As long as I have a gun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : As long as I have a gun

TSAX
04-17-2011, 15:54
Mas,

I respect your opinion and expertise, this whole lighter trigger thing seems like creating an issue. The thing that gets me is that would a jury actually say that I should have a gun that is harder to shoot and be less accurate to protect myself when there is imminent danger. The focus should be on the criminal not doing the action in the first place that caused me to shot him.

We can what if all day on scenario's like if I go to the IPSC finals and I'm sitting in my hotel room while I am practicing my draws with my race gun and an intruder breaks in or if I am a gunsmith and just built this race gun and a I look out my window and see a man about to stab an old lady and I use my race gun............etc

At the end of the day if thats the only gun I own or have at the moment then its better than no gun.

Am I off base or does what I say seem reasonable?

Thanks

:50cal:

Mas Ayoob
04-17-2011, 16:16
TSA, the issue was created by two things: actual unintended discharges with light triggers, and opposing attorneys who wove defensible, intentional shootings into false accusations of indefensible negligent shootings. The too-light trigger plays into their hands when the latter happens.

The "if all I had was a race gun" argument is up there with "would reloads for defense be a bad idea if I carried a 10.35mm Glisenti and couldn't get factory ammo?" It makes for interesting debate...but nobody carries a 10.35mm Glisenti. Race guns tend to be used by serious shooters who bought them when they got deeper into the game and accumulated more firearms, and who own guns more appropriate for self-defense. Except for a beginning shooter who only owned a .22 target pistol, it's hard to imagine that scenario actually happening.

Thing of it is, it ain't about "OMG, he had a race gun." It's about what has documentably happened in the real world that makes light trigger pulls on self-defense guns a lousy idea. You'll find more discussion on the topic here, and lots more in Carry Issues and on the GT search function.

best,
Mas