XS Big Dots? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : XS Big Dots?

GlockGuyGip
04-15-2011, 06:56
I think these will be going on my new G27 (when i get it). Anyone got any good or bad results with these sights? Thanks for your time. Pictures always greatly appreciated...

sig357fan
04-15-2011, 07:01
got them on a G31, not something I'm gonna use for precision shooting but surprisingly quick to get on target.

sig357fan

girphoto
04-15-2011, 07:02
I think these will be going on my new G27 (when i get it). Anyone got any good or bad results with these sights? Thanks for your time. Pictures always greatly appreciated...
Before you do, look at Ameriglo, front sight GL-212-OR.
It is BIG (like XS) BUT......
It is Orange and at night it glows GREEN.
What a sight and very easy to see in all light conditions.

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/girphoto/Boresight2.jpg
Give Rick at Ameriglo a call 770-390-0554 and he can send them right out to you...

whenmonkeysfly
04-15-2011, 07:07
The rear XS sight is barely visible in low/no light situations. I didn't like them at all. I switched back to Dawson Night Sights (my favorites) and/or Mepro's.

faawrenchbndr
04-15-2011, 07:12
The rear XS sight is barely visible in low/no light situations. I didn't like them at all. I switched back to Dawson Night Sights (my favorites) and/or Mepro's.

You must have gotten a bad set. My rear sight is nearly as bright as the front.
Love BigDots on sub-compacts!

faawrenchbndr
04-15-2011, 07:16

Scroll down to the "Sights, Lasers' & Optics" page and search for "Big Dots"
Three pages of threads

Pm me with what you need for pics

KingWalleye
04-15-2011, 07:16
For a carry gun they are excellent. Super fast front sight pickup and really bright in low light conditiions.These are express sights not precision target sights.They are well suited for "minute of forehead" accuracy.

KarlThomas
04-15-2011, 08:07
I'm still working on getting precise with these sights. I have them on my G30. I feel very confident in them as practical self defense sights. Very quick and precise enough to fire center mass at an attacker.

BamaTrooper
04-15-2011, 08:12
You must have gotten a bad set. My rear sight is nearly as bright as the front.
Love BigDots on sub-compacts!

...and when I had a set, I went BIG front NS and no rear night sight. I found the sights fine for close and fast, but lacking at greater than 15. May have been my personal preference or long association with standard post and notch sights preventing me from taking full advantage.

SamRudolph
04-15-2011, 08:37
Unless your eyes are reaaaaaaally bad, the Standard Dot is better. Just as fast to pick up, but more accuracy.

RMD
04-15-2011, 08:49
Got them on my G26 and like them a lot! For me, they're perfect carry/SD sights.

Arc Angel
04-15-2011, 11:48
I'm going to vote for AmeriGlo, too. I've actually had to use, 'night sights' at night. 'Night sights' is a misnomer. I don't care what color the rear sight projects. Why? Because that's not where my eyes focus. Two things happen when you shoot in the dark, and especially when you're stressed: First, you're moving so fast that the front sight seems to become the only sight you see. Second, there's a perfectly human tendency to focus intensely on both the front sight AND the target, together.

Know what? Too often the front sight is going to win; and, with a real bright front (That, probably, isn't going to be deeply, 'nested'.) your target will appear to, 'hide' behind that bright green orb on the front of your pistol.

Me? I like a good, dull orange, front blade on my, 'night sights'. I keep waiting for the industry to correctly figure this one out; but, alas, it doesn't look like it's going to be anytime soon.

MrVvrroomm
04-15-2011, 12:12
As stated above, they are a great defensive, quick acquisition pistol sight. They are not for precision shooting. In my opinion, they are not well-suited for any type of competition shooting either, USPSA, IDPA, etc.

I have a set of them on a carry 23 that lives down in Arizona.

texanbo
04-15-2011, 13:27
I have the XS Big Dot sight System on my G23 and couldn't be happier with them. Front sight acquisition couldn't be faster!

cetera
04-15-2011, 13:44
Before you do, look at Ameriglo, front sight GL-212-OR.
It is BIG (like XS) BUT......
It is Orange and at night it glows GREEN.
What a sight and very easy to see in all light conditions.

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/girphoto/Boresight2.jpg
Give Rick at Ameriglo a call 770-390-0554 and he can send them right out to you...

i have these on my 36 and love them

Rob62
04-15-2011, 14:42
I put a set of the XS Big Dot sights on one of my Glocks. If you want a really fast to acquire, and "BIG" front dot night sight then this is it. There's nothing that compares.

Ultimately what makes these sights so good is what turned me off. The Big Dot is just too big for my tastes. If you had to take a precision shot at any range the dot covers too much space on the target. Ultimately, I replaced the big dot with a standard size dot (XS sells one, just for those of us that love the sights but want a smaller size dot).

What I have now is perfect for my wants and needs - the XS 24/7 "standard" size dot, night size.

MrVvrroomm
04-15-2011, 14:51
What I have now is perfect for my wants and needs - the XS 24/7 "standard" size dot, night size.Yup, got a set of these on a carry 19. They can actually be used to sight in a paper plate at 50'.

wtf0ver
04-15-2011, 15:46
just put a set on my 26. havent taken it to the range yet though. i really like that i can acquire my target very fast and with both eyes open

samuse
04-15-2011, 17:17
Big Dots are perfect for those situations where you don't need sights or aren't going to use them anyway.

When you want to actually aim the gun, the Big Dots' deficiencies really start to become apparent.

I tried them for about a year and it was a wasted effort. They suck unless you're damn near blind.

Shadyscott69
04-15-2011, 17:29
I have used them and never really liked them. As said above, only if your are nearly blind are they necessary.

I am now using the Ameriglow URAP sights on my G26. I have truly found NS nirvana. For me they are even faster on target than the Big Dots and they can still be used for precision shooting.

They are only about $60 for a set too. The only down side I have found to the URAPS is that they are only made for Glocks. I would have them on every gun I own if I could. :wavey:

http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/GL213.jpg

TSAX
04-15-2011, 17:31
I have them and love them :wavey:

http://www.xssights.com/sightimages.html

http://www.xssights.com/pix/sightimages.gif

:50cal:

USAglock
04-15-2011, 18:00
Dude Big dots are great. But they are not target sights, if punching tight groups on paper is your thing then look at some other sights.

HK Dan
04-15-2011, 19:21
You'll never shoot a decent group again, and accuracy will be a thing of the past. If the bigselling pointis that you can hit a paper plate at 50 feet--shinola, man, I'm looking for a 1" group at 50 feet in slow fire. I went the opposite way--Warren Tacticals--and trained on the draw. Now the gun is lined up automatically when I pull it and I don't need a softball on my slide to find the sights.

fixer
04-15-2011, 20:23
i tried them on my 26 and found they were hard for me to align well for good elevation controll. windage was not a problem.

then i got a 19 and put Trijicons in that, blacked out the white rings on the rear. promptly sold the 26 and bought two more 19s (hey, i was only looking for one, butthey showed up at the same time, so i got both)

i didn't like the XS sights, but that's just me. other people love 'em.

racer88
04-15-2011, 22:09
I have them on my EDC G27. I like them very much for THAT purpose. It's not supposed to be for drilling tight groups at long range. I see it as a self-defense sight. And, in a SD situation, I imagine I'll do well to focus on the big front sight.

So, another vote for XS Big Dots. Your mileage may vary.

maestro pistolero
04-16-2011, 00:29
You'll never shoot a decent group again, and accuracy will be a thing of the past. If the bigselling pointis that you can hit a paper plate at 50 feet--shinola, man, I'm looking for a 1" group at 50 feet in slow fire. I went the opposite way--Warren Tacticals--and trained on the draw. Now the gun is lined up automatically when I pull it and I don't need a softball on my slide to find the sights.

You are target shooting. These are combat sights. I have them on a 1911 and I was knocking 6" steel plates at 25 yards today at about 1.5 shots per second. For me, that's pretty good. Up close where a gunfight actually happens, there's not much that's faster on a handgun (for me) than XS Big Dots. Maybe a red dot would be faster.

I'm putting them on my new G19. But not my G35. Hey, sometimes I like to have a little precision fun at some distance with targets too.

I can easily put rounds in center mass at 50-75 yards and beyond with XS BD's. And I'm not that good.

Stringbender
04-16-2011, 00:59
I have 'em on my G26 and they rock for SD. I don't do any precision work with this gun so they seem to fit my needs perfectly.....

faawrenchbndr
04-16-2011, 04:36
I have 'em on my G26 and they rock for SD. I don't do any precision work with this gun so they seem to fit my needs perfectly.....

Very well stated.......

ducati
04-16-2011, 05:28
Sorry I have not really seen much advantage to the big dots. Ameri-glo is what I carry. How is it that most class C shooters I see shoot have hits just as fast as big dot shooters and usually more accurate.

stang68
04-16-2011, 05:43
I LOVE MY BIG DOT SIGHTS!!!!!! I have them on my G23 and will put them on every glock I get

Huber
04-16-2011, 07:08
Well this thread has talked me out of them for IDPA

ducati
04-16-2011, 14:31
Funny how people claim they are combat sights, yet in IDPA most people don't use them. Most shots are under 15 yards, and over half are 10 and under. This is where the big dots should excel. Most shed them after 3 or 4 matches. This has been my experience.

samuse
04-16-2011, 17:35
Well this thread has talked me out of them for IDPA

Oh yeah!

Big Dots and IDPA don't go together at all. I've seen a couple guys try to run Big Dots in IDPA and Steel Challenge. They thought "combat accuracy" was good enough:rofl:.

RayB
04-16-2011, 18:42
Here's from my well-received Night Sight Review...

XS Big Dot sights are high quality combat sights, designed for SHTF situations. Place that big white dot on center mass, and if your trigger control is good, you will hit your target, out to 30-feet or better. The night sight picture is pleasing and easily picked up. These are a specialty sight, and many will find them wanting for range use; conversely, others will master them for target use too. More than any sight I know of, people like them or they don't.

--Ray

denn1911
04-21-2011, 19:44
The Big Dots are not great for IDPA. However, if guys are using them on their defensive psitol, they should run a few matches with them. This will give them a realistic understanding of hows they like them, etc. My buddy has the XS Big Dots on his G26, and he regrets it.

1faSStchevy
04-21-2011, 21:29
I put a set on my carry G27 and love them. I'm not always hitting soda cans but I can put a full mag into the chest of the silhouette target with not too many problems. Thats what they are designed for.

gator378
04-24-2011, 13:43

I found them to work as advertised. Very good in low light conditions. I have since moved to a red dot because my eyes are getting old. Have tri-focals and hard to use open sights. They are fast though.

fastbolt
04-24-2011, 14:09
Sights ... and the eyesight of different folks ... can lend itself to all manner of expereicne and opinion.

I've had the early Ashley Big Dot sights on one of my guns for several years. It's a CS45 and the rear sight is a vertical painted stripe without a tritium capsule. Only the front has a tritium capsule.

Yes, they're easy to see. The clean and very reflective white plastic ring in the front sight is easy to see under many conditions. Easy for tired and older eyes.

Yes, they're fast to pick up and align ... presuming you can "set the pumpkin on the post" fast enough compared to other sighting systems.

Yes, they're advertised as being primarily intended for close-range usage, although with practice adjusting the POA/POI (from middle of the dot to the top edge) at longer distances some "precision" shots are still possible. They may generally take longer than when using other sighting systems, though.

I've used quite a respectable number of different sighting systems on handguns over the years, some I liked better, some worse and some evoked indifference.

Fast is good. Accuracy under a wide range of different conditions is something I prefer a bit more, if I must choose.

I will say that while I've found the Big Dot system to be "okay" for me on my little .45 pistol, the smaller XS front night sight & U-notch on my S&W M&P 340 is a MUCH better sight option than the standard ramp/post & square notch. I like it a lot of the little J-frame. I find I can accurately shoot noticeably faster when using my M&P 340 than my other J's.

I think if I were to try another set of such sights on another pistol, I'd opt for the standard size front dot/night sight instead of the Big Dot, though.

You can try it and decide for yourself.

elglocko
04-24-2011, 18:15
I have the big dot on my 27 and works great for me.

BamaTrooper
04-26-2011, 10:28
Funny how people claim they are combat sights, yet in IDPA most people don't use them. Most shots are under 15 yards, and over half are 10 and under. This is where the big dots should excel. Most shed them after 3 or 4 matches. This has been my experience.

A 4" box is a little smaller than an 18x30 target.

CoyoteDrifter
05-06-2011, 20:23
I just changed from XS to I-Dot (yellow rear/green front) on my G27 and now I have the best of both worlds.....fast AND accurate.

1canvas
05-07-2011, 21:26
i have them on my 23, 27 and .357 j-frame, these are my carry guns. like others have said, great for SD but not for punching small groups at longer ranges.

samuse
05-07-2011, 21:37
A 4" box is a little smaller than an 18x30 target.

Alphas on an IDPA target are bigger than 4".

What is the significance of 18X30?

Veedubklown
05-07-2011, 21:44
I just put BigDots on my 26, and shot my first IDPA match with them today. It was horrible. I need more practice with them, but I haven't had much chance for the range lately. I'm hoping to adjust to them, because I really want to like them.

Southpaw69
05-07-2011, 21:58
I have the XS big dots on my G19. I like them for what they are for. No sense knocking them for not being pinpoint accurate, although they aren't as bad as some people are saying once you get used to using them.

passat84
05-08-2011, 01:17
I've had the Trijicon three dot system for some time, they work extremely well, but I wanted something that suited my aligning needs.

I purchased the XS standard dots for my G35 and love em. It took some time to get used to but they work very well for me.

If your in the academy or L.E. you can get a great deal on the XS sight system at Brownells.

inkballedtarget
05-21-2011, 22:37
I have the XS standard dot sights on my G23. So far I am really really pleased with them! As others have said they are not target sights. They are fast acquisition fighting sights that dont take very much brain power to operate effectively.

Cheers

andboom
05-22-2011, 10:47
Have the big dot sights given anyone any trouble with carrying in a holster?

racer88
05-22-2011, 11:31

Not at all. G27 with Big Dots in a Crossbreed Supertuck. No issues at all.

RMD
05-22-2011, 11:35

Nope. G19 & G26 - both worked well in every holster I own (CBST, Fobus, Glock Sport/Combat, Uncle Mike's KYDEX, and Don Hume 721OT).

up1911fan
05-22-2011, 14:35
The Big Dot front sight isn't any bigger than a standard front sight, it's just the dot is the whole sight, instead of a post with a dot on it. The .215" front sight's you have to use with a 10-8 or Warren Tactical rear are bigger than the XS.