New to reloading! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New to reloading!

deserttactical45
04-14-2011, 20:03
Whats a good reliable single stack reloader. Im planning on reloading 45 acp and 7.62x39 primarily.

njl
04-14-2011, 20:09
Things will go a whole lot faster with either a turret or progressive press. Dillon now sells a stripped down version of the RL550B (minus the powder and primer systems) that you can use kind of like a faster turret press and it can be upgraded with the missing parts into a RL550B when you really want to go faster.

cole
04-14-2011, 20:14
Whats a good reliable single stack stage reloader. Im planning on reloading 45 acp and 7.62x39 primarily.

The one with highest resale because you'll be selling it soon for progressive.

albyihat
04-14-2011, 20:23
I have been kicking around the idea of getting a second Dillon 550. So I have been keeping an eye on ebay and watching the prices. Every used dillon press that sells on ebay does so for almost what you can buy it for new. In other words if you buy one and don't like it you can sell it for just about what you paid. Just something to keep in mind when press shopping. And for what it is worth I love my 550.

Colorado4Wheel
04-14-2011, 20:26
Whats a good reliable single stack reloader. Im planning on reloading 45 acp and 7.62x39 primarily.

I use my thumb. But thats on a double stack.

XDRoX
04-14-2011, 20:28
General consensus is just about any brand single stage press will be fine. The best is Forester, but very expensive. RCBS is highly regarded and reasonably priced. Lee makes nice ones as well for very little cost. You really can't go wrong with an RCBS Rock Chucker. IMO every reloader needs a SS on the bench. Mine still gets lots of action.

GioaJack
04-14-2011, 20:31
General consensus is just about any brand single stage press will be fine. The best is Forester, but very expensive. RCBS is highly regarded and reasonably priced. Lee makes nice ones as well for very little cost. You really can't go wrong with an RCBS Rock Chucker. IMO every reloader needs a SS on the bench. Mine still gets lots of action.

Cue Unclebob.

Jack

SilentVectorX
04-14-2011, 20:46
If I was going to re-buy my stuff, I'd get a Turret press for starters. Also I would get a Dillon RT1200 instead of a RCBS Trim Pro with 3-way cutters.

shotgunred
04-14-2011, 21:14
7.62x39 brass is hard to come by. It is going to be an expensive round to reload for. Especially with the price of Russian ammo.

unclebob
04-14-2011, 21:20
[/COLOR]

Cue Unclebob.

Jack

People say you need one. But I can not figure out why?:dunno:

whenmonkeysfly
04-14-2011, 21:30
Forster CO-AX is a high quality single stage, but a Dillon you can upgrade to a progressive later would be a better choice, e.g., Dillon 550 Basic Loader, IMHO.

whenmonkeysfly
04-14-2011, 21:37
I love my Forster CO-AX and wouldn't sell it or trade it for any other single stage press. BUT, that being said, loading on a single stage gets a little old quick if you like to shoot more than a couple hundred rounds a month....

norton
04-15-2011, 05:23
My vote is for the RCBS rock chucker. Its solid mounted linkage makes it a pleasure to use. And you can still buy a new one for less then $150. If you get a chance, go to a large sporting goods store, where they have presses set up you can try out. Cheap single stages seem to have sloppy linkage. Grab the handle and wiggle it from side to side and you will see what I mean.
You will always find a use for your single stage, even if you upgrade to a progressive later. I have a Dillon 550 progressive, but loaded a hundred rounds on my R/C of .40 last night. I use it for the calibers I don't load that much. And all of my rifle rounds.

fredj338
04-15-2011, 08:58
Any of the heavier built O presses like the RCBS RCII or Lee CC will last you your entire life. I would rethink loading for the 7.62x39 unless you have a bolt gun you are trying to get precision rounds for. The cost of reloadable brass & components is tough to beat compared to cheap WOlf for say an AK.

deserttactical45
04-16-2011, 00:42
My vote is for the RCBS rock chucker. Its solid mounted linkage makes it a pleasure to use. And you can still buy a new one for less then $150. If you get a chance, go to a large sporting goods store, where they have presses set up you can try out. Cheap single stages seem to have sloppy linkage. Grab the handle and wiggle it from side to side and you will see what I mean.
You will always find a use for your single stage, even if you upgrade to a progressive later. I have a Dillon 550 progressive, but loaded a hundred rounds on my R/C of .40 last night. I use it for the calibers I don't load that much. And all of my rifle rounds.

Where can I buy a Rock Chucker?

Boxerglocker
04-16-2011, 01:25
I would very seriously take into consideration the above advice regarding your intention to load 7.62x39 with that in mind and having made a decision. If you opted not to load for that rifle caliber and only .45 ACP a LCT is a great start. Price would be in the low $200's from Kempfs with everything you need to load one caliber minus a scale.

whenmonkeysfly
04-16-2011, 10:25

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=513567

fredj338
04-16-2011, 10:33

ANy gunshop or on line gun store will stock reloading kits like the RCBS RCII, Hornady or Lee.