Whats a Good Semi Auto for Shooting Reloads? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Whats a Good Semi Auto for Shooting Reloads?

Zack3467
04-16-2011, 17:44
I have herd glocks dont shoot reloads well. So i was wondering what is a good semi auto pistol for shooting reloads. 9mm, .40, .380. I have been collecting all my brass so i wanna reload it and use it. I dont want to shoot reloads out of anything until i know its ok for the gun

unclebob
04-16-2011, 17:51
Don't beleive everything you hear. Will over 100,000+ reloads through Glocks.

WiskyT
04-16-2011, 17:53
Glocks run reloads as well, or better, than any other gun I can think of. The generous chamber of the stock barrel is what allows them to fit even rounds that are a little too big here and there. FWIW, my Beretta 96 has a chamber even looser than my Glocks and will feed rounds my Glock wouldn't.

It's the aftermarket barrels and their tighter chambers that give people grief.

GioaJack
04-16-2011, 18:06
Yup, Glocks shoot reloads but it's a real PITA reloading Greenie Stick'em Caps. Real guns on the other hand have no problem with reloaded bullets. :whistling:

Jack

robin303
04-16-2011, 18:25
I shot 15,000 reloads in my Glocks just last year alone. :dunno:

Tom in Arizona
04-16-2011, 18:30
I have herd glocks dont shoot reloads well. So i was wondering what is a good semi auto pistol for shooting reloads. 9mm, .40, .380. I have been collecting all my brass so i wanna reload it and use it. I dont want to shoot reloads out of anything until i know its ok for the gun
I have used quite a few different brands of pistols and have yet to find one that I could not reload ammunition for, Glocks included!

jolly roger
04-16-2011, 18:39
You can shoot reloads AND hardcast bullets with any reasonable recipe. As a matter of fact my G17 shoots hardcast round nose 125 grain MUCH more accurately than ball ammo. Just clean the barrel good about every 100 rounds or so. Don't believe everything on the net...just this :)

Philippe
04-16-2011, 18:40
They dont like reloads using cast lead, Stick with Jacketed and Plated bullets, you'll be fine.

WiskyT
04-16-2011, 19:38
You can shoot reloads AND hardcast bullets with any reasonable recipe. As a matter of fact my G17 shoots hardcast round nose 125 grain MUCH more accurately than ball ammo. Just clean the barrel good about every 100 rounds or so. Don't believe everything on the net...just this :)

I even shoot soft cast bullets in my Glocks. You might have to tinker a bit with powder and charge, you can't just use a max load of fast powder and expect X ring results, but a little load developement allows me to shoot ammo for the cost of primers and powder alone.

Yo
04-16-2011, 23:31
They dont like reloads using cast lead, Stick with Jacketed and Plated bullets, you'll be fine.

Listen and learn!

Glocks have polygonal barrels that do NOT agree with lead bullets. There is a reason Glock recommends against use of lead bullets.

from wiki: One suggestion of what the "additional factor involved in Glock's warning" might be is that Glock barrels have a fairly sharp transition between the chamber and the rifling, and this area is prone to lead buildup if lead bullets are used. This buildup may result in failures to fully return to battery, allowing the gun to fire with the case not fully supported by the chamber, leading to a potentially dangerous case failure. However, since this sharp transition is found on most autopistols this speculation is of limited value. The sharp transition or "lip" at the front of the chamber is required to "headspace" the cartridge in most autopistols.

DWARREN123
04-17-2011, 02:03
I shoot my reloads thru two Glocks, a G22 and G20SF, never had a problem with my reloads.
I shoot hard cast lead, plated and jacketed bullets and the guns are stock except for night sights and afternarket SS guide rod and 20# springs, my reloads are warm.

BENCH
04-17-2011, 04:48
I agree with shooting reloads. I use plated bullets with no problems.

alwaysshootin
04-17-2011, 05:04
Just about every round through my Glocks have been reloads, and 3/4's of my reloads are hard cast lead. My personal experience has been, if a factory Glock barrel, really bulges the brass of manufactured ammo, it might not be a good choice for reloads, but if everything looks normal after first outing, it's time to work on a reload it shoots well. Good luck!

04-17-2011, 05:51
I don't like to clean barrels any more than the minimal amount. So, I stay away from lead in my stock Glock barrels. The plated Berry bulluts work quite well for me. I have tried the black moly bullets that I use in everything else, but they leave a lot of soft lead in my Glock barrels.

Generally speaking, for every Glock I buy to shoot, I buy an after market barrel. It pays for itself, and I can go several thousand rounds of lead before I feel guilty enough to clean it.

extra two cents:
Wikkipedia is just an online source of information contributed from people just like any forum. It certainly cannot be trusted as a final source of information.

WiskyT
04-17-2011, 07:18
Listen and learn!

