What do you use to clean your progressive press? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to clean your progressive press?

Praetorian27
04-11-2011, 19:20
I bought a used Dillon Square Deal B on ebay, and it's filthy dirty. I want to get it all clean before I use it but didn't know if some cleaning products would be harmful.

Any advice?

XDRoX
04-11-2011, 19:22
It would be hard to find anything that would actually hurt it. I'd just scrub it with some soup and water and a good scrub brush.

You can always send it to Dillon for an overhaul if you want. Might be worth the $50 depending on how much you paid for it.

Congrats on the press.

Colorado4Wheel
04-11-2011, 19:28
Other then the inner working of the powder measure. WD40.

Praetorian27
04-11-2011, 19:32
Thanks guys. Do you think BrakeClean would be bad? I'm not worried that it would be harmful for the metal...I was thinking of residue left over mixing with the powder or getting on the primers. Seems like potential for trouble. Maybe I'm just an idiot though!

Colorado4Wheel
04-11-2011, 19:35
Break Clean can damage some plastics. I wouldn't use it. Also, wd 40 will not leave a residue if you wipe it well afterwards. Clean inside the primer tubes with a small patch and some bore cleaner.

Praetorian27
04-11-2011, 19:40
It would be hard to find anything that would actually hurt it. I'd just scrub it with some soup and water and a good scrub brush.

You can always send it to Dillon for an overhaul if you want. Might be worth the $50 depending on how much you paid for it.

Congrats on the press.

Dillon does overhauls? I checked their website and didn't see anything. I'll try giving them a call.

bdhawk
04-11-2011, 19:43
disassemble and clean with simple green and an old toothbrush. lube and reassemble.

Colorado4Wheel
04-11-2011, 19:49
I will say if it's actual dirt I would use simple green to start. But I would finish with WD 40. It repels water and will get grease out pretty nicely.

Boxerglocker
04-11-2011, 19:51
disassemble and clean with simple green and an old toothbrush. lube and reassemble.

DO NOT USE REGULAR SIMPLE GREEN! It is highly corrosive to aluminum alloys which alot of the SDB is made of. You can use AVIATION SIMPLE GREEN, which is actually clear in color and aluminum safe.
Personally I would use Orange glow citrus based cleaner as it does as good a job as Simple green, is readily available and it works I know cause I have tried it. Take an old rag of two to remove heavy built up dirt and grease first.

Praetorian27
04-11-2011, 19:52
Thanks for the cleaner tips guys...just what I was looking for!

Colorado4Wheel
04-11-2011, 19:55
DO NOT USE REGULAR SIMPLE GREEN! It is highly corrosive to aluminum alloys which alot of the SDB is made of. You can use AVIATION SIMPLE GREEN, which is actually clear in color and aluminum safe.
Personally I would use Orange glow citrus based cleaner as it does as good a job as Simple green, is readily available and it works I know cause I have tried it. Take an old rag of two to remove heavy built up dirt and grease first.

I didn't know that. Great to know.

bdhawk
04-11-2011, 20:00

i did not know that. after 22 years of cleaning my square deal b with simple green, i am surprised it has not fell apart or something. just yesterday i loaded 'bout 80 rounds of .40 S&W on it without incident. hummmm...

GioaJack
04-11-2011, 20:09
i did not know that. after 22 years of cleaning my square deal b with simple green, i am surprised it has not fell apart or something. just yesterday i loaded 'bout 80 rounds of .40 S&W on it without incident. hummmm...

It's a time release formula... your time's about up.

Jack

bdhawk
04-11-2011, 20:13
ok, next time i clean it i will put it in the dishwasher with my glocks.:supergrin:

Boxerglocker
04-11-2011, 20:35

http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions_faqs.php?search_query=aluminum

If you are aware of what can happen, and use it as instructed... chances are you will be ok, rinse very, very thoroughly. My personal experience with the product with airplanes and private owners directs me to stay away when dealing with aluminum. As in all cases YMMV.

dudel
04-12-2011, 01:47
Break Clean can damage some plastics. I wouldn't use it. Also, wd 40 will not leave a residue if you wipe it well afterwards. Clean inside the primer tubes with a small patch and some bore cleaner.

+1 Use what ever cleaning/lube product you would normally use on a gun.

dudel
04-12-2011, 01:49
http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions_faqs.php?search_query=aluminum

If you are aware of what can happen, and use it as instructed... chances are you will be ok, rinse very, very thoroughly. My personal experience with the product with airplanes and private owners directs me to stay away when dealing with aluminum. As in all cases YMMV.

Simple Green makes a specific product for use in Aviation that is safe on aluminum. http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_products_extreme.php

I use lots of SG; I just don't use it on aluminum. Sort of like avoiding amonia based products on brass.

Boxerglocker
04-12-2011, 01:57
Simple Green makes a specific product for use in Aviation that is safe on aluminum. http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_products_extreme.php

I use lots of SG; I just don't use it on aluminum. Sort of like avoiding amonia based products on brass.

stated that in my first post. I get it in 5 gallon jugs for washing planes.

skeeter7
04-12-2011, 02:54
Thanks guys. Do you think BrakeClean would be bad? I'm not worried that it would be harmful for the metal...I was thinking of residue left over mixing with the powder or getting on the primers. Seems like potential for trouble. Maybe I'm just an idiot though!

I use BrakeClean (green can) on metal parts when I am doing a good cleaning. Then I hit the parts with my air compressor to make sure all of the brakeclean has evaporated off of the parts. No harm done so far. Just make sure you lubricate the press as the manual states after using that stuff.

stumpjumper
04-12-2011, 06:09
What brand of "soup":tongueout:

unclebob
04-12-2011, 07:37
MP-Pro 7 the same stuff I clean my firearms with.

themighty9mm
04-13-2011, 13:22
I keep 30w motor oil under my press. Clean it with bounty. Its the quicker picker upper. Its worked w/o issue so far

Flipz
04-13-2011, 13:39
I just use Hornady One Shot since I have a couple cans of it.

W4CNG
04-15-2011, 11:53
+2 on the Simple Green and tooth brush. Do not get WD-40 near your reloading table. It is a migrating oil that will get into everything. Properly cleaned the press does not need lube with the way it is built with the plastic like washers. I have two that are approaching 18 years old and they are still going strong. Yes, I have had to replace a couple of small parts and springs here and there, but at NO cost with the NO BS warranty!
Good Luck cleaning it up. I also clean my guns the same way using Hot water and Simple Green.