Time For Another Call to Dillon Customer Service [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Time For Another Call to Dillon Customer Service

cole
04-17-2011, 23:50
Update: The old style handle on my second SDB press broke clean off last week. The same handle failure occured with my other Dillon SDB (see original post below). When removing the handle it was also apparent the old style white plastic link arm bushings where worn (they did not fit so tight in the link arms). As always, Dillon's customer service rocks and my press is back up and running. As noted below, the new style handle is much more robust and, combined with the new style brass link arm bushings and new style link arms with larger holes to fit the new style brass bushings, really tightened up the press function overall and has reduced OAL variance.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-shKryvk2i8M/T1BnFTVeYmI/AAAAAAAAFXQ/Qewf7jM8MVQ/s480/Dillon%2520SDB%2520%2528Small%2529.jpg

The Twins (new style handles)
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-pGADLg5lO3Y/T1Btp1aXk5I/AAAAAAAAFXY/bwdj-QrKXfk/s480/SDBs%2520Upgraded%2520%2528Small%2529.jpg

+++Original message+++

My very old model, little SDB workhorse cracked the link arm today. I have two older Dillon SDBs and can't recall when this one went .45acp-only, but I think it's well north of 20k rounds. Good thing I have a second SDB; I just swapped the link arm from my 9mm SDB and kept cranking.

I've had some other load-bearing-part breakages on this this press (see below), and some other smaller parts go as well. Most parts that have broken were updated/redesigned to be more robust.

The Dillon "No BS" warranty and Dillon's customer service rock so I have no worries. I'll likely have the new part by week end, too! A big reason why I drink the blue kool-aid.

SDB owners: What's your story? Please see poll and share.

Link Arm Cracked:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_4xrAuaGHkLI/TavLCsr9ReI/AAAAAAAAEm4/aorec83yKLM/s800/SDB%20Link%20Arm%20Cracked.jpg

Handle Cracked:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_4xrAuaGHkLI/TL5urLq8BwI/AAAAAAAAD9g/4dHqffyohqU/s512/Dillon%20SDB%20Handle%20Crack009%20%28Small%29.jpg

Frame Foot Cracked:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_4xrAuaGHkLI/TL5vd4sZ5nI/AAAAAAAAD94/STofdqXu9P4/s720/Dillon%20SBD%20cracked007%20%28Large%29.JPG

The Twins (old pic, with old style handles):
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_4xrAuaGHkLI/TL5vclD0bZI/AAAAAAAAD9w/svPaoWvU1Xs/Dillon%20SDBs%20%282%29%20%28Small%29.JPG

jmorris
04-18-2011, 06:02
I have two SD's that my brother and I went in half and half many years ago (the "B" didn't exist for some time). The only thing we ever broke was the primer catch tray holders I made a set out of steel some years back and the problem stopped. I have sent both back over the years for the free rebuilds and have noticed they had changed out parts. The link arms have been swapped, the old ones used plastic bushings and the new ones are brass. The little plastic guide for the primer arm is different and all of the failsafe powder measure stuff that came with the B model.

Boxerglocker
04-18-2011, 12:48
Cast aluminum parts are subject to working forces. Loading at you pictures the points where they did give way are classic. In addition minor imperfections like dents or scratches under the paint finish will concentrate the forces. The breakages are definiately where I would expect them to give way know how the press is mounted/works.
Cole I don't recall if you lube with HOS or not. Doing so will defiately reduce the stresses on your press and yourself. I would recommend it highly.

Colorado4Wheel
04-18-2011, 13:18
I thought they redesigned the base and the links on newer presses? Is that true? And are yours the old kind?

Boxerglocker
04-18-2011, 13:28
I thought they redesigned the base and the links on newer presses? Is that true? And are yours the old kind?

They have, the last one I sold was a redesigned one. Web reinforced frame spine, and bigger brass bushing for the pivots.

cole
04-18-2011, 13:44

Mine is old style. It now has the newer frame foot and handle because those broke and were replaced with updated parts. Now, if the links and bushings are updated it will have those too. Powder drop still uses springs for return.

Both work great, so I keep uses things until they break. Dillon's "no BS" warranty and that I have two SBDs (meaning no "down time" if one breaks) makes being proactive moot IMO.

cole
04-18-2011, 13:46
... I don't recall if you lube with HOS or not. Doing so will defiately reduce the stresses on your press and yourself. I would recommend it highly.

I use bicycle grease for the link arm bushings.

Boxerglocker
04-18-2011, 13:50
I use bicycle grease for the link arm bushings.

I meant on your brass...

cole
04-18-2011, 13:51
I have two SD's that my brother and I went in half and half many years ago (the "B" didn't exist for some time). The only thing we ever broke was the primer catch tray holders I made a set out of steel some years back and the problem stopped. I have sent both back over the years for the free rebuilds and have noticed they had changed out parts. The link arms have been swapped, the old ones used plastic bushings and the new ones are brass. The little plastic guide for the primer arm is different and all of the failsafe powder measure stuff that came with the B model.

I broke that one. It was my fault. The cup caught on my C-clamp and snapped off. Dillon send me a replacement. They don't use the hanging basket design for spent primers any more. Before the part arrived I bolted rubber tubing to the spent primer shoot and put my trashcan under it. Worked fine (see press on the right). I've never installed the new spent primer cup. My fix works fine.

cole
04-18-2011, 13:52
I meant on your brass...

Ohh. No. I hear it helps. I just don't bother.

bush pilot
04-18-2011, 15:15
Just pack it up and ship it back, it must be time for a refurb anyway.

kostnerave
04-19-2011, 22:12
Have had both the cracked link and handle. While talking with Dillon I asked if these were common and he replied not common but does happen. Have two SD and get parts every few year mostly small springs.

jmorris
04-20-2011, 06:52
I don't see any reason to cost a company extra just because they offer excellent customer service. I use my SD's as portable presses to work up loads often and that makes the old primer holders have a rather short life. Here are the replacement ones I have thrown together.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/primercup/sdprime.jpg

cole
04-22-2011, 01:25
New link arms and brass bushings arrived. Yes, the new bushings are brass. And, they feel much more solid installed on the press. So, both my SDBs are up-n-runnin' again. Dillon rocks!

cole
04-22-2011, 19:13
I don't see any reason to cost a company extra just because they offer excellent customer service. I use my SD's as portable presses to work up loads often and that makes the old primer holders have a rather short life. Here are the replacement ones I have thrown together.

Those are excellent. Nice work. Any ideas without a welder?

FYI: Dillon has totally redesigned the spent primer system. It no longer hangs like it once did. It's a MUCH better method. One of my presses has it, the other works fine with my tube contraption.

cole
03-02-2012, 00:00
Bump with update on my latest great Dillon customer service experience.