Using diffrent primers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Using diffrent primers

Jeffbat83
04-18-2011, 02:48
Is it really necessary to start a load from scratch when trying out a different primer. After a few weeks I have found one load that I really like(.45 gap 200gr copper plated RN with 5 grains of W231 using WSP), found a good deal on some CCI 500s. The load I use is more on the low-med end, but I'm still fairly new to this, don't want to take any chances.

Thanks in advance.

Joshua M. Smith
04-18-2011, 03:21
As long as they're not magnum primers, you should be OK. I personally will do it at times as long as I'm not at a max load.

That said, you assume all risk, liability, etc etc for anything you try.

Josh

shotgunred
04-18-2011, 04:56
No its not necessary to start a load from scratch when trying out a different primer. I don't have a problem with switching primer brands unless I am running the high end of the pressure curve with a given load. I use magnum primers all the time. Never had a problem with them.

vafish
04-18-2011, 05:13
Changing brands of primer can make a huge difference in pressure spikes.

But it should only be a safety issue if you are running near max loads. Any time you are running near max loads and change any components in your recipie the safe thing to do is stop down 10% and work your way back up.

Changing primer may effect your accuracy and you may have to work up a new load with the new primer.

FLSlim
04-18-2011, 07:09
No its not necessary to start a load from scratch when trying out a different primer. I don't have a problem with switching primer brands unless I am running the high end of the pressure curve with a given load. I use magnum primers all the time. Never had a problem with them.

Same here and I normally don't load to max. Not too long ago, I used whatever was available and, most recently, I jumped from Fed to Wolf because the sale price was impossible to pass up.

PCJim
04-18-2011, 10:25
You're ok. As stated above, as long as you are not at or near max, and are substituting same type primers, you are ok.

If you were substituting SRP for SPP, or SMPP for SPP, then the advice would be to back down and rework the load.

cole
04-18-2011, 11:39
Not if you load mid-range. I swap whenever I find a better deal and change nothing. I swap SPPM and SPP, too. Again, has never mattered. Max loads, especially with an uber-fast powder, I'd back things down some first.

Boxerglocker
04-18-2011, 12:52
Not if you load mid-range. I swap whenever I find a better deal and change nothing. I swap SPPM and SPP, too. Again, has never mattered. Max loads, especially with an uber-fast powder, I'd back things down some first.

:agree: here is you answer.

Kwesi
04-18-2011, 14:03
Just to sure I understand. I just worked up a new load that worked very well, actually the best grouping I can remember having in a long time:

10mm
800-X
180gr PD FMJ
8.8gr ( all hand weighed 8.6 - 8.8 )
Starline brass
Wolf LPP
Wolf 24# spring
G21

I happened to have the Wolf open on the bench so I used them. This is I believe at or near max so are you guys saying if I swithch to Win LPP or CCI LPP's I need to back it down? I've never switched to magnum's. The spent primers looked fine but I honestly don't know what to look for for over pressure other than the ring around the primer becoming non-existant.

shotgunred
04-18-2011, 14:17
If you are not near max then it is no big deal. As you are near max it is just safer to back down a little and work it back up. You don't want to get the straw that broke the camel's back.

Kwesi
04-18-2011, 15:05
If you are not near max then it is no big deal. As you are near max it is just safer to back down a little and work it back up. You don't want to get the straw that broke the camel's back.

Thanks! Until reading this thread I had no idea that their was a potential problem switching primer brands near max.