Modern Reloading Manual by Richard Lee 2nd -Recipe Conerns [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Modern Reloading Manual by Richard Lee 2nd -Recipe Conerns

Kwesi
04-12-2011, 16:44
Published data for 180gr Jacketed 10mm has the same weight for start load and max load for IMR 800-X of 8.7gr.

Can anyone comment on this discrepancy? Does anyone else have any published recipes for the above. I use FMJ's. A few days ago one of the members shared this as their favorite 10mm load.

I hand weighed every charge the other night and loaded 19 rounds all weighing 8.6 - 8.8gr

fredj338
04-12-2011, 17:02
Go to the Hodgdon website. The problem w/ the Lee manual, vague as hell, almost useless IMO. I only bought one a couple years ago so as to have most of them on hand. Speer or Lyman get 90% use vs the rest for handgun loads.

Uncle Don
04-12-2011, 17:09
It's data that was pulled from other manuals into a single source. As to the starting and ending load that is the same, it evidence that it's not the right powder for that bullet weight, or possibly even caliber. When I see that in any caliber, I simply avoid that powder. If you wanted to spend the time to look, you would find that load listed in the powder company's manual.

I use many manuals, but the Lee see's it's share due to the order in which they are listed by both weight and velocity. I use the Lyman manual a great deal too.

Kwesi
04-12-2011, 17:11
Go to the Hodgdon website. The problem w/ the Lee manual, vague as hell, almost useless IMO. I only bought one a couple years ago so as to have most of them on hand. Speer or Lyman get 90% use vs the rest for handgun loads.

Hodgdon has 8.7 as the max at 1.260 OAL for a JHC. IIRC Lee has the minimum OAL as 1.250. I loaded these to 1.259 +/-. I'll load the remaining to a max of 8.7. Since Lee has it as min 1.250 and I loaded it longer I'm expecting a .1gr extra should still be safe.

Colorado4Wheel
04-12-2011, 17:11
Go to Hodgons website. Search for the data and you will see they list 8.7 as max as well. Nearly all Lee's data is public domain stuff. You just need to look for it. Reduce it by 10% and you got your starting load.

GIockGuy24
04-12-2011, 18:26
Most, if not all, of Lee's load data is sourced from the powder companies and not the bullet companies. Some of it is dated and some powders have changed. Some may have errors and some original load data from the powder companies may have had errors. Lee's load data is usually pretty easy to double check with the load data from the powder companies.

Kwesi
04-12-2011, 18:42
First of all I'm not looking for a starter load, this powder came highly recommended by a few senior members that use & chrono'd it. Second, this is not the first time I've loaded 800-X. My first recipe was at 8.5gr or at least that is what I intended it to be. I soon learned how poorly it meters therefor I probably had some rounds around 9.0 for all I know. These were not fired in my G20. They were used in my CA89-10 & fired in semi and full auto.

The reason for my post is that I do plan to shoot these in my G20. One senior member chrono'd 9.0 at 1263 out of his G20 and he hand weighed each charge. He was the one that suggested I start at 8.5 & work up slowly to a max of 9.0.

I was surprised to see the start/max at the same weight. You are right in that I should have gone to Hodgdon's site first; I usually do that. I believe it to be a top 10mm powder from what I've read IF your willing to hand weigh every charge. I prefer Power Pistol since it meters well and gives great 10mm results too but I have this # of 800-X and thought I'd find out what it's like to load on a single stage (I load on a 550B).

On the next batch I'll range it from 8.5 - 8.7 and all should be fine. BTW: I've got a standard glock barrel but with a Wolf 24# spring IIRC. I appreciate all your replies as I endeavor to expand my understanding of this fine hobby. Thanks again!

Colorado4Wheel
04-12-2011, 18:45
I was surprised to see the start/max at the same weight.

It's a typo on Lee's part. Simple as that. Start is 10% less. Says so on the website.

fredj338
04-12-2011, 19:08
SOme guys really love 800X in the 10mm, but I found accuracy lacking in my Delta & 1006 & the PITA of weighing each charge isn't worth nedicore accuracy. I find Longshot gives about the same vel w/ no pressure signs & better accuracy & it meters as well as any ball powder.

GIockGuy24
04-12-2011, 19:09
It's a typo on Lee's part. Simple as that. Start is 10% less. Says so on the website.

A lot of 10mm load data here.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67

Maybe some here.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38

fredj338
04-12-2011, 19:16
A lot of 10mm load data here.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67

Maybe some here.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38
The problem w/ anything on the internet, it's not vetted, not better in many cases just throwing a dart at a load manual. JMO, use pressure tested data & work it up as far as your medical insurance takes you.:supergrin:

EL_NinO619
04-12-2011, 19:38
The problem w/ anything on the internet, it's not vetted, not better in many cases just throwing a dart at a load manual. JMO, use pressure tested data & work it up as far as your medical insurance takes you.:supergrin:

I have no medical sooo, I load mouse farts.. Fred why you hating on the Lee book,lol you get what you pay for and I believe never just use one source, double and triple chec k multiple sources. And then in doubt adk Fred or Jack:tongueout:

GIockGuy24
04-12-2011, 19:45
There used to be a website with the most all of the load data for 10 mm from most of the powder and bullet companies. I can't find it right now. Maybe it's not around anymore but I did copy the data from it some time ago.

Kwesi
04-12-2011, 20:39
SOme guys really love 800X in the 10mm, but I found accuracy lacking in my Delta & 1006 & the PITA of weighing each charge isn't worth nedicore accuracy. I find Longshot gives about the same vel w/ no pressure signs & better accuracy & it meters as well as any ball powder.

I do like LS and it sure does meter well.

PCJim
04-12-2011, 22:09

Fred, you could have saved yourself the cost of the book if you just purchased the Lee dies (like frugal me). Mr. Lee includes the load datasheet with each set. :cool:

fredj338
04-13-2011, 00:15
Fred, you could have saved yourself the cost of the book if you just purchased the Lee dies (like frugal me). Mr. Lee includes the load datasheet with each set. :cool:

Yeah, I like the Dillon dies on my Dillon presses, they just seem to work better. I do have a couple spare sets of Lee dies for the ss, when I just want to cobble 10rds together to test a new bullet or some such. In general I don't like much Lee gear, the book, yeah I new better but bought one anyway. Even if they painted their stuff blue I still wouldn't buy much of it:upeyes:

10mmbob
04-13-2011, 13:57
I understand everybody loads 800x in the 10mm for top velocities, but the fact is it meters like corn flakes, and Longshot, Power Pistol, and AA#9 all give top velocities, and accuracy in my G20 so why bother with 800X

fredj338
04-13-2011, 20:23
I understand everybody loads 800x in the 10mm for top velocities, but the fact is it meters like corn flakes, and Longshot, Power Pistol, and AA#9 all give top velocities, and accuracy in my G20 so why bother with 800X

Exactly!:supergrin: