Brass tumbler opinions? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Brass tumbler opinions?

coyote 30
04-12-2011, 19:56
Looking to get a tumbler to clean my brass. Looking for comments on what brass tumbler to get and which ones to avoid. Also looking for one $75 and under price wise.
My main concern is a tumbler that will last and that will hold at least 300 9mm rounds.

Boxerglocker
04-12-2011, 20:01
I have a small Dillon bought used great tumbler.. but also have and would recommend the RCBS if buying new, good points... strong motor, relatively quiet, strainer lid, switch on cord.
Holds about 500 pieces on 9mm. If you use the midway coupon code, it runs about your price range. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=103614

alexanderg23
04-12-2011, 20:05
I've read the best stuff on the Hornady one $70 or so on eBay shipped, it's sold out at midway. Since all my stuff is Hornady guess I should keep it the same.

Boxerglocker
04-12-2011, 20:08
I've read the best stuff on the Hornady one $70 or so on eBay shipped, it's sold out at midway. Since all my stuff is Hornady guess I should keep it the same.

The Horandy is exactly the same as the RCBS just red of course :supergrin:

robin303
04-12-2011, 20:09
I bought this one which is really one made by Berry MFG.http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Case-Tumbler/731767.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dtumblers%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D22%26y%3D9&Ntt=tumblers&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products
I went and used the walnut and the corn but now just buy the big bag of Walnut from Petsmart. I also put in a couple caps of Nufinish car wax found in all the auto stores and a couple caps of paint thinner. I really like the results and my guess I can tumble 20 times for I replace the walnut.

shotgunred
04-12-2011, 20:11
My dillon is 15 + years old.

labdwakin
04-12-2011, 20:13
I'm eventually going to get a Thumler's... someday... maybe...

Cavalry Doc
04-12-2011, 20:27
This one works.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411LuDHIlfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Works well too.

Corncob with the capful of NuFinish and two hours does wonders.

less than $40 to deliver.

If it dies, I'll let you know.

bandmasterjf
04-12-2011, 20:32
This one works.

Works well too.

I've got the same one. It's out in a shed and I forgot about it when I left for the beach. It ran for a solid week with corncob nufinish/paint thiner and about 400 9mm's in it. They sure were shiny. I've had it for about 2 1/2 years. It's been over a year since the week on and it's still fine.

EAA10
04-12-2011, 20:32
I really like the Cabelas tumbler, it has done many rounds for me and I have not had a problem with it. I did a lot of research before I bought it, and decided on this one.
I have not been dissapointed, and am very happy with the purchase.

Colorado4Wheel
04-12-2011, 20:34
This one works.

Works well too.

I have that. My brass never looks as good as the stuff out of a Lyman.

alexanderg23
04-12-2011, 20:39
The Horandy is exactly the same as the RCBS just red of course :supergrin:

Gotta have that red

GioaJack
04-12-2011, 20:39
Two Thumlers, one over 40 years old, had motor fixed once, the other one is around 18 to 20 years old, somewhere in there. Both do a very credible job and are very quiet, much more than the vibrator.

One Lyman, Turbo something or other, the one with the plug that empties itself. That feature is a waste of money, much easier and quicker to just pick it up and empty it into a separator.

I change the corn cob every leap year whether it needs it or not. I just need smooth brass, not shiny. The glare hurts my eyes plus it attracts the attention of other shooters who might try and steal brass from a crippled up old man. Kinda like having a trophy wife or girlfriend, always gotta keep an eye on 'em... never know what truck they might drive away in.

Jack

chris in va
04-12-2011, 20:53
I've had two Harbor Freight tumblers. I wasn't savvy how to use the thing properly and didn't tighten down the wingnut enough, causing the hole in the lid to open up. The motor seized up shortly after that.

My second one has worked well so far, 5 months. I purchased the $5 'extended warranty' so we'll see.

coyote 30
04-12-2011, 20:54
Thanks for all the tips and opinions. I know where to start now.

Cavalry Doc
04-12-2011, 21:12
I have that. My brass never looks as good as the stuff out of a Lyman.

got pics??

Cavalry Doc
04-12-2011, 21:18
I've got the same one. It's out in a shed and I forgot about it when I left for the beach. It ran for a solid week with corncob nufinish/paint thiner and about 400 9mm's in it. They sure were shiny. I've had it for about 2 1/2 years. It's been over a year since the week on and it's still fine.

In the off season, use a spare Christmas light timer to make sure that doesn't happen. 2 Hours max so far. Very shiny brass so far. Also use a used dryer sheet to keep the cob clean.

PsychoKnight
04-12-2011, 22:19
If you are willing to spend up to $75, I say go with Lyman ProMagnum 2500 (non-Autoflo). Its a 2 ga. capacity and rated for 2500 pieces of 9mm brass, or 1,000 38's. The best part about it is that its black, not the ugly orange bowls of the other Lymans, but with the history and experience of Lyman tumblers. +1 on Jack about avoiding the AutoFlo. I sold an almost new Autoflo because the was so fed up with the problems that "feature" caused. Get a rotating sift-basket from Midway, with custom bucket and you will be honkey dorey.

fourrobert13
04-12-2011, 23:31
I've had a lyman 1200 (i think) since 1999 and i runs like a champ. I recently picked up an RCBS at a yard sale and it runs excellent. Even with the newer tumbler, I still load up and use my lyman first out of habit I think.

themighty9mm
04-13-2011, 00:22
If you are willing to spend up to $75, I say go with Lyman ProMagnum 2500 (non-Autoflo). Its a 2 ga. capacity and rated for 2500 pieces of 9mm brass, or 1,000 38's. The best part about it is that its black, not the ugly orange bowls of the other Lymans, but with the history and experience of Lyman tumblers. +1 on Jack about avoiding the AutoFlo. I sold an almost new Autoflo because the was so fed up with the problems that "feature" caused. Get a rotating sift-basket from Midway, with custom bucket and you will be honkey dorey.

What poblems did you have with the auto flow? I have one with the auto flow. Its for the most part useles but after many thousands of cases cleaned have yet to have a problem. I do use it but mostly due to lack of ownin a seperator. I dump the cases by hand and it helps me find the ones at the bottom

Randy from Kansas
04-13-2011, 05:18
I have two an older blue one from Midway and a Hornady Red one. The blue Midway is very noisy compared to the Hornady both seem to work the same. The switch burnt out of the Midway so I removed it still works fine.

I was getting range brass until this new guy took office, now I can't seem to find much.

Hoser
04-13-2011, 07:52
I have two big and two small Dillons.

Their new motors are really quiet.

hoffy
04-13-2011, 08:42
I have the Hornady 70$ one now for a few years and it is OK, not very big, but it does. I also have a Thumblers Model B I have had since the '70s but I think it will need a new belt, or a least belt dressing. That thing has ran continuous for months a a time, stopping just long enough to swap brass out. The vibrating ones seem to work a little faster, walnut cleans better, corncob polishes better, but both will do, I am using cob as I got a 100lb bag given to me :-)) I also have a Midway, IIRC media separator, basically a bucket with a cage that you turn with a crank, it easily get all the media out of even 5.56 cases, a real time saver if you are doing rifles......

ron59
04-13-2011, 08:46
I've had my Cabela's one for 2 years... cleaned close to 38,000 rounds so far and still going strong (have tumbled some brass for a friend as well as what I've reloaded). It holds probably 1000 9mm at a time... just guessing of course.

You can get the tumbler, media (corn cob) and some of their brass polish all for 60'ish (tumbler by itself is $50 I think).

PEC-Memphis
04-13-2011, 08:50
Two Thumlers, one over 40 years old, had motor fixed once, the other one is around 18 to 20 years old, somewhere in there. Both do a very credible job and are very quiet, much more than the vibrator.

Same here, except that I only have one and it it 6 months old.

Very quiet compared to a vibratory type. I turn mine on when reloading it's is on the shelf under the 550, sounds soothing - like a babbling brook.

ron59
04-13-2011, 09:42
Same here, except that I only have one and it it 6 months old.

Very quiet compared to a vibratory type. I turn mine on when reloading it's is on the shelf under the 550, sounds soothing - like a babbling brook.

LOL. Well that's certainly not the case with my Cabela's tumbler. It is quite noisy, I don't even like to reload while it is running (I reload in the garage where the tumbler is located). It's not SO loud that I couldn't reload if I was way behind, but loud enough to be an irritation.

If mine ever goes bad, will have to look at the Thumler. Is there more than one model? Where do you get them from ?

arj
04-13-2011, 16:23
I bought the one from Harbor Freight today, not bad for $49. I got some RCBS formula 2 to go in it. I put about 20 rounds of .30-06 and 30 .38s in it. An hour later they looked brand spankin new. The noise wasn't too bad either, i put it in the bathroom and shut the door and really didn't notice it. Whenever it dies I'll go bigger and better, but for now it serves it's purpose.

sellersm
04-13-2011, 16:52
<flame suit on> I've got the bigger SmartReloader model. Works great, not too noisy, holds quite a bit of brass (600? or so 9mm). No problems so far (~6-9 mos). Forgot what I paid for it but it wasn't that much, comparable to the Harbor Freight costs (probably similar model -- both made in China).

Cavalry Doc
04-13-2011, 18:28
LOL. Well that's certainly not the case with my Cabela's tumbler. It is quite noisy, I don't even like to reload while it is running (I reload in the garage where the tumbler is located). It's not SO loud that I couldn't reload if I was way behind, but loud enough to be an irritation.

If mine ever goes bad, will have to look at the Thumler. Is there more than one model? Where do you get them from ?

Try a little less brass and a little more media, also, having it on a rug on the concrete floor helps a bit. If that doesn't work, get a new one when that one dies...... if it ever does.

The franklin one that I have is not bad at all sitting on the floor.

PEC-Memphis
04-13-2011, 18:33

Here's where I purchased mine:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4506.html

Mine is a high-speed model B. The motor can be changed for low speed (tumbling rocks).

It can be used with both wet and dry media.

I made a base from 3/4" plywood and used foam tape to attach it to the metal base and attached silicone rubber "stick-on" feet. I also used one of the silicone feet under the "free end" of the motor. These minor modifications made it quieter.

Oh, and it is made in the USA.

ron59
04-13-2011, 20:41
Here's where I purchased mine:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4506.html

Mine is a high-speed model B. The motor can be changed for low speed (tumbling rocks).

It can be used with both wet and dry media.

I made a base from 3/4" plywood and used foam tape to attach it to the metal base and attached silicone rubber "stick-on" feet. I also used one of the silicone feet under the "free end" of the motor. These minor modifications made it quieter.

Oh, and it is made in the USA.

Thanks.