Ladies......question on what you carry and how. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ladies......question on what you carry and how.

Turbodreams
04-12-2011, 14:15
My fiance is going to be taking her permit class very soon and getting her permit directly after. I want to start researching some pistols for her to check out so I can buy her one to carry when shes not with me.

She wont be carrying on her waist, as her clothing really wouldnt allow for it. So it will be in her purse. The gun has to be smaller to fit her hands and be in her purse, but not to small. And be comfortable to shoot a few hundred rounds through on range day.

She has shot my friends Ruger LCP and didnt like it, even to small for her to shoot it comfortably. And I dont blame her, I hate that gun.

She shot my old Sig 220 .380 and liked it, which I no longer have. But ammo can get a little pricey and scarce. So Im thinking 9mm, or even a single stack .45, both rounds she has fired and was comfortable with.

Yea, Im sorry for the long drawn out post but I need some ideas from the females.

So to get on with it, what are you carrying? How are you carrying it? And for those of you purse carrying, do you have pics of your setup as is?

Thanks for any help.

1 old 0311
04-12-2011, 15:03
I will start early so I can catch the flack BUT for a novice, who won't shoot a lot, a J frame size OVER 12 OUNCES ( 15 is perfect for a woman) with Crimson Trace grips.

Mrs.Cicero
04-12-2011, 16:04
HK USPc 9mm or an S&W M&P also 9mm in a purse similar to those here...

http://www.shado.com/Gun-Purses/View-all-products.html

or the same guns OWB (under an oversized jacket).

Mrs.Cicero, hates wheel guns

Turbodreams
04-12-2011, 17:47
HK USPc 9mm or an S&W M&P also 9mm in a purse similar to those here...

http://www.shado.com/Gun-Purses/View-all-products.html

or the same guns OWB (under an oversized jacket).

Mrs.Cicero, hates wheel guns

Yea my fiance doesnt much like revolvers. The few Ive had she did NOT like shooting. USP might be a bit thick for her in the grip, I had one, she didnt shoot it well-but then again that was when she first started shooting.

Jeepnik
04-12-2011, 18:19
Here's a second for a J frame sized revolver. My wife is petite. Like 5' on a tall day, and tries to get up to 105#. She has a variety of small 5 shot 38's that she likes, these include Smiths, Taurus, and Charter Arms. The Ruger SP101 seems "big" to her. She does have one six shot revolver, a Colt Detective Special. But it's not one of her favorites.

She has avoided small autos. She is certainly quite capable of using one, including the oft talked about slide manipulation. But, as she says, those hollowpoint looking out of the cylinder do have a deterent effect.

Melissa5
04-12-2011, 18:32
Here lately I've been carrying a Kahr PM9 AIWB and in a cargo pocket. It's bigger than an LCP, but smaller than a Glock 26...perfect size for a purse gun. The recoil is not bad with WWB or Federal Champion, but it can be quite snappy with full powered ammo. It has a long trigger like the LCP, but it is very smooth. Kahr just came out with the CM9 which is very similar to the PM9 and is about $200 less. Good luck!

Those small, lightweight revolvers are a b*tch to shoot.

Turbodreams
04-12-2011, 19:51
Here lately I've been carrying a Kahr PM9 AIWB and in a cargo pocket. It's bigger than an LCP, but smaller than a Glock 26...perfect size for a purse gun. The recoil is not bad with WWB or Federal Champion, but it can be quite snappy with full powered ammo. It has a long trigger like the LCP, but it is very smooth. Kahr just came out with the CM9 which is very similar to the PM9 and is about $200 less. Good luck!

Those small, lightweight revolvers are a b*tch to shoot.

That sounds like a good one for her to check out. And yea, she didnt like the recoil or trigger pulls on my revolvers. Even on my S&W 637 airweight J frame .38spc.

Emoore
04-12-2011, 21:50
I carry a Kahr PM40 in either a Smartcarry, belly band, or IWB at 2 o'clock.

When I go hiking in the woods I carry a Colt .38 revolver with alternating rat shot (for snakes) and personal defense rounds.

LilWolfess
04-13-2011, 09:54
I carry a G26 IWB using a JoshK holster, or a Bianchi Model 100 (Professional). Usually it's at 1-2 o'clock.

