Blue dot/ 800x for lead in 30/30 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Blue dot/ 800x for lead in 30/30

Kaceyx73
04-11-2011, 21:21
Hey guys, looking for a little help working up a load.

I'll be loading for a Marlin Glenfield 30/30 levergun. I am already working up loads for some full power hunting loads with Hornady 150gr Interlocks with 3031 powder. That much is fairly straight forward.

What I need help with is some plinking/ general purpose rounds for cast lead with pistol powders. From my experimenting with the 10mm, I have some Blue dot and 800x sitting on the shelf that I would like to try. I do have some Power Pistol, but don't want to encroach on my favorite 10mm powder supply, unless its just that good for the 30/30. For reference, I will be loading Missouri Bullets 165gr Whitetail bullets.

Starting area for these powders?
Max charges?
Rough idea of velocity?
Again, these are mainly plinking rounds, and might see use dispatching critters up to dog size in the back yard. Not looking for anything extreme.

Thanks in advance.

HAMMERHEAD
04-12-2011, 15:50
I've never seen either of those two powders mentioned in connection with light lead loads in 30-30. Uncharted territory I'm afraid.

If you want to do it right, you start with either Unique or Trail Boss.
I've been getting super results from Trail Boss and 100 gr LFP, 110 gr LRN and 150 gr LFP.

There's a huge thread on this subject HERE (http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/board,5.0.html)

There's two stickied threads near the top, one on light bullets and one on lead bullets, plenty of reading there.