What products would you most likely buy? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What products would you most likely buy?

ARSMITH
04-13-2011, 11:56
Hi,

I own and operate a small reloading operation in Central Florida. We recently expanded the operation with the opening of our website, www.CenterFireBrass.com (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/www.CenterFireBrass.com), where we intended to sell only once-fired brass. However, the demand for components on the site is quickly rising, and I wanted to get your input on a few things.

The plans for now are to expand a carry line of bullets from a few large-name manufacturer. We will be re-boxing these bullets into various size boxes. I would like your input on:

1) what qty boxes would you most likely order? ie. 250ct, 500ct, 1,000ct

2) what calibers/weight/bullet design combos would you like for us to carry?

3) What types of bullets would you like to see the most of? Plated? Jacketed? cast lead?...

4) What are some fair price range(s) you would typically expect for the suggestions you listed?

Also, are there any other products related to reloading components besides powder and primers that you would like to see us carry.

Gator Monroe
04-13-2011, 12:05
7.62x39 Brass :wavey:

PCJim
04-13-2011, 13:17
Hi,
I would like your input on:
500, 1,000 and multiples thereof for pistol; 100 and 500 for rifle

pistol: 9mm, 38/357, 40, 44, 45 in the standard weights and in FMJ, JHP, SWC and HBWC profiles depending upon the caliber
rifle: .223, 6mm, .308 in FMJ, HPBT and JSP designs.

3) What types of bullets would you like to see the most of? Plated? Jacketed? cast lead?...
Jacketed for rifle, jacketed and cast for pistol. Not in to plated as of yet.

4) What are some fair price range(s) you would typically expect for the suggestions you listed?
You'll be competing against the likes of established internet powerhouses Powder Valley, Graf & Sons, Widener's, Cabellas, etc., in addition to businesses already operating within the state (Space Coast for one). You'll have to set your prices accordingly. Components are components and do not vary from one seller to another. Price will pretty much dictate whether you will sell product.

Further, I'm in Florida which means that your prices will automatically be 6.5% higher due to sales tax. I doubt any savings on shipping would offset the tax. This is obviously a non-issue for out-of-state customers. While I'm all in favor of supporting the local establishments, if there is a fair difference in price I will have to look out for my own wallet.

If you have a brick and mortar outlet and are close to the interstate corridors, this could be an asset. Space Coast is an easy off/on from I-95 - commuters can save shipping costs by taking a 2 minute detour.

I'm not trying to sound pessimistic here, only pointing out what you need to thoroughly examine before venturing into very competitive lines.

ARSMITH
04-13-2011, 14:09
Thanks, PCJim

I will keep that in mind. All advise is appreciated. We'll see how it goes. I think I am going to test the waters with it in the next few weeks.

sellersm
04-13-2011, 14:20
I'm partial to plated and lead, for plinking. 9mm, .357sig, .40 S&W, .38spl

For projectiles, I tend to think in quantities of thousands rather than hundreds. Many of your competitors offer breaks in quantities at 2K or more.

BTW, when will you have any more 9mm brass in stock?

Discount codes for Glocktalk members may be a welcome thing as well! :whistling:

I'd be interested in 7.62x54r brass!

Good luck to you...

ARSMITH
04-13-2011, 15:45
I'm partial to plated and lead, for plinking. 9mm, .357sig, .40 S&W, .38spl

For projectiles, I tend to think in quantities of thousands rather than hundreds. Many of your competitors offer breaks in quantities at 2K or more.

BTW, when will you have any more 9mm brass in stock?

Discount codes for Glocktalk members may be a welcome thing as well! :whistling:

I'd be interested in 7.62x54r brass!

Good luck to you...

Thank you all for all the input.

I should have more 9mm back in stock very soon. I had a massive order go out last week that left me clean and dry. I had 230,000ct in stock too.

Yes, I am working on GT member discounts. I need to join the forum first so that they will allow me to advertise such information.

So the consensus I am getting from other people is to carry rifle brass. Unfortunately, i don't have a supplier for that yet. I have been working on that for a while and just am coming up dry every time. I only deal in pistol brass at present, and most likely will only do pistol bullets as well for now.

Boxerglocker
04-13-2011, 15:55
Firstly good luck on your business expansion venture.

I would like to add that in order to be competative a your combined total cost is going to have to be on par with the rest. I would look at bundleing orders for brass/bullets or disounts on shipping based on bulk buys. Unless of course you intent to to just corner your local market and walk in customers.

shotgunred
04-13-2011, 16:05
You will need to check the price differences and see if you can buy in big enough bulk to make money on reselling smaller orders. I know most experienced reloaders buy in bulk to save. I order a minimum of 2K on bullets and 5 K on primers.

I will PM you about 40 sw brass.

PS avoid amscore 223 brass!

unclebob
04-13-2011, 16:55
Basically what everyone else has said. The biggest thing for we would be the price. I typically order 30,000 to 50,000 primers. 12+ pounds of powder and a group buy 10,000 plated bullets at a time. Mainly 9mm 135gr. and a couple thousand 200gr 45acp. Also since you would be on my way to Kissimmee. Well you have a store front? I also reload for skeet shooting.

dudel
04-13-2011, 17:03
Hi,

Depends on the item, but all three. Things I use little of (.357 158gr JHP) 500, use lots (.45 200gr TC) 1000

.30, .357, 9mm, .45, .223

Plated

That's tougher. I normally buy quantity when they go on sale. I keep enough in stock that I usually don't have to panic buy.

Best wishes on your new effort.

ARSMITH
04-13-2011, 18:06
You will need to check the price differences and see if you can buy in big enough bulk to make money on reselling smaller orders. I know most experienced reloaders buy in bulk to save. I order a minimum of 2K on bullets and 5 K on primers.

I will PM you about 40 sw brass.

PS avoid amscore 223 brass!

Yeah sure thing. I will be ordering in 25,000ct quantities and stocking these. I have dealer accounts already in place with some name-brand bullet companies and will be purchasing products from them.

ARSMITH
04-13-2011, 18:10
Basically what everyone else has said. The biggest thing for we would be the price. I typically order 30,000 to 50,000 primers. 12+ pounds of powder and a group buy 10,000 plated bullets at a time. Mainly 9mm 135gr. and a couple thousand 200gr 45acp. Also since you would be on my way to Kissimmee. Well you have a store front? I also reload for skeet shooting.

I do not have a store front. I am willing to do business though face-to-face at my location, but I do not have a "store front". I primarily sell online and to commercial reloaders for the brass, but with the bullets I know it will mainly be personal reloaders or gun clubs. I will be able to purchase in bulk enough orders that if a gun club or a group wanted to get together on orders I can cut a little off the price, but partial to full payment will need to be in advance if I have to order specifically for the club from the manufacturer.

Feel free to check out my website and contact me if you ever want to stop in and pick something up.

ARSMITH
04-13-2011, 20:46
Thank you for the input dudel.

m2hmghb
04-13-2011, 21:13
Your place has decent prices. I have one thing to nit pick though, it says rounds for pieces of brass. Cases might be more appropriate, so people don't think it's live ammo. I would suggest you set up an e-mail list to notify people when things come in. I am also curious about your shipping prices.

On topic: I'd be interested in 500 and 1000 boxes for pistol plus 100 and 500 for rifles.

njl
04-13-2011, 21:40
I'm another local...so if you had a good selection of powder and primers at competitive prices with Grafs, Powder Valley, Wideners, then it'd probably be worth the drive to pick stuff up (and pay state sales tax) and save the shipping/hazmat.

ARSMITH
04-13-2011, 22:25
Your place has decent prices. I have one thing to nit pick though, it says rounds for pieces of brass. Cases might be more appropriate, so people don't think it's live ammo. I would suggest you set up an e-mail list to notify people when things come in. I am also curious about your shipping prices.

On topic: I'd be interested in 500 and 1000 boxes for pistol plus 100 and 500 for rifles.

Thank you for pointing out the "rounds" thing. I will fix this soon.

Thanks, I have spent countless hours on the backside of the site figuring out shipping. I ship USPS Priority on items that are less than $65 shipping. Usually this is between 20-30,000ct of brass before I quote on UPS freight.

The shipping calculator is based on price as there was not an option on the weight because USPS does not matter about weight up to 70lbs.

To get a quote on the shipping you would have to place items in your cart and it will calculate it.

I will keep the bullet suggestions in mind. Thanks

ARSMITH
04-13-2011, 22:30
I'm another local...so if you had a good selection of powder and primers at competitive prices with Grafs, Powder Valley, Wideners, then it'd probably be worth the drive to pick stuff up (and pay state sales tax) and save the shipping/hazmat.

Yeah sure thing.

Maybe I need to clarify a little. I am thinking on mainly starting to carry bullets and some small other accessories such as plastic ammo bins, treated/un-treated corn cob media, and things like this. I am trying to get feedback on these items.

Unfortunately I do not have plans on selling primers or powder at this time.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

dudel
04-14-2011, 01:47

Glad to help. BTW, stopped by your site, and bookmarked it. There's a good selection of brass including my favorite SP ACP! Prices look very good. I like that you have the choice of mixed and what appears to be same headstamp.

ARSMITH
04-14-2011, 08:55
Glad to help. BTW, stopped by your site, and bookmarked it. There's a good selection of brass including my favorite SP ACP! Prices look very good. I like that you have the choice of mixed and what appears to be same headstamp.

Thank you. We get a lot of SP 45ACP in for some reason. I don't sell mixed HS/mixed primer stuff. All my mixed HS brass is all LP brass. Since I go through and pull out all the SP I go ahead and HS all the brass.

I am out of stock right this second on 45 HS but should have some more back in the next week or so. That HS stuff sells ASAP

dudel
04-16-2011, 06:46

Put in a small order yesterday. Needed a few cases to fill out some special testing. I've got to say, that it's one of the easiest sites to use for loading the cart and payment.

Strong work.

firemedic1343
04-16-2011, 06:49
10mm.

You won't have much competition with 45 Super.

Cavalry Doc
04-16-2011, 08:24
.308, .30-06, .270. Looks like you already have what I would be looking for in pistol brass.

dudel
04-21-2011, 18:22

Brass arrived today in very good condition. Fast shipping. Certainly be adding this company to my list of suppliers.

Thanks,

Don

labdwakin
04-21-2011, 20:55
I'd be interested in some 230 fmj for my 45s if it's competitive.