bullet choice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : bullet choice

supercrew
04-13-2011, 15:45
I'm not able to find any reasonably priced jacked bullets so I'm thinking about trying some plated 9mm bullets from Berry's. I'm probably going to try some of their 115 gr. round nose, but also would like to load some of the 124 gr.

In 124 gr. they offer both round nose and hollow point. Any advantage to shooting either of these in my model 19?

I assume Berry's are quality as I've seen quite a few posts on success with them.

Boxerglocker
04-13-2011, 16:02
Hollow points are in theory more accurate and stable in flight. RN are for general plicking, target and close range competition.

Have you looked at Precision Delta 2K minimum order $79K shipped for 124g FMJ's, just as cheap as plated in most cases. Depending on your reloading experience FMJ's might be a better choice.

sellersm
04-13-2011, 16:37
I like Berry's in 124gr, both RN and HP. I've not used their 115gr so can't comment on them.

Berry's recently had a price increase, unfortunately, making them not so attractive anymore. I get mine from TJ Coneveras.

Precision Delta is a great option! I've got a few K of those as well.

XDRoX
04-13-2011, 17:32
If by model 19 you mean G19, then it doesn't really matter, it'll shoot anything.

I really like Berry's plated bullets. I shoot them exclusively in 9mm. They are very uniform in shape and weight. More so than other companies that I've tried.

The only problem with them is the price. Very expensive compared to other companies. I don't mind paying the extra because I feel like I'm paying for the quality.

I've shot thousands of their 115gr and 124gr without issue. Tomorrow I'm expecting some 147gr in the mail. I want to work on some mouse fart loads with them.

fredj338
04-13-2011, 20:21
A good bullet, but more espensive than PrecDelta FMJ, almost as high as MontanaGold in bulk. The MG are jacketed & much better quality than Berry's.

supercrew
04-13-2011, 20:28
Hollow points are in theory more accurate and stable in flight. RN are for general plicking, target and close range competition.

Have you looked at Precision Delta 2K minimum order $79K shipped for 124g FMJ's, just as cheap as plated in most cases. Depending on your reloading experience FMJ's might be a better choice.

I would really like to order from PD but they seldom have anything in stock and can't give you any time frame as to when it will be available. Placed an order last year and never heard back from them.

I can't find any FMJ's that are not at least in the $100 per K price range. Berry's basically charges the same for hollow points as RN but I've just never used the HP's, or plated bullets for that matter and just trying to figure out which bullet to order.

ron59
04-13-2011, 20:36
I would really like to order from PD but they seldom have anything in stock and can't give you any time frame as to when it will be available. Placed an order last year and never heard back from them.

The only 9mm I usually see PD not have in stock are 147grainers. 115 and 124 are usually no issue ?

Well, I did just check and even the 124s are not in stock right now. hmmmmm

JPP
04-13-2011, 20:54
I use Berry 115 gr RN. Their price per 1000 is still the best available, I don't buy more than 1000 at a time. I use them in my G19 and P226, they shoot well. No complaints.

Boxerglocker
04-13-2011, 21:05

I can't find any FMJ's that are not at least in the $100 per K price range. Berry's basically charges the same for hollow points as RN but I've just never used the HP's, or plated bullets for that matter and just trying to figure out which bullet to order.

Give PD a call. I heard the 124g line was next, for later this month. I order from them all the time, place orders in advance to anticipate production.

cole
04-13-2011, 21:42
I just bought a pile of Berry's 124gr FP. I like the hole they make in paper. And, they seem more consistent in accuracy. I have switched to Unique from TG for these, so it's not apples-to-apples. Precision Delta has good deals on FMJ. I've used many of those in 9mm, especially over TG, and still have many on the shelf behind the Berry's.

albyihat
04-13-2011, 21:49
Call PD and ask when they will be available.

supercrew
04-14-2011, 08:21
Call PD and ask when they will be available.

Well of course that was the first thing I did. The answer is "they are running them now and we have no idea when they will be available". That, in itself makes no sense to me! This was the same answer I got last year when I placed an order and never heard from them.

But back to my original question, round nose vs. jacketed hollow point. Anyone really compared the accuracy in 9mm?

Boxerglocker
04-14-2011, 08:52
Well of course that was the first thing I did. The answer is "they are running them now and we have no idea when they will be available". That, in itself makes no sense to me! This was the same answer I got last year when I placed an order and never heard from them.

But back to my original question, round nose vs. jacketed hollow point. Anyone really compared the accuracy in 9mm?

I just got off the phone with Patricia at PD, whom incidentally I have dealt with over the phone numerous times and has always been helpful asked what the status of the current run of 124g FMJ's was her answer: Quote: "We just caught up on our run, go ahead and place your order and it will ship next week"

I've tested JHP's vs FMJ's at 25 yards with the same bullet weights and velocities using MG bullets. The JHP's are definately tighter groups at that distance about 1 to 1.5 inches tighter (for 5 shot strings) but inside that no appreciable difference. YMMV.

Kwesi
04-14-2011, 12:06
I have ordered many times from PD and always have them within 7 - 20 days. I'd give them another try.

tjpet
04-14-2011, 16:40

The 124grn.HP is the most accurate 9mm bullet Berry's offers. No expansion to speak of in the classic HP sense. But for range/target use it's a winner. One hole accurate through my BHPs, SDs, and Glocks. Nothing wrong with their standard 9mm slugs as they're plenty good, too. The HP's are just a bit better. I load them over 5.0grns. of WST and get excellent results.

For the record Berry's .40 180grn.RNs are the slickest feeding, most accurate plated bullet I've ever used. Don't hear much about the bullet but it's a winner from my testing/competition use.