Case Cleaning With Stainless Media? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Case Cleaning With Stainless Media?

.50 cal
04-12-2011, 03:05
I'm interested to hear if anyone cleans their cases with stainless steel media and a tumbler, does it work well? would you recommend it? thanks

jmorris
04-12-2011, 06:46
I'll start off by saying I don't but did look into it. The cost of media and switching to a rotary tumbler didn't scare me away and I could live with the pain of drying them but when it takes as long as it does and you clean so few cases I figured it was not for me. It would take 5 loads in a common rotary tumbler to equal what I can clean in my Dillon. Not to mention how much longer it takes to rinse and dry. If I didn't shoot much or enjoyed taking pictures of empty cases I would use it for sure.

ess45
04-12-2011, 10:03
I'm interested to hear if anyone cleans their cases with stainless steel media and a tumbler, does it work well? would you recommend it? thanks

It does work.

I would recommend it if you hate dust, you like the primer pockets clean, don't mind depriming the brass first and don't mind the drying period.

I did notice that my progressives are spotless clean since I started using it.

SilentVectorX
04-12-2011, 22:11
I've tumbled .223, 9mm, 45cal, and 308. I usually use a little less than 1 tablespoon of dish soap, a teaspoon of Lemishine, and tumble overnight (tumbler outside on back porch).

Stretched an old T-shirt over a collander and use that to drain off the dirty water. dump the media/brass into a bucket, rinse and drain again. Sort and shake brass from media. Media goes right back in the tumbler - it won't rust. Brass lies on a towel 'till it's dry. I get hardly any water spotting, and the cases are dry overnight.

IMO the best things about SS tumbling: hands stay CLEAN when you handle brass (no oils or waxes involved), no dust, and cases get clean inside.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5054/5400493176_5289e6c4bc_b.jpg

.50 cal
04-12-2011, 22:18
awesome, thanks for sharing, I'm glad to hear it works well, I'm going to use this method when I get the eqipment, how many 9mm or .45 can you do at time with a Thumbler model b?

SilentVectorX
04-12-2011, 23:25
awesome, thanks for sharing, I'm glad to hear it works well, I'm going to use this method when I get the eqipment, how many 9mm or .45 can you do at time with a Thumbler model b?

I'd say about a little more than you can stuff into a 1qt ziplock for best results. That's about 500 40cal, not sure how many 9mm or 45 that is (fuzzy math).

dbarry
04-13-2011, 05:00
dang that's SHINY! :)