Hi Point 9mm with Super hot reloads and a barrel obstruction [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hi Point 9mm with Super hot reloads and a barrel obstruction

DoctaGlockta
04-18-2011, 20:56
Ran across these fellows torturing a hi point 9mm with some super hot reloads and then a barrel obstruction.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xmt5QB814Tw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="640"></iframe>

Interesting results to say the least.

Enjoy and obliviously don't attempt at home.

XDRoX
04-18-2011, 21:07
Good video. Th funny thing is Hi Point will probably send them a new barrel. They're really good about warranties.

I've been meaning to pick one up. I can't believe the 8.5gr of BE didn't kaboom it.

HotRoderX
04-18-2011, 21:54
For all the smack talk they get they seem to be sturdy guns.

AZson
04-18-2011, 22:13
I am surprised how good a gun it is. I may buy a .45 ACP one.

EL_NinO619
04-19-2011, 04:24
What the hell, a bolt did not cause a KB??

DoctaGlockta
04-19-2011, 04:50

I'm not sure it even blew the magazine out. These guys did eventually blow this gun up but it took extraordinary measures.

First they got that pistol functioning again

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p_HXtEvjlGg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="640"></iframe>

Then the ultimate test

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LKkQm5TRaWE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jmorris
04-19-2011, 05:57
Proof positive that Crack doesn't smoke itself...

Foxtrotx1
04-19-2011, 06:04
Suddenly the idea that an HK is less durable than a high point seems plausible.

HotRoderX
04-19-2011, 07:02
I wanna see a Glock Vs Hi-Point Torture test. I really really wonder if the Glock is as Kaboom durable as the Hi-Point is.

ryanm
04-19-2011, 11:08
I like the Hi-Point 9mm. It's actually an okay-shooting target gun... and I don't care too much if I destroy it. I test my new reloads in it first. Then in the G17.

I kinda like the sights it came with, even.

DoctaGlockta
04-19-2011, 12:51
I like the Hi-Point 9mm. It's actually an okay-shooting target gun... and I don't care too much if I destroy it. I test my new reloads in it first. Then in the G17.

I just ordered one in 9mm and 45acp.

Does this get me my CRB card now?

dbarry
04-19-2011, 16:11
uncle Phil, you gonna share the low points of your hi-point test? :O)

WiskyT
04-19-2011, 16:18

Nope. It kinda puts the big kybosh on the whole "squib made my gun blow up" thing. It puts an even bigger poop on the whole "lead built up in my bore and made my gun blow up" thing.

A blocked pistol barrel won't blow up any well made gun. Ruger demonstrated this when it introdued the P89. They threaded a bolt down the barrel and fired it, no damage. Then they proceeded to repeat the test with progressively larger pieces of slide cut away. It took a while and the slide was almost a skeleton before the gun "KB'd" by cracking the slide. It was not a catostrophic failure either. The slide just cracked and bent a little.

fredj338
04-19-2011, 18:13
SO it's a sturdy POS? I'm sure the blowback design has something to do with it staying together. If you just want a gun to go bang, a HiPoint is certainly an option. I have better things to spend my money on though.:upeyes:

Fritzer
04-19-2011, 18:20
Huh, Put me in the I'm amazed category too.
Anybody know where a Hi Point falls in the "case head support" or lack of?

I did note that the hi point is a blow back design. Maybe that has something to do with the pressure relief, compared to a locked breach.

And see the way they got it to blow was to put the C-clamp across the barrel to slide, really locking the breach. In the other over pressure tests, the slide was going back so violently that it flew out of a metal vise.
:wow:

GioaJack
04-19-2011, 18:22
Anyone who has ever worked in a gun shop or been in the game before semi's became so popular has seen more than one revolver with two, three and even four bullets lodged in the barrel. Normally the only resulting damage ended up being a ringed, (bulged) barrel.

I'm not sure what goes through some people's mind. If the second bullet didn't dislodge the first bullet what makes them think the third or forth will?

Jack

albyihat
04-19-2011, 22:14
Anyone who has ever worked in a gun shop or been in the game before semi's became so popular has seen more than one revolver with two, three and even four bullets lodged in the barrel. Normally the only resulting damage ended up being a ringed, (bulged) barrel.

I'm not sure what goes through some people's mind. If the second bullet didn't dislodge the first bullet what makes them think the third or forth will?

Jack

Nobody likes a quitter.

DoctaGlockta
04-20-2011, 06:48
SO it's a sturdy POS? I'm sure the blowback design has something to do with it staying together. If you just want a gun to go bang, a HiPoint is certainly an option. I have better things to spend my money on though.:upeyes:

What has been your experience with them Fred? I know they have a lot of haters. The more I look into them the more I see folks who have one don't really think they deserve all the Scheisse that gets thrown at them. They are made in the USA and they have a no questions asked warranty. They look fugly but some think the same of Glocks.

ricklee4570
04-20-2011, 07:08
Awesome videos! I couldnt stop laughing.

fredj338
04-20-2011, 08:39
What has been your experience with them Fred? I know they have a lot of haters. The more I look into them the more I see folks who have one don't really think they deserve all the Scheisse that gets thrown at them. They are made in the USA and they have a no questions asked warranty. They look fugly but some think the same of Glocks.
I got to handle & shoot an early model at the range once. Someone had one, couldn't hit much with it, so I asked to shoot it. I couldn't do much better. Yep, hell for stout, cheap, built like a tank & useful for a bludgeon if you run dry. Heavy, bulky, poor trigger, poor accuracy, handles like a brick. I just don't see the point. SOme guys are into cheap tools, cars, cloths, whatever floats your boat, I would rather buy a used Glock or cheap Ruger for about the same money.:dunno:

XDRoX
04-20-2011, 09:03
Nobody likes a quitter.

:rofl:

misfit356tsw
04-20-2011, 20:05

Wow, a person who thinks the exact same way I do. I use mine to test reloads and then onto the 17 and 17L. I second liking the sights.

I got one of the earliest models and can attest to the lack of initial reliability. Sent it into Hi-Point and it came back and doesn't hiccup on anything. The only other issue that you can have with a Hi-Point is with a bent firing pin. The firing pin is involved with ejecting the spent casing. I called Hi-Point said I had a bent firing pin. They asked me about the action and sent me all new springs and firing pin. Their customer service is excellent.

fredj338
04-21-2011, 01:40
Wow, a person who thinks the exact same way I do. I use mine to test reloads and then onto the 17 and 17L. I second liking the sights.
Funny, I use my G17 to test handloads in.:rofl:

skeeter7
04-21-2011, 04:18
I love the reaction to the gun blowing up at about 3:30 into the 3rd video. The way they were screaming about it instantly reminded me of the South Park episode where the guys kept yelling "They took our jobs!" Hahahahaha! Here it is if you don't know what i'm talking about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijEnKY3Eyvo

misfit356tsw
04-21-2011, 11:41
Deleted

misfit356tsw
04-21-2011, 12:04
I got to handle & shoot an early model at the range once. Someone had one, couldn't hit much with it, so I asked to shoot it. I couldn't do much better. Yep, hell for stout, cheap, built like a tank & useful for a bludgeon if you run dry. Heavy, bulky, poor trigger, poor accuracy, handles like a brick. I just don't see the point. SOme guys are into cheap tools, cars, cloths, whatever floats your boat, I would rather buy a used Glock or cheap Ruger for about the same money.:dunno:

The funny thing about your arguments against the Hi-Point are the exact arguments we 1911 owners made about the Glock when they first came out. They were viewed as cheap, ugly, plastic pieces of crap that did not belong in competition. Their triggers take a little getting used to and they don't have the balance of a fine 1911. Fortunately I was able to get over myself and accept that Glock was here to stay. And despite the fact that they are an ugly plastic pistol, they are durable, functional, and fairly accurate.

You may look down your nose at people who own Hi-Points. That is fine with me, because believe it or not I am not here to impress you. Have a good day.:wavey:

fredj338
04-21-2011, 13:14
The funny thing about your arguments against the Hi-Point are the exact arguments we 1911 owners made about the Glock when they first came out. They were viewed as cheap, ugly, plastic pieces of crap that did not belong in competition. Their triggers take a little getting used to and they don't have the balance of a fine 1911. Fortunately I was able to get over myself and accept that Glock was here to stay. And despite the fact that they are an ugly plastic pistol, they are durable, functional, and fairly accurate.

You may look down your nose at people who own Hi-Points. That is fine with me, because believe it or not I am not here to impress you. Have a good day.:wavey:

Hey, I don't look down my nose at anyone. If you feel inadequate, that is on you my friend. I don't like cheap crap; guns, tools, reloading gear. You may certainly use what you like. I prefer an accurate, reliable firearm, one that serves my purpose. If your purprose is to make noise at the range, hey, a HiPt may be just what you need, but not for me. My opinion, free country.:yawn:

misfit356tsw
04-21-2011, 13:39
Hey, I don't look down my nose at anyone. If you feel inadequate, that is on you my friend. I don't like cheap crap; guns, tools, reloading gear. You may certainly use what you like. I prefer an accurate, reliable firearm, one that serves my purpose. If your purprose is to make noise at the range, hey, a HiPt may be just what you need, but not for me. My opinion, free country.:yawn:

Yeah, I have a habit of standing up for alot of gun brands on this forum. I haven't owned a gun I didn't learn to like. Ruger semis are often ridiculed on Glocktalk, love my P90. S&W M&Ps are often maligned on Glocktalk, mine seems great. 1911s are Browning's gift to man and are hated by alot of Glockers, I have had good experience with all 1911s. I need to remember that I am on a Glock forum and therefor need to realize that there are alot of zombies running around here chanting, "PERFECTION PERFECTION....". It is just disheartening.:upeyes:

Colorado4Wheel
04-21-2011, 13:53
There is Ugly and then there is

UGLY.

Safe to say the High Point falls in the later category. It is nice to know they actually work and are pretty darn safe it appears. It's about as simple of a gun as you can get. Straight blow back, big arsse pistol.

Cavalry Doc
04-21-2011, 14:08
Looks like they are good enough not to stand still in front of when being fired.

Most Guns are a compromise. If accuracy and lethality are the only criteria, and money is no object, I'd take something in a 120mm smooth bore. But Tanks are big on gas, so that's out. Can't find a comfortable and effective concealment holster for my mossberg 500 when wearing jeans and short sleaves, so that's out.

Their carbines shoot relatively accurately, at least enough to get one for my daughter away in College.

Cavalry Doc
04-21-2011, 14:10
There is Ugly and then there is

UGLY.

Safe to say the High Point falls in the later category. It is nice to know they actually work and are pretty darn safe it appears. It's about as simple of a gun as you can get. Straight blow back, big arsse pistol.

A-10's are ugly too, but they work.

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/a-10/images/a10_3s.jpg

fredj338
04-21-2011, 16:02
Yeah, I have a habit of standing up for alot of gun brands on this forum. I haven't owned a gun I didn't learn to like. Ruger semis are often ridiculed on Glocktalk, love my P90. S&W M&Ps are often maligned on Glocktalk, mine seems great. 1911s are Browning's gift to man and are hated by alot of Glockers, I have had good experience with all 1911s. I need to remember that I am on a Glock forum and therefor need to realize that there are alot of zombies running around here chanting, "PERFECTION PERFECTION....". It is just disheartening.:upeyes:

I am with you on the 1911 platform, many that hack on them don't own one or own a cheap one. The HiPt though, if all one can say is it goes bang & you can't blow it up, well, I guess that counts for something. For the size of the HiPt, I could pack a full size G21, it won't KB either, as long as you don't shove a bolt down the bbl.:rofl:

BruBaker 44
04-21-2011, 16:33
It is what it is and that is a $130 gun. I will save my money and buy somethingelse.

dbarry
04-21-2011, 18:02
It is what it is and that is a $130 gun. I will save my money and buy somethingelse.

Wyatt... how the hell r ya! I agree... save the $$ and buy a better gun....

DoctaGlockta
04-23-2011, 06:43
Looks like they are good enough not to stand still in front of when being fired.

Most Guns are a compromise. If accuracy and lethality are the only criteria, and money is no object, I'd take something in a 120mm smooth bore. But Tanks are big on gas, so that's out. Can't find a comfortable and effective concealment holster for my mossberg 500 when wearing jeans and short sleaves, so that's out.

Their carbines shoot relatively accurately, at least enough to get one for my daughter away in College.

Doc which model did you get? What has been your experience with it? They look like they could be a lot of fun for the $.

WiskyT
04-23-2011, 07:50
Doc which model did you get? What has been your experience with it? They look like they could be a lot of fun for the $.

Keep in mind, they make carbine models. That is their real appeal IMO.

itstime
04-23-2011, 08:04
I have two of them and they go bang everytime. All I wanted them to do. I had extra money and bought them to test only.

DoctaGlockta
04-23-2011, 09:33
Keep in mind, they make carbine models. That is their real appeal IMO.

I placed and order this week for the carbine in 9 and 45acp. They are only about $240 a piece. Have a hard time believing a company can make a decent firearm for that price and stay in business. We shall see. Hopefully I can get some of Fred's pet loads for them :whistling:

misfit356tsw
04-24-2011, 09:25
I placed and order this week for the carbine in 9 and 45acp. They are only about $240 a piece. Have a hard time believing a company can make a decent firearm for that price and stay in business. We shall see. Hopefully I can get some of Fred's pet loads for them :whistling:

Let me know how the carbines function, I am intrigued.