total newbie...dumb questions. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : total newbie...dumb questions.

jakebrake
04-13-2011, 14:20
my dad passed a few years back, and i seem to have inherited his dillon precision loading press. i haven't had much to do with reloading in a long time...i was sort of just hands in the equation.

needless to say, i can't ask him, so, is there a good book or video anyone can recommend to help get me started?

XDRoX
04-13-2011, 14:23
my dad passed a few years back, and i seem to have inherited his dillon precision loading press. i haven't had much to do with reloading in a long time...i was sort of just hands in the equation.

needless to say, i can't ask him, so, is there a good book or video anyone can recommend to help get me started?

ABC's of Reloading is a good book. There are tons of videos on youtube.

jakebrake
04-13-2011, 14:34
thanks for the info. i figure with the prices (and shortages) these days, i may as well get started.

fredj338
04-13-2011, 20:22
The ABCs is a good starting point. Dillon also offers a DVD to setup your press. Get two good reloading mnaulas; Lyman & Speer are the best IMO.

labdwakin
04-13-2011, 23:09
And, since I'm such a nice guy, if you get frustrated and don't wanna fool with it anymore, I'll give ya $175 for the press and accessories. :supergrin:

But really, welcome to the Zoo! :whistling:

Uncle Don
04-14-2011, 05:01
I'm glad you plan to learn to use it - your Dad would be happy with that. This is a good place for advice but I agree that you should get a good book and look through it.

This stuff is not rocket science as some might have you belive. After people have been into it awhile, they speak in details which could just serve to confuse you. There are a few stauch rules of which you'll learn in the book. The most important thing is that if you have doubt, stop and ask - there are many people here willing to help.

IndyGunFreak
04-14-2011, 05:55
Surprised nobody asked yet... What press is it?

All the good instructional/manuals have been mentioned.

Best of luck

Colorado4Wheel
04-14-2011, 07:23

The best manual for the actual process of loading on a Dillon happens to be the Dillon Manual.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/manuals.html

unclebob
04-14-2011, 08:00
The best manual for the actual process of loading on a Dillon happens to be the Dillon Manual.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/manuals.html

:agree:
I would say about 95% of the questions that are asked on GT, about a Dillon press; you can find the answer in the instruction manual.

jakebrake
04-16-2011, 09:44
Surprised nobody asked yet... What press is it?

All the good instructional/manuals have been mentioned.

Best of luck

i'm not 100% sure, but i think it's an rl 550. it's probably 10 or 11 years old, though. the handle looks a little different. (got a ball on the end instead of the ends that are there on current presses)

a first i thought square deal, but he reloaded 45-70. i believe square deal need not apply for that.

fredj338
04-16-2011, 10:35
i'm not 100% sure, but i think it's an rl 550. it's probably 10 or 11 years old, though. the handle looks a little different. (got a ball on the end instead of the ends that are there on current presses)

a first i thought square deal, but he reloaded 45-70. i believe square deal need not apply for that.

If it's manual indexing, it's a 550, great progressive, one of the easiest to get going right away. The Dillon manual is helpful, should answer most of your equip questions. The ABCs & a good reloading manual will answer the rest. The few odd things can be answered on a good forum like this. While not rocket science, missing the little things can get you in trouble quickly.

jakebrake
04-16-2011, 10:40
If it's manual indexing, it's a 550, great progressive, one of the easiest to get going right away. The Dillon manual is helpful, should answer most of your equip questions. The ABCs & a good reloading manual will answer the rest. The few odd things can be answered on a good forum like this. While not rocket science, missing the little things can get you in trouble quickly.

just started reading the a.b.c.'s of reloading. the getting you in trouble really quickly is a theme they really want to tell you, up front, and in no uncertain terms.