Old glocker trying to oil new XD [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Old glocker trying to oil new XD

HeadShrink
04-16-2011, 13:24
I'm a little embarrassed by this question, but I better ask anyway so I don't remain ignorant....

Up until recently, I have only owned a Glock and Kahr. As almost everyone here knows, they are super easy to clean, and it is a wonderful thing they require only a couple drops of oil in strategic places. And BEST of all, because of Glocks Tenifer finish, and the stainless matte on my Kahr, there is no "old school" oil wipe-down of the slide to protect the finish from fingerprints/rust.

I just got a 4" XD45, popped its cherry, and am now ready to clean her. The cleaning, and functional oiling seems pretty basic, and comparable to the Glock and Kahr, BUT because of the difference in the finish on the [black] XD (don't know exactly what it is), I need to know if I am supposed to wipe down the outside of the slide with oil..... The manual was a little vague on this, and could be interpreted to imply this, but youtube video skipped it entirely.

Thanks for the feedback.

DWARREN123
04-17-2011, 02:45
Should not need to but it will not hurt.

HeadShrink
04-17-2011, 14:07
Should not need to but it will not hurt.

Thanks. I ended up just wiping it down with one of those tri-flo cloths.

Do you know what type of finish they use? I have heard it referred to as a bluing, but it strikes me more like a parkerized finish... but I'm no expert.

Electraclyde
04-18-2011, 07:43
Per the SA website, they call it melonite.
Should not need a wipe down but it won't hurt it either.
I do not currently own any XD's

ravenkeeper98
04-18-2011, 10:35
Per the SA website, they call it melonite.
Should not need a wipe down but it won't hurt it either.
I do not currently own any XD's

Correct, Melonite, it is a similar metal treatment like Tenifer, then finished. Treat it just like your Glock, you will be fine.

cciman
04-18-2011, 19:48
Melonite=Tenifer but different trade names.

Treat it like the Glock, except you can't take it apart into its component pieces easily...and since it is uglier, no reason to wipe it down or shine it up.:crying: and its top heavy and has a higher bore axis...

otherwise it's 'just like the Glock".

HeadShrink
04-18-2011, 21:42
Is it of a different quality, or different style of coating (regardless of trade name)? The Glock seems smoother, and more teflon-like than the XD, which to me is a little more matted, rough, and shows oils & grime easier.