Used Dillon 650 ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Used Dillon 650 ?

ALBin517
04-15-2011, 13:15
A guy at work has a Dillon 650 he has never used much. (He shoots a lot but has found he lacks the patience for reloading).
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
I am thinking of getting into 10mm and reloading.
<o:p> </o:p>
So you can see where this is going I might ask if hed be willing to sell his Dillon.
The only thing is, he reloads .45 and 9mm. I would have to get the dies and everything for 10mm.
My concern is that I would buy the 650 from him, do the 10mm change and end up spending more than I would have for a new Dillon.
So my question is: What is my target price? What can I afford to pay for the press so I can buy everything I need for 10mm and still come out ahead?

Tom in Arizona
04-15-2011, 13:44
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
So my question is: What is my target price? What can I afford to pay for the press so I can buy everything I need for 10mm and still come out ahead?
Without seeing what you have there a target price can not be determined. However I would probably offer around half of retail. The Dillon warranty is lifetime of the machine, not the owner and their tech support is very good.

Don't sweat the other two die sets as you will probably pick up pistols for them at some time or you can sell them to recoup your investment and then buy them back in the future.

What I think you should do is call Dillon and ask them how much it would cost to convert to 10mm. That will give you some idea.

However local used prices varry and here in Arizona Dillon products have extra value as they are local and you can bring the equipment and they will go over it for essentially free.

ALBin517
04-15-2011, 14:56
Thanks for the help.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
I have a G34 so I would save the 9mm stuff. But I get quality 9mm reloads from a local connection for dirt cheap so I probably would not reload 9mm myself unless that connection dries up.
I would have little interest in 45ACP dies if I got a 10mm.

Boxerglocker
04-15-2011, 15:03
Thanks for the help.
I have a G34 so I would save the 9mm stuff. But I get quality 9mm reloads from a local connection for dirt cheap so I probably would not reload 9mm myself unless that connection dries up.

How cheap is dirt cheap? if you get the press buy 9mm components in bulk you may find that loading 9mm may actually be a significant savings compared to that connection. I can load FMJ for less than $110 a K you could load that in easily less than 2 one hour sessions. I load about 800 an hour average.

All you need to convert to 40/10mm is the dies and conversion kit your small case feeder plate will work for it.

shotgunred
04-15-2011, 15:10
650 $556.95
650 Casefeeder - 110 Volt $217.95
total new cost 775

Additional things you need to buy
caliber conversion $77
case feed plate $38
dillion refurbishing $50
total 115

775-115=50 =590
So you have to pay $640 just to break even compared to a new machine.
To me the price would have to be a bit lower than that to be a good deal for me. Other wise why not just buy new?

vtducrider
04-15-2011, 15:16
I don't know anyone who shoots a lot, owns a reloading press, and doesn't reload. Wow... Well if you can benefit from it, why not? Dillon stuff holds up their value very well, because they have an awesome product. And the warranty and customer service help too obviously. I think it would be a steal to get it at half of the retail price. I bet he has close to a grand in it if not more.... depending on other accessories of course. I usually see their used stuff for about 80% of retail.

PCJim
04-15-2011, 15:33
Dillon presses typically bring 80%+ of retail. If you can get it for less, you could always flip it and make a little profit, then buy a lesser machine that you feel more suits your needs. :whistling:

Tom in Arizona
04-15-2011, 16:14
A couple of years ago I bought a used 650XL with case feeder in 45ACP from a fellow in Sedona for my son for $200. The ram was rusted and would not move. He took it over to Dillon and they refurbished it for free and only cost him $25 for one small part that was missing (lost, perhaps somewhere when I was hauling it down to Phoenix).

ALBin517
04-15-2011, 17:40
How cheap is dirt cheap? if you get the press buy 9mm components in bulk you may find that loading 9mm may actually be a significant savings compared to that connection. I can load FMJ for less than $110 a K you could load that in easily less than 2 one hour sessions. I load about 800 an hour average.

All you need to convert to 40/10mm is the dies and conversion kit your small case feeder plate will work for it.

I'm getting a K of 115 grain FMJ next week for $130 or so. So I don't think I'd ever bother reloading 9mm if I can keep getting them at that price.

Boxerglocker
04-15-2011, 17:54
I'm getting a K of 115 grain FMJ next week for $130 or so. So I don't think I'd ever bother reloading 9mm if I can keep getting them at that price.

That's a pretty good price but shooting 124g or heavier bullets, tailored to your gun is a whole different experience. At $130 a K for 115g reloads the guys selling them is making very little profit IMHO but that's good you you.

RustyFN
04-15-2011, 17:56

Yes but how accurate are they? I can buy WWB ammo cheap also but it's no where near as accurate as my handloads.

I can load FMJ for less than $110 a K you could load that in easily less than 2 one hour sessions.

I'm loading FMJ for $70 per 1K but not as fast. I don't have a Dillon.

ALBin517
04-15-2011, 18:17
I don't know anyone who shoots a lot, owns a reloading press, and doesn't reload. Wow...

That's kind of a funny story. The guy started stockpiling brass to reload and had a bunch of it. He told a friend of his who reloads a lot and they struck a deal for empty brass in exchange for reloaded 9mm. After that, the incentive to learn reloading was a lot less. Now he's more of a brass hound than a reloader.

ALBin517
04-15-2011, 18:26
Yes but how accurate are they? I can buy WWB ammo cheap also but it's no where near as accurate as my handloads.

I'm loading FMJ for $70 per 1K but not as fast. I don't have a Dillon.

Yeah, I had thought about accuracy. The reloads I buy are probably similar to WWB in that regard. So if I were to start shooting more competitions with the G34 (which is why I bought it) I'd have to address the accuracy issue.

Thanks for pointing it out though.

Tom in Arizona
04-15-2011, 19:49
Yeah, I had thought about accuracy. The reloads I buy are probably similar to WWB in that regard. So if I were to start shooting more competitions with the G34 (which is why I bought it) I'd have to address the accuracy issue.

Thanks for pointing it out though.
When you are buying someone else's ammunition you have no control on the consistancy. If you control the product you can tailor it to your needs and not have to worry if he changed powder or charge weight, bullets or primers midway into the run.

But if all you are after is cheap, perhaps reloading is not the answer. I look upon it as a way to maintain quality control. If you do it yourself you can't place the blame elsewhere. Wait till the bullet casting bug bites.

174spd
04-25-2011, 17:11
Bought a 650 a couple years at an estate sale, best investment I ever made.

mmerrill64
04-25-2011, 17:34
If you get the press from your buddy, I would also recommend getting the spare parts kit when you order your caliber conversion. Sucks to have to wait when changing calibers and loose a spring or dtent ball!
Wife got me one for my bday last year with 3 extra caliber conversions, cover, upgraded aluminum handle, casefeeder, dies, tool set holder, etc. Love my wife and my 650. You won't regret buying a Dillon, and if you are worried about the expense it will eventually pay for itself, reloading once shot brass or range pickups will save @30% in ammo costs!

fredj338
04-25-2011, 20:09
Thanks for the help.

Wow, you shgoot someone elses reloaded ammo?:wow: If it is a complete 650 w/ case feeder, offer him $700 for it. You can sell the 45acp die setup. All you need for the 10mm is a conversion, die set & tool head if the press comes w/ only one.
reloading once shot brass or range pickups will save @30% in ammo costs!
Actually, buy components ins ome kind of bulk, a 50% savings is about the min for any caliber.