Clark Hammock / Glock - anybody? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Clark Hammock / Glock - anybody?

aaronmj
04-15-2011, 06:48
http://www.junglehammock.com/models/northamerican/index.php#

http://www.junglehammock.com/

So I bought this hammock (camo, north american) and I have to say, it's one of the best things i've bought for camping. I've grown up in the Adirondacks and generally hike in to the wilderness areas anywhere from 5-10 miles in the middle of nowhere. As I got older, I was in a bad accident and have some arthritic problems with metal in my body and comfort of camping. THIS HAS CHANGED EVERYTHING. Sick of sleeping in water when it rains, forget about it. Sick of crawling out of the tent and trying to put your shoes on sitting down, just unzip, sit up, and put your shoes on like your sitting in a chair. Clarks name to fame in camping hammocks is you can't tip it over. Also, for the guys, if you want to pee in the night, unzip, lean to the side, pee. (remember it doesn't flip). :supergrin:

The bonus for me is Clark hammocks include two pockets inside. The one on the right of your head is a pouch, the one on the left side is a pouch with the end facing the tree left un-sewed for a pistol muzzle to point out. (They call it the "pistol pouch". It's so handy and fits my glock 27 VERY nicely. But it could fit any handgun just fine since the end is not stitched up so you can put anything in there.

So for those that want to take camping to the next level of comfort/awesomeness, clarkjunglehammock!

p.s. I figure I have to share this information because me and like 10 other buddies have this hammock and have NO regrets. It's awesome.

p.p.s. I also figured I should share because I just did a 4 night trip with it last week and it was 50 deg. during the day, 15 deg. at night and I was very comfortable.

Let the drooling begin. :supergrin:

Aaron

Dennis in MA
04-15-2011, 08:40
I usually bring my Banana hammock. Does that count? ;)

Not a hammock fan. I've always felt stiff after being in one. But that one is interesting.

aaronmj
04-15-2011, 09:57
I know what you mean but you can get into a position in this hammock where when you lay a little diagonally, you're laying flat. I roll a lot when I sleep and have slept on my stomach, side, every which way in this and am totally comfortable!

noway
04-16-2011, 11:45
Hammock are cool but useless where I'm at. Can't find 2 tress close enough and impractical at a camping ground for the same reason.

What I found interesting that would beat the pants off the hammock, is a self erecting bed frame tent thing that cabela had advertised about 4 years ago. I never bought one but it did the same minus the need for a tree.

Both concepts get you off the ant & snake infested ground, and supports you without having a hard surface to sleep on.

I'm sleeping on pure sand for the most part, so it's not as bad as a tent pitched on rocky grounds.

fwiw: My next tent will be a bivy sack from Big Agnes.

quinnt
04-16-2011, 23:57
They look interesting but at over $300 I'll have to pass for now

BENCH
04-17-2011, 19:04
I bought a cheap nylon one from Campmor just to see if my bad back could handle it.

I wake up with no back pain, and I always wake up with back pain.

I will never sleep on a cot again.

BENCH

Bilbo Bagins
04-22-2011, 11:40
All the hikers I know with bad backs swear by hammock camping.
I'm still a tent camper, but I have been toying with hammock setups. I sometime take an Eno hammock during dayhikes on the AT, so I can take off my boots and relax while my lunch is cooking. If your interested go on youtube and search Hammock and Shug Emery. This Shug guy has tons of information on hammock camping especially in cold conditions.

Clark makes a REAL nice setup, but you can go with other manufactures for less money for those who cannot afford a Clark hammock.

aaronmj
04-26-2011, 04:32
Yeah, I've seen other hammocks, there are some nice features but when it really comes down to it, there are a lot of advantages to a clark, their just the top of the line hammock. (Which is why myself and a lot of my friends all own the clark.) Especially with the amount of camping I do, it's worth the extra money to sleep/camp well.

Bilbo Bagins
04-26-2011, 08:00
Yeah, I've seen other hammocks, there are some nice features but when it really comes down to it, there are a lot of advantages to a clark, their just the top of the line hammock. (Which is why myself and a lot of my friends all own the clark.) Especially with the amount of camping I do, it's worth the extra money to sleep/camp well.

+1

If I was going to go full hammock camping I would take a hard look at a Clark North American.

I have a Eno single nest Hammock basically for the kids to screw around with in the backyard. Its pretty durable and made to hold 400lb so the kids can pile on it, and at $50 if they break it its no big loss. If you get the complete Eno camping hammock shelter system it will run about $160 BUT the stuff sack is the size of a tent and the entire system weigh 4 1/2. Clark is over a pound lighter and tiny packed up.

Some say get a hennessy but a $150 hennessy is great for someone who is 5'8 and weighs 150. To get a hennessy that can hold someone that is over 6 and weighs 250, you will need to spend $300 on the higher end hennessy. Your Clark is rated up to 700lb

What I like about the clark is it solves some of the major problems with hammock camping. Having storage pockets under the hammock gives you a place to put your stuff like boots and whatnot. The thing that always creeped me out about hammock camping is leaving your stuff out to get wet, muddy, stolen, infested with bugs. Clark solved that problem and by having those pockets also solved two others. Hennessy and other single layered nylon hammock do not protect you from Mosquitos and other stinging bugs. But But wait it has mosquito netting. Yea but what about your back. in the dead summer when your sleeping in your hammock with no sleeping bag, the mosquitos will bite your back something fierce. With Clark you have that protective layer of stuff so they cannot get your butt. The stuff also provides dead air space and insulation. A hard lesson a lot of new hammock campers learn is a single layered nylon hammock is great on hot summer days, but in the cool spring and fall, you freeze because there is zero insulation on your back, and the fabric that makes a hammock dry fast and cool in the summer, will rob your back of heat in cool and cold weather, even if you are sleeping in a warm bag. To solve that some hammock campers bring underquilts and pads, which is more money and weight. The Clark is a 4 season hammock.

In the end, if you are serious about hammock camping, I think you made a good purchase.

aaronmj
04-26-2011, 08:26
+1

If I was going to go full hammock camping I would take a hard look at a Clark North American.

I have a Eno single nest Hammock basically for the kids to screw around with in the backyard. Its pretty durable and made to hold 400lb so the kids can pile on it, and at $50 if they break it its no big loss. If you get the complete Eno camping hammock shelter system it will run about $160 BUT the stuff sack is the size of a tent and the entire system weigh 4 1/2. Clark is over a pound lighter and tiny packed up.

Some say get a hennessy but a $150 hennessy is great for someone who is 5'8 and weighs 150. To get a hennessy that can hold someone that is over 6 and weighs 250, you will need to spend $300 on the higher end hennessy. Your Clark is rated up to 700lb

What I like about the clark is it solves some of the major problems with hammock camping. Having storage pockets under the hammock gives you a place to put your stuff like boots and whatnot. The thing that always creeped me out about hammock camping is leaving your stuff out to get wet, muddy, stolen, infested with bugs. Clark solved that problem and by having those pockets also solved two others. Hennessy and other single layered nylon hammock do not protect you from Mosquitos and other stinging bugs. But But wait it has mosquito netting. Yea but what about your back. in the dead summer when your sleeping in your hammock with no sleeping bag, the mosquitos will bite your back something fierce. With Clark you have that protective layer of stuff so they cannot get your butt. The stuff also provides dead air space and insulation. A hard lesson a lot of new hammock campers learn is a single layered nylon hammock is great on hot summer days, but in the cool spring and fall, you freeze because there is zero insulation on your back, and the fabric that makes a hammock dry fast and cool in the summer, will rob your back of heat in cool and cold weather, even if you are sleeping in a warm bag. To solve that some hammock campers bring underquilts and pads, which is more money and weight. The Clark is a 4 season hammock.

In the end, if you are serious about hammock camping, I think you made a good purchase.

Agreed:supergrin:
To add to that, if you buy the lighter clark hammocks, the tropical ones that don't have the pouches, or as many.... they make all their hammocks with a special material that repels mosquitos. And does it ever work. I owned a cheap "jungle hammock" that I was EATEN ALIVE in during the summer on my back, the mosquitos don't even think about trying on the clark. It's amazing how well it works! And I've personally done winter camping with it, comfortably. I use a 1" blow up thermarest under me to get an extra layer of insulation and it's all good!!

vafish
04-29-2011, 21:13
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/camping/DSCN2045.jpg

I use a Byer Mosquito and a cheap no-name hammock with a nylon tarp from Sportsmans Guide.

Love them for camping. Wish I could get the wife to let me hang one in the bedroom.

Here is the Byer on it's first camping trip with a cheap poly tarp.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/camping/01090016.jpg