It prints a lot if I am wearing a top other than a loose t-shirt. Otherwise I almost always wear a light jacket, or sweatshirt, so it's not much of an issue other than comfort. I am currently pursuing a Kimber Solo or Kahr PM9 for summer carry.

Turbodreams
04-13-2011, 13:40
I carry a G26 IWB using a JoshK holster, or a Bianchi Model 100 (Professional). Usually it's at 1-2 o'clock.

It prints a lot if I am wearing a top other than a loose t-shirt. Otherwise I almost always wear a light jacket, or sweatshirt, so it's not much of an issue other than comfort. I am currently pursuing a Kimber Solo or Kahr PM9 for summer carry.

Wear a belt? My fiance never does so IWB is pretty much out of the question. Im sure shed be more comfortable carrying in her purse anyways. Plus the only time she would be carrying, is when Im not with her. Which really only includes work, and out with the girls.

cowboywannabe
04-13-2011, 14:09
if the jerks on this site could behave for a few pages i'd like to see real women on here (glocktalk members) pictured wearing their carry gun and rig for the summer months.

SouthernGal
04-13-2011, 14:26
This picture is older than dirt, but I still use the same holster with a Glock23. The picture is of a Glock19 (one of my other guns).

Jeans have changed and now sit lower on the waist, so I have to wear a much longer shirt than I ever did in these jeans.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q173/ratchinator/IMG_0045-1.jpg

LilWolfess
04-13-2011, 15:43
Wear a belt? My fiance never does so IWB is pretty much out of the question. Im sure shed be more comfortable carrying in her purse anyways. Plus the only time she would be carrying, is when Im not with her. Which really only includes work, and out with the girls.

I have used the IWB method with dress slacks and no belt. My Bianchi clip style holster seemed best for non-belt carry. It was also quick on/off too, so I could stow it somewhere safe for a short time (fully attended and within reach).

For myself, I cannot recommend purse carry to anyone unless it is their ONLY last chance option. Have you read some of the other threads regarding purse carry, or done any research on it?

I know you didn't like the idea of a .380 because of ammo availability issues and price. But if you could manage it, try have her try shooting a Sig 238? They offer a much better grip over the LCP. The Kahr PM9s are very nicely sized for CC as well.

SpitFyRRe
04-15-2011, 14:19
I carry a Sig P250C. I'm small (5'4" and about 110lb) and I carry on my hip. I've gotten very good at layering my clothes because I won't carry IWB. It's not comfortable for me at all. I will NOT carry in my purse. A guy on my SigForum said it best:
"IMO carrying in a purse is a bad idea. Usually the first thing a BG wants to do is separate you from your purse. Then he has your wallet, phone and weapon."

ubimow
04-16-2011, 03:48
I carry a Glock 26 IWB year round. Very occasionally, I will carry a Kel Tec .380 in my back pocket if I am wearing VERY tight clothes but I'm not real comfortable with .380 for self defense.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2v8onxi.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/2hz3kev.jpg

SARDG
04-21-2011, 01:36
I also carry a Kahr PM-9 and have been for several years. Began carrying it with an IWB leather holster, but eventually began to Mexican-carry to reduce the bulk of what was in my waistband. Occassionally, the Kahr will fit in a jeans or other pants pocket where I carry it by itself. Once in a great while I'll use a pocket holster. Mexican-carry and pocket carry without a holster is generally NOT recommended however.

Regardless, a purse is the very last place I'd carry a gun - as a matter of fact, it is below last place as I simply will not do it. I'm a big gal, but had my purse snatched once by a bigger guy. Plus, I see women in restaurants lay them down or hang them over their chair, or in supermarkets, simply put them unsecured in the top of the cart - ALL THE TIME. It only takes a second to lose focus and a more-focused crook is off with the purse AND the gun.

Nearly all the time that my Kahr is in my waist or pocket, I wear some kind of over-blouse.

The Kahr is a DAO and as Melissa said, has a long trigger pull so there is a modicum of safety within that system.

SARDG
04-21-2011, 10:38
Here's a recent blurb about Kahr:
http://www.gunreports.com/news/news/Kahr-Arms-files-suit-against-Diamondback-Firearms_2898-1.html?ET=gunreports:e966:197064a:&st=email