Glocks have polygonal barrels that do NOT agree with lead bullets. There is a reason Glock recommends against use of lead bullets.

from wiki: One suggestion of what the "additional factor involved in Glock's warning" might be is that Glock barrels have a fairly sharp transition between the chamber and the rifling, and this area is prone to lead buildup if lead bullets are used. This buildup may result in failures to fully return to battery, allowing the gun to fire with the case not fully supported by the chamber, leading to a potentially dangerous case failure. However, since this sharp transition is found on most autopistols this speculation is of limited value. The sharp transition or "lip" at the front of the chamber is required to "headspace" the cartridge in most autopistols.

:rofl::rofl: .....

BK63
04-17-2011, 07:40
Oh boy! As Jack would say, we are gonna need more bandwidth :supergrin:

Smoker
04-17-2011, 07:42
My glock 32 shoots them just fine..

shotgunred
04-17-2011, 08:13
Lets just get the other big glock myth out there while were at it. Never shoot a glock 40 because it will blow up in your hand.:tongueout:

hoffy
04-17-2011, 08:14
To the OP, if you read a good manual(the Lyman is a good first manual) and use jacketed or plated bullets you should have no problems whatsoever. I have owned many Glocks over the years, and performance with cast bullets has been less than spectacular, and I am a long time bullet caster. Cleaning every 100 rounds is not my idea of fun, I am tight, and prefer to shoot my cast bullets, but that is just too much cleaning, when you can shoot thousands of jacketed literally w/o cleaning. I have had a few Glocks that were more accepting of lead, my G-21 in particular. I removed every last trace of copper with harsh solvent and burnished it with moly paste and it ran ok with cast wheel weights, keeping the velocities within reason. the smaller calibers have proven to me to be much more problematic, I have had 4 G-17s and none shot cast well(unless you are willing to get out the lead remover or lead cleaning cloth every 100 rounds or so) . I have seen a Glock barrel ringed, full of lead and followed by hot jacketed ball, ostensibly to blast the lead out, I believe it stuck the case too(I worked in a gun shop when Glocks hit the shores, we had two gunsmiths and people brought us their problems).

All that said, even buying projectiles, you will be saving money, even with 9mms and reloading is a fun (to me ) hobby and it lessens your dependence on logistical anomalies, such as the last panic. And re wiki, it is what it is, good for a quick reference in plain language, but do not rely on it for anything important. Use it in a college class as a reference and you will get flamed, a proff made a girl cry in a class in grad school when he took her to task for using it.Get a good manual, read up, and have fun...... initial cost do not have to be a bunch and you can expand as you go.....

alwaysshootin
04-17-2011, 08:14
Lets just get the other big glock myth out there while were at it. Never shoot a glock 40 because it will blow up in your hand.:tongueout:

Not a myth, if it's true!:supergrin:

shotgunred
04-17-2011, 08:20
There is a difference bewteen a gun KB an it just being to powerfull for someone to handle,:whistling:

BSA70
04-17-2011, 08:24
My glock w/ LW .40 barrell shots reloads like a charm. Can't see any other gun doing better. 1000+ rounds so far:upeyes:

WiskyT
04-17-2011, 08:35
For all those who say Glocks can't shoot lead, if they spent more time on a little load developement and less time believing internet legends started by a few self appointed experts who supposedly have specialty degrees in 19 types of engineering and failure analysis :upeyes: they would see that Glocks shoot lead very well.

I clean my range guns when the CARBON crud on the extractor etc builds up too much. They don't lead at all. If your gun leads, any gun, it is defective or your load is no good.

This is 25 yards off hand. Ten shots, ignore the tear at the bottom from the staple.

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee460/Wiskyt/PC200010.jpg

chris in va
04-17-2011, 08:46
Reading all the warnings about lead in a Glock, I was all set to get a LWB for my 21SF when I bought it last year. For the heck of it though I went ahead and shot a mag of my 230 LRN through it and was pleasantly surprised to see zero leading.

Another mag, nothing. 10 more mags, checking the bore every few minutes and still no buildup. As a matter of fact my previous Sig 220 with traditional rifling had so much buildup I had to stop and clean the SOB every 10 minutes.

At least in my 21, the Glock rifling acts like a smoothbore compared to other polygonal rifled barrels. The 'hills' are so rounded over and polished nothing sticks to it. My Kahr on the other hand will lead at the mere suggestion of being fired, so I have to limit it to jacketed.

Colorado4Wheel
04-17-2011, 13:06

The Glock is just about the easiest gun to reload for.

WiskyT
04-17-2011, 13:07
Reading all the warnings about lead in a Glock, I was all set to get a LWB for my 21SF when I bought it last year. For the heck of it though I went ahead and shot a mag of my 230 LRN through it and was pleasantly surprised to see zero leading.

Another mag, nothing. 10 more mags, checking the bore every few minutes and still no buildup. As a matter of fact my previous Sig 220 with traditional rifling had so much buildup I had to stop and clean the SOB every 10 minutes.

At least in my 21, the Glock rifling acts like a smoothbore compared to other polygonal rifled barrels. The 'hills' are so rounded over and polished nothing sticks to it. My Kahr on the other hand will lead at the mere suggestion of being fired, so I have to limit it to jacketed.

You didn't grow hair on your palms?

GioaJack
04-17-2011, 18:35
Once again we are honored to be presented with the world class target shot from a distance of three-feet three and three-quarter inches.

What is not depicted in this historic photograph is the blank piece of paper that was taped over it before firing to block the resulting powder stippling.

Official credit goes to WiskyT for photographic creativity.

Jack :whistling:

shotgunred
04-17-2011, 18:45
Les bar, kimber or a Wilson combat anything else just isn't a real gun.

After al every red blooded American male has to own a 1911 and a grand.

BK63
04-17-2011, 18:49
Once again we are honored to be presented with the world class target shot from a distance of three-feet three and three-quarter inches.

What is not depicted in this historic photograph is the blank piece of paper that was taped over it before firing to block the resulting powder stippling.

If thats from a little under 4 feet the Parkinsons is in it's last stages :supergrin:

WiskyT
04-17-2011, 18:52

I can't be rude with any responses. It's against my new religion. But I figure smilies must be approved and glatt kosher:

:pig:

WiskyT
04-17-2011, 18:53
If thats from a little under 4 feet the Parkinsons is in it's last stages :supergrin:

GioaJack
04-17-2011, 20:18
I can't be rude with any responses. It's against my new religion. But I figure smilies must be approved and glatt kosher:

I still detect rudeness toward the old, sick guy. Shame, shame, shame on you. :shame:

Jack

WiskyT
04-18-2011, 14:52
I still detect rudeness toward the old, sick guy. Shame, shame, shame on you. :shame:

Jack

:eric:

JPP
04-19-2011, 07:16
My Glock has never fired factory ammo.

hunter won
04-19-2011, 07:52
I bought a LWD 5.5 inch barrel to shoot 10mm lead.I shoot jacket ammo every 50 rounds to get the lead out.

unclebob
04-19-2011, 09:35
I bought a LWD 5.5 inch barrel to shoot 10mm lead.I shoot jacket ammo every 50 rounds to get the lead out.

Another old myth that that has been proven that shooting jack bullets after lead does not work.

Colorado4Wheel
04-19-2011, 13:34
Pushing lead out with a Jacketed bullet can damage the barrel.

PCJim
04-19-2011, 14:05
He just thinks he's pushing out the lead. He'll realize it when he really needs to remove the lead.

Colorado4Wheel
04-19-2011, 14:16
It does get some of the lead out. I have done it. It will not get all the lead out and it will push some of the lead so hard into the barrel it will be harder to remove. It's a bad idea.

GioaJack
04-19-2011, 14:22
Jim's correct, shooting jacketed after lead won't really damage the barrel, at least not in any practical aspect but what it does is force microscopic particles of lead into the molecular structure of the steel barrel.

Theoretically I suppose this could eventually cause a build up that might raise pressures but I can't even fathom how many rounds that would take... if it is indeed possible.

The practice will however make the cleaning of the barrel and lead removal much, much more difficult.

Although it is not widely known by most shooters jacketed bullets also adhere to the barrel steel long after shooters think their barrel is clean. To prove the point clean your barrel as you normally would using a solvent such as Hoppyies #9 or other common solvent. Your bore will look spotless. Now follow up with patches soaked in a solvent that contains ammonia, such as Sweets 7.62. The patches will come out a bluish/green color, that's the copper reacting to the ammonia. You might be amazed at how long you have to clean the barrel before the patches come out clean.

One caveat, if you use a copper brush or cleaning jag rather than a bronze one the patches will continue to have a blueish/green color. There's always something that screws up a fool proof plan.

(Never leave an ammonia based solvent in a barrel for more than a few minutes and always follow up with a non-ammonia based solvent to neutralize the reaction. It will pit your barrel.)

Jack

shootaglock89
04-19-2011, 14:23
Im sure someone else has already mentioned this, but, get an aftermarket barrel such as the lonewolf and shoot your heart out.

WiskyT
04-19-2011, 15:07
Im sure someone else has already mentioned this, but, get an aftermarket barrel such as the lonewolf and shoot your heart out.

:rofl::upeyes:

unclebob
04-19-2011, 17:45
Never use Sweets and Shooters Choice and the same time either.

dwhite53
04-19-2011, 18:55
My experience has been similar to ChrisInVa. Not only do I get minimal leading, it's a lot easier to clean out than any other gun I've owned, period.

I took the same approach, fire a mag, check the barrel. Had very very minimal leading after 100 rounds. I do clean my barrel after each range session.

All the Best,
D. White