little cheaper.

If accuracy is your prime concern at this time, it would hard to go wrong trying Honady SST, Nosler Balistic Tip, or Sierra Game King or Match King.

They are all very accurate bullet's, your gun will tell you what it likes.