Wait Time for CCHP in Wake Co. -- 82 days [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wait Time for CCHP in Wake Co. -- 82 days

Maikeli7
04-13-2011, 12:36
I just got my CCHP today! I applied for it at the Wake County Sheriff's Department in Raleigh on January 21, 2011, after having succesfully completed an 8-hour CCHP Class in Fuquay-Varina. The clerk at the Sheriff's Department told me it would take ten weeks.
Turns out she was not kidding. It took me 82 days (approx. 11 weeks) to receive it -- in the mail. I had been told by a friend that they called him and he had to go pick it up at the Sheriff's office. I guess they have changed their policy, and people get it in the mail now.
Anyways, I just wanted to let my experience be known to anyone else in Wake County who is waiting for the CCHP or is thinking of applying for one.

ncglock19
04-13-2011, 22:24
I had heard that they were now mailing the permits out. The old wait time from application to notification was pretty solid at about 5 weeks. Don't know if this is because they now mail them or if it was you. Not sure if you moved into the state recently, or just from somewhere else in NC.

I'll be interested in hearing how other people do with the new mailing process.

nc19

Maikeli7
04-14-2011, 14:51
I had heard that they were now mailing the permits out. The old wait time from application to notification was pretty solid at about 5 weeks. Don't know if this is because they now mail them or if it was you. Not sure if you moved into the state recently, or just from somewhere else in NC.

I'll be interested in hearing how other people do with the new mailing process.

nc19
I'm of two minds about this. First, the lady at the window said at the outset that it was going to be ten weeks. Seemed like something she was used to saying. But also, it may in fact have been me. I've lived in 4 states and 3 countries, plus I have a pretty common name.
Whatever the case, I'm glad the wait is over!:cool:

ncglock19
04-14-2011, 19:49
Something that completely escaped me in my first note. There may have been a flood of people applying for a CC permit, due to the recent actions of the nutjob in Arizona.

The guy at the desk at the Wake County range said that ever since the AZ shooting, they have had to add a lot more CC classes. Hopefully more people will share their wait times.

nc19

Bogey
05-26-2011, 19:10
Concealed carry classes are pouring out more people the last two years than ever before.

When I first got my permit, my wait was 13 calendar days....not business days.

My renewal was less time than that.

The attitude Sheriff Harrison has toward civilians carrying is beyond reproach, so I dare say the wait is due indeed to a larger volume of applicants.

trcubed
05-30-2011, 05:58
Part of the delay is due to the sheriff doing a more thorough mental health check on applicants. I believe they are contacting all MH institutions in the state to verify whether or not an applicant has ever been treated.

And there are a lot more CCW applicants to check.

beancounter81
05-30-2011, 12:23
It took me 82 days (approx. 11 weeks) to receive it

You Wake County people always get special treatment. My wife got her CCW earlier this year in Guilford County and it took 93 days (yes, I know the law specifies no more than 90).

3.slow
05-30-2011, 12:31
AZ CCW got to me in less than one week

WoodenPlank
05-30-2011, 13:11
I got my NC carry permit 5 years ago this summer, and it only took about 2 weeks. I have since moved to FL, where my FL licence took 8 calendar days. The whole mental health bit that is now required in NC is disgusting to me, and makes me grateful to now live in FL.

Bogey
05-30-2011, 18:06
You Wake County people always get special treatment. My wife got her CCW earlier this year in Guilford County and it took 93 days (yes, I know the law specifies no more than 90).

Get a Sheriff candidate that's pro-carry to run. Then elect him/her.

bimmerland
06-03-2011, 20:44
Took the class beginning of Feb this year and got mine in 43 days. Was contacted directly by Wake Sheriff's dept by phone. Have not heard of any mailing's from my friends.

Maikeli7
06-05-2011, 09:04
Took the class beginning of Feb this year and got mine in 43 days. Was contacted directly by Wake Sheriff's dept by phone. Have not heard of any mailing's from my friends.
Well ain't that odd??
By phone, huh?
Weird! I got mine in the mail, which I thought kind of unsafe, really.
You'd think they'd have one way of doing it.

cdflippin
06-26-2011, 08:48
How can they mail you your permit? I just got mine in March & I had to pick it up in person. I had to sign it before the laminated it.

It also only took 3 1/2 weeks. I'm in Stokes county so a lot less people.

HeliGlock
06-26-2011, 11:06
Live in FL, only took 7 days and I had mine.

bimmerland
06-26-2011, 11:47
+1 on mailing. I had to sign my permit in person and have it verified with my NCDL at the window