New ammo not seated correctly? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New ammo not seated correctly?

Jfduece
04-14-2011, 17:16
Okay, so this is not exactly a reloading question but i figure you all hanging out here would be the best ones to ask.

I just had 2 boxes(40 cartridges) of Winchester Supreme Elite XP3 .270 Win delivered. I open the box and empty them out to make a quick quality check. This is expensive stuff at $40/box and I want to make sure everything is cool. Much to my surprise one of the bullets looks shorter than the others. So I line them all up on a flat surface and sure enough one of the bullets is seated about 2-3 mm too deep. I'm pretty new to guns and I've never seen this before but i really didn't expect it with this "premium" ammo.

1. is this okay to shoot?
2. should i contact winchester? i've heard of people with similar problems getting full refund or replacement for the box
3. is this a true fluke or is it a reflection of winchester or this brand line? should i avoid buying more?

thanks!

ohspyro89
04-14-2011, 17:23
Take a caliper and check the over all length. It should be anywhere from 3.14-3.36 I think.

If it fits in those parameters, I'd shoot it!

justinsaneok
04-14-2011, 17:28
All of my WWB ammo is poo. All the lengths are different, and they never hit the same spot twice. Call them and see what they say. I shot 800 rounds just to have brass to load. At $40 a box I would call. People will buy it if it's poo or not. I won't!

fredj338
04-15-2011, 08:55
If it fits the chamber it's safe to shoot. Bullet setback in rifles is not the same issue it is in pistol ammo.

Zombie Steve
04-15-2011, 09:16
Yep. I'd just use that one to foul the barrel before I tested or used the rest.

shotgunred
04-15-2011, 09:36
I would send the picture to Winchester and explain how concerned you are about its safety and shooting it. Include lot information on the box.
You will probably get some free ammo out of the deal.