Dillon 550 Power Measure "Flaking" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 550 Power Measure "Flaking"

vtducrider
04-18-2011, 21:53
Just switched back to 45ACP tonight, ran about 100 rounds with no issues in terms of caliper and case gauge measurements. However I noticed the powder measure was flaking as the powder bar slid back and forth. Not really bad, but enough to bother me a bit. I didn't see any obvious adjustments to correct it. Has anyone had this issue? Fixes needed? I am using Winchester 231 powder, not sure if it would be a factor since there are no problems with another powder measure unit.

Boxerglocker
04-18-2011, 21:59
Just switched back to 45ACP tonight, ran about 100 rounds with no issues in terms of caliper and case gauge measurements. However I noticed the powder measure was flaking as the powder bar slid back and forth. Not really bad, but enough to bother me a bit. I didn't see any obvious adjustments to correct it. Has anyone had this issue? Fixes needed? I am using Winchester 231 powder, not sure if it would be a factor since there are no problems with another powder measure unit.

I assume you changed powders? Did you clean the powder bar out? Sometimes jarring the powder measure arounf cause the issues you have been to happen. I always take an extra few minutes to clean my powder measure out and wipe the slide bar with a clean rag wetted with alcohol.

PCJim
04-18-2011, 22:19
Sorry, but I have no idea what a powder measure "flaking" refers to, especially "as the powder bar slid back and forth". Can you elaborate a bit more with a layman's description?

Boxerglocker
04-18-2011, 23:27
Sorry, but I have no idea what a powder measure "flaking" refers to, especially "as the powder bar slid back and forth". Can you elaborate a bit more with a layman's description?

I assume he stating that powder is escaping from between the bar and spacer. I had that issue briefly when I first got my XL650.

vtducrider
04-19-2011, 06:28
I assume he stating that powder is escaping from between the bar and spacer. I had that issue breifly when I forst got my XL650.

Yes, what Boxer said....

It's happening with a dedicated powder measure for 45ACP, and I have been using Win231 in it exclusively forever.... About 10 or so powder flakes would accumulate on top of the powder bar on every return stroke of the crank. And then fall off as I operate the machine.

I pulled out the powder bar and everything looked clean, no gunk, no grease etc... I wiped everything down with a clean cloth, and it's still happening. Maybe I will give Dillon a call today.

Boxerglocker
04-19-2011, 08:31
Yes, what Boxer said....

It's happening with a dedicated powder measure for 45ACP, and I have been using Win231 in it exclusively forever.... About 10 or so powder flakes would accumulate on top of the powder bar on every return stroke of the crank. And then fall off as I operate the machine.

I pulled out the powder bar and everything looked clean, no gunk, no grease etc... I wiped everything down with a clean cloth, and it's still happening. Maybe I will give Dillon a call today.

Here is what I did and it solved the issue immediately. Take a sheet of 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Place it on a know relatively flat surface and wet lap the mating surfaces of the small powder bar and spacer. Use a figure eight motion about 8-12 time with moderate pressure. Check every few for high spots, you will see them. Afterwards clean with alcohol and reassemble with any luck you'll be good to go.

mogollon
04-19-2011, 09:52
vtducrider,
Check the thickness of the powder bar and the spacer bar above it. Both should be .355-.357" thick. Sounds like one or the other got overground, or else just tolerance stacking between the two bars. I suspect a replacement spacer bar might be in order.Call or e-mail us.

PCJim
04-19-2011, 10:19
:goodpost: Can't get any better than directly from the manufacturer.

Just gotta love Dillon.

vtducrider
04-19-2011, 12:53
Mogollon,
Thanks for the specs on those parts... The spacer measured 0.355" in the middle, and just a hair under that at the ends. The powder bar measured 0.356" in the middle, and 0.353" at the ends. I will give you guys a call today.

GioaJack
04-19-2011, 13:00
Since both of my 1050's have tried to kill me do I get a free one? Third time may be the charm. :dunno:

Jack

vtducrider
04-19-2011, 13:16
New small powder bar kit is on the way from Dillon, under warranty... It includes the spacer and the plastic plug on top as well. This is awesome. Glad I own a Dillon!

WiskyT
04-19-2011, 16:27
:goodpost: Can't get any better than directly from the manufacturer.

Just gotta love Dillon.

Relax, it's just a guy in India. He's the same guy who helped me get the clock set on my DVD recorder. Besides, he already has C4W on his ignore list:whistling: