suppressor question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : suppressor question

nickod
04-17-2011, 18:04
what is the most quiet suppressor for the ar15 platform on the civilian market today?

Bushflyr
04-17-2011, 19:20
http://silencertests.com/

Mayhem like Me
04-18-2011, 07:32
Depends on many things unless you are shooting subsonic ammo any quality supressor will give you excellent performance, We use the M4 2000 cans and they are very very good.

TSAX
04-18-2011, 07:43
tagged

:50cal:

TimP
04-18-2011, 12:27
All suppressors will work, and make the report quieter.

As someone who has put thousands of rounds downrange with silencers on rifles, here is my take.

Since you are asking in an AR-15 forum I will keep my replies in line with what my experiences with them are.

I have shot the AAC M4-2000, Gemtech Halo, and Thunderbeast arms 223P on various AR-15 rifles from 10.5-24 inch barrels.

The general rule of thumb is the shorter the barrel, the less they "silence" the round going off. When using short barreled guns, especially the AR-15, a sizable amount of the gas is actually sent back out of the ejection port and causes the shooter to hear this gas escaping and feel like the silencer isnt working.

Im longer barreled guns this is less of a problem as there is less gas sent back to the ejection port.

Im a bolt gun, this is not a problem.

So in short, they all work about the same, and the shorter the barrel, the less efficient they are.

Wyoming
04-20-2011, 23:10
tagged. I have a Gemtech Halo that I'm very pleased with but I have on other brand to compare it with.

(I'm sure some one will come up with data or an opinion that it is junk but it works for me.)

MCKNBRD
04-22-2011, 17:00
Just had a guy in the store yesterday that works as a State Department-certified Bodyguard, and he said his company uses the Surefires exclusively. They have the least POI shift (typically less than 1" at 50yds on the 5.56 platforms, from what he said) and are the most durable that he's used, either as a bodyguard or on active duty.

Just more info...and to help keep track of the thread...

Byrdman

Bushflyr
04-22-2011, 19:43
Be careful what you hear from gunshop commandos. And internet commando's for that matter. ;) There was a long thread about Surefire's claims a while back. I don't recall where I saw it, I just saved this pic.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/bushflyr/Guns/19m9l0.jpg

Wyoming
04-22-2011, 20:09
Just had a guy in the store yesterday that works as a State Department-certified Bodyguard, and he said his company uses the Surefires exclusively. They have the least POI shift (typically less than 1" at 50yds on the 5.56 platforms, from what he said) and are the most durable that he's used, either as a bodyguard or on active duty.

Just more info...and to help keep track of the thread...

Byrdman

Just what is a "State Department-certified Bodyguard?

I'm sure Surefire makes good stuff but "exclusively" may just mean they were the lowest bidder.

Also it is what some other guy said. I own a Gemtech. It works but it is not like I had several to pick from. It is what my dealer carries. We used it on full autos and they got very hot! One was a very short 8" H&K and the brass cames out very sooted but it worked.

Gemtech comes with a life time warrenty and the company been around a long time so I bought one and I'm very happy. I order two more Gemtech (one in 22 LR and the other in .30 cal).

The OP wants to know what AR suppresor is the most quiet. I'm GUESSING that they all do very well and there is not much PRACTICAL difference in dB. My reasoning is that this market is a small community if if you tried to make cheap junk and sell it you wouldn't in business very long.

jpa
04-23-2011, 05:53
I have a Gemtech G5 and it works pretty well on my M4gery with a 14.5" barrel. I just ordered a Gemtech Trek-T for the GemTax promo so we'll see how that holds up in about 90-120 days. :)

Wyoming
04-23-2011, 09:15
I have a Gemtech G5 and it works pretty well on my M4gery with a 14.5" barrel. I just ordered a Gemtech Trek-T for the GemTax promo so we'll see how that holds up in about 90-120 days. :)

Nickod,

That is two Gemtech OWNERS that are happy.

Are there any other brand AR happy suppersor owners out there?

nickod
04-23-2011, 11:23
A friend of mine just bought a gemtech halo. I will get to hear it soon. Is it called the halo? I'm not sure. Iether way he just bought two supressors, the words gemtech and halo were mentioned.

W.E.G.
04-23-2011, 11:36
The differences in "quietness" of .223 suppressors are highly subjective unless you can test them side-by-side under controlled conditions.

Otherwise, they ALL sound like an un-supressed .22 magnum.

They also barf LOTS of gas/smoke back in your face.
The "Gasbuster" charging handle improves this problem by only about 10%.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/AR-15/suppressorsilencergasface.jpg

Eurodriver
04-23-2011, 13:22
Not to hijack, but does anyone know if the HALO will fit the BCM A2X FH?

Wyoming
04-23-2011, 13:51
Not to hijack, but does anyone know if the HALO will fit the BCM A2X FH?

Not exactly sure what a BCM A2X FH is but my in fit over any bird cage A2 flash hider if it is

1) square with the bore (7/32 drill rod can be used as a gage). If a split lock ring washer is used it need to be change out for a crushed fit washer. If it does not index correctly you can use spacer form Gemtech or Brownell.

2) the back of the flash hider area is smaller than the slot on the adapter. It will not fit on SIG because they flared the barrel at the end. It will not fix on the AR180 until I change out the hex head locking nut with something smaller OD. If I decided to do that I would change out the three prong to a A2 flasher hider.

Nutt51
04-23-2011, 14:03
BCM A2X hider is just a slightly extended A2 hider.
They use it on their 14.5" barrels to make them
a legal 16.1" to be BATF legal.

Wyoming
04-23-2011, 15:52
BCM A2X hider is just a slightly extended A2 hider.
They use it on their 14.5" barrels to make them
a legal 16.1" to be BATF legal.

Then you are SOL with something like I have.

MCKNBRD
04-23-2011, 21:04
Just what is a "State Department-certified Bodyguard?

From what I gathered, they're 'authorized' to carry and use just about anything, just about anywhere domestically or overseas. I haven't done any research to try to investigate his claims, but I've spoken with him many times and help fix a couple of problems with the sights on his Glock (aftermarket Tru-Glos that were abused) and don't get the 'mall-ninja' vibe from him. Heck, he's older than I am and retired from the Army.

Not having a ton of suppressor experience myself, I try to glean what info I can from those that do have some experience with them. Just trying to pass it along.

Byrdman

KalashniKEV
04-24-2011, 11:47
From what I gathered, they're 'authorized' to carry and use just about anything, just about anywhere domestically or overseas.

I think you gathered too much...

http://blogs.amctv.com/movie-blog/steven-seagal-exec-decision.jpg

KalashniKEV
04-24-2011, 11:49
Suppressor dBs vary from can to can at different altitudes, temps, humidity, ammo, host.

LA_357SIG
04-25-2011, 02:51
I went with AAC because of the welded core and the 51T mounts. I only shot it once on a SIG556 while the Form 4 clears (and it is a .308 can) and it did take toe "boom" out and left a hiss. Kind of like an air gun. 5.56 is hard to suppress even with a 5.56 can using supersonic ammo. As long as you are not expecting Hollywood quiet, any one will probably do just fine. Not too many people can tell the difference if one silencer is quieter than another. In general, the longer or fatter the can the better the suppression. The trade off is weight and durability of materials used. NO suppressor is going to be the end all perfect one.

r2kba
04-25-2011, 10:16
I went with GEMTECH more than 10 years ago because they have been around for years and they back their gear. I was exposed to their products by a person who also had been with them for years and I like what I observed. Most top CAN mfg's are all within a few Decibels which is not discernible to the ear. I have always had great interaction with GEMTECH and will likely stay with them. They also have what I'm looking for in can design and price associated.

With that said, the OTHER guys are great mfg's too. Just be careful with "cheap" backyard can MFGs as the likely hood they are gone in 5 years is high.

TimP
04-25-2011, 14:47
Suppressor dBs vary from can to can at different altitudes, temps, humidity, ammo, host.

You are exactly correct :)

I have AAC m4-2000 and AAC 762-SD

if I take my m4-2k and put it on a 24-inch ar-15, and take a gemtech halo and put it on a 10.5 LMT, the shorter barrel will be MUCH MUCH louder than the other.

Or if I take the m4-2k and put it on a 10.5 with a noveske switchblock on it and a 9mm buffer, and then on a 10.5 LMT with a carbine buffer.... the 1st upper will be MUCH MUCH quieter.

Basically it all boils down to this. Any silencer from a reputable company ( AAC, Gemtech, Surefire, Ops, Silencerco etc etc ), will be much better than not using one, and it will be quieter to boot.

KalashniKEV
04-26-2011, 17:00
You are exactly correct :)

I know.

Now I'll confuse him even more- dBs are not the best way to compare cans.

The sound signature that is produced by the can will tell you which is quieter.

You will tell me a can with MORE dBs is quieter than one with less if the sound is lower in tone and longer in duration than a QUIETER sound that is short and high.

TimP
04-27-2011, 08:51
you got it

Thorazine
04-27-2011, 10:07
I think you gathered too much...

It's probably G4 classified information. :supergrin:

Wyoming
04-27-2011, 19:01
I just got an email from my dealer that my Gemtech .22 is on its way and my .308 should be sometime in May!

MariettaMike
04-28-2011, 07:50
At the beginning of the month I did some research on suppressors. I came to the conclusion that they are all pretty close to the same on sound reduction so the decision became based more on price, mounting method, POI effect and availability.

I read somewhere that someone had a problem replacing a $2 spring on an AAC and had to go through all the BATFE paperwork again to get it repaired so I bagged that manufacturer.

I liked the combination quick connect feature of the SureFire and and the internet commandos claim it has the least POI effects.

The real decision maker was that when I started calling around Atlanta I found only one store that actually had a 5.56 can in stock. It was a SureFire.

It now has my name on it and I am waiting on the stamp.

Mayhem like Me
05-07-2011, 15:21
AAC is made right up the road and I was not as impressed with the quality of the surefire welds, the spring story is bunk just a simple transfer back to the manufacturer to fix or ,,,since you are 40 minutes away you can drive over to AAC meet the designers and get it looked at. Good luck with the surefire they seem to work well with M4 systems