Handloads a problem for SD use? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Handloads a problem for SD use?

21Carrier
04-14-2011, 06:02
Mas,
First, thanks so much for taking time out of your undoubtedly busy schedule to help all of us with our questions. I just found this GATE section and was amazed that you were here answering questions. While browsing through others' questions, and your answers, I saw the following (which is part of your response to another GT member):

"But, hell, 40 years ago, I wouldn't have foreseen problems with using handloads in self-defense, or a deliberate justifiable self-defense shooting with a gun that might have a lighter than factory spec trigger, and the years proved that such problems did come up."

Are you saying there are possible problems with carrying hand loads? I have a Glock 29 that goes everywhere with me. Being a 10mm, of course I reload. After seeing some dismal chronograph results for the Cor-Bon Pow'rBall rounds that I had been carrying, I decided to start carrying some hand loaded 155gr Hornady XTPs (quite hot).

Am I possibly setting myself up for a legal nightmare by carrying these? I plan on ordering some Double Tap or Swamp Fox ammo in the near future. Would extremely powerful, specialty ammo like this also give me courtroom fits? Of course I never WANT to use the gun, but I'd like to do all in my power to minimize my chances of legal trouble if such a situation would ever arise.

Also, has a lighter trigger caused such courtroom woes? My friend was thinking about lightening the pull on his Glock 32. Should I tell him to think twice?

Thanks in advance!!!

Mas Ayoob
04-14-2011, 21:58
Yes, I'm afraid both handloads and lighter than factory spec trigger pulls have caused problems for their users in court, internet myth to the contrary.

The most recent Glock Talk discussion of handload issues, which if read in its entirety will link you to more such discussions, can be found here: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1286956

The Search function at Glock Talk will bring you more, though these discussions all seem to run along the same lines.

For the light trigger issue, probably the best here -- encompassing both sides of the issue completely enough to be made a "sticky" -- is here: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1259716

Best,
Mas

21Carrier
04-15-2011, 00:07
Yeah, right after I asked you the question, I saw others with the same concerns, and found links to the applicable threads. I sometimes get so aggravated and shocked by things like this that I forget about the search tool. Sorry to waste your time with a question and debate that has been beat to death repeatedly.