Analysis Paralysis (9mm, 223, and 308 loads) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Analysis Paralysis (9mm, 223, and 308 loads)

SilentVectorX
04-18-2011, 21:41
Long story short, I can't decide what 9mm bullets to order for my first batch of reloads for my Gen4 G17.

PrecisionBullets with the hard moly coat might or might not lead my barrel based on manufacturing tolerances. Xtreme has the best price on plated, but I haven't heard much about them, Berry and Rainer being more popular. There's also Montana Gold and Precision Delta, but I'd have to buy a couple thousand to make it cost effective.

Of course I'm overthinking this, because if I can get decent groups with pretty much any factory FMJ load, I shouldn't be worried about having 1-2k of whatever bullet lying around.

Boxerglocker
04-18-2011, 21:50
Stick with FMJ or even plated (just don't push too hard).

Precision Delta is shipping 124g FMJ this week so be quick to get your order in. At $79 a K shipped it's a good deal.

cole
04-18-2011, 23:55
Starting out, I'd go FMJ. Precision Delta has the deals. Buy big.

I run 124gr Berry's FP right now, mostly over Unique and some were over TG. They run great. Ran lots of 124gr PD FMJ over mostly TG. They ran great, too.

I've run lead 9mm in KKM and LWD barrels. IMO, more trouble that it was worth.

Colorado4Wheel
04-19-2011, 13:32
Long story short, I can't decide what 9mm bullets to order for my first batch of reloads for my Gen4 G17.

PrecisionBullets with the hard moly coat might or might not lead my barrel based on manufacturing tolerances. Xtreme has the best price on plated, but I haven't heard much about them, Berry and Rainer being more popular. There's also Montana Gold and Precision Delta, but I'd have to buy a couple thousand to make it cost effective.

Of course I'm overthinking this, because if I can get decent groups with pretty much any factory FMJ load, I shouldn't be worried about having 1-2k of whatever bullet lying around.

For your first batch just get FMJ. You don't save much using Plated and you don't want to start off with Moly which can fail horribly in some peoples guns.

robin303
04-19-2011, 14:13
My go to and testing is the Berry's. But for my matches I love the 124 HP from Montana gold.