Use of handgun to protect a pet against another pet. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Use of handgun to protect a pet against another pet.

21Carrier
04-19-2011, 03:16
Mas,
Again, thanks so much for making yourself available here to all of us. What would I be able to do about another dog attacking my dog? I recently read a thread in which someone asked you about brandishing or even USING their weapon against a HUMAN to protect their animal, and while I ABSOLUTELY understand that any state would value human life over an animal's, regardless of the situation, I have wondered what the laws would say about animal to animal violence.

