RCBS X Sizer Die [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : RCBS X Sizer Die

yipchoy
04-11-2011, 17:03
Hi Folks,
does anyone have any experience with using the RCBS X Sizer die in 223 Rem on a Dillon 650 XL. I cannot for the life of me get my brass into the sizer when the decap pin is down all the way as instructed by RCBS. When the pin protrudes 1/8" below the mouth of the die, no problems, but as soon as I drop the pin lower the cases tend to hang on the screw cap that keeps the pin in place. I'm at the point where I have a RCBS Partner press dedicated to that purpose. Perhaps this just may be one of those pieces of equipment that does not play nice with the 650.
Alan

Colorado4Wheel
04-11-2011, 17:47
Are you using the die in Station 1?

yipchoy
04-12-2011, 15:40
Yes.
Alan

Colorado4Wheel
04-12-2011, 16:11
Hmm, I'm stumped then.

Have you tried the press to see if it has full motion with just the die and no cases in the shell plate?

Ahmid
04-12-2011, 16:17
Yes I just had a set with my X-sizer for 223. Simple solution, throw it away.

Colorado4Wheel
04-12-2011, 16:30
What do you mean "you had a set"

I have heard you need to follow the directions for trim to length, etc. but otherwise good . My BIL has one.

Ahmid
04-12-2011, 17:02
"Set"

You can interpret it as a session. We tried to make it work in 3 different machines.

:steamed:

yipchoy
04-13-2011, 16:57
Hi Steve,

yes I have tried it without a case and everything works smoothly. In fact when set up according to the directions as a sizing die with the only difference being how much the decapper sticks out (1/8") it works great with my brass. But the minute I set it up as an X Sizer die (decapper protruding 1/4" to 3/8") as per directions, my brass just hangs up on the rim around the hole of the decapping pin retainer. I have tried it with my Dillon toolhead and with my Whidden Clamped Toolhead, same issue.

I'll post the question on BE's site to see if they have anything.

Alan

sdelam
04-13-2011, 18:56
I haved used one succesfully on a LNL

ColoCG
04-14-2011, 12:47
Hi Steve,

yes I have tried it without a case and everything works smoothly. In fact when set up according to the directions as a sizing die with the only difference being how much the decapper sticks out (1/8") it works great with my brass. But the minute I set it up as an X Sizer die (decapper protruding 1/4" to 3/8") as per directions, my brass just hangs up on the rim around the hole of the decapping pin retainer. I have tried it with my Dillon toolhead and with my Whidden Clamped Toolhead, same issue.

I'll post the question on BE's site to see if they have anything.

Alan

Have you trimmed your brass to 1.740" or .020" under max case length as stated in the directions.

With decapping pin protruding 1/16" to 1/8", adjust the die down so that all play is removed from the press linkage system.

Then insert a sized, decapped, and lubed case fully into die. With the case fully inserted in the die, screw down the mandrel into the die until hard resistance is met. Approximately four turns of threads will be left on the mandrelabove the lock nut. tighten the lock nut of the mandrel.

This from RCBS's instructions.

My X die works fine with about 7/16 of the pin protruding. Yours may vary depending on the length of your brass. If your brass is not trimmed correctly it may hang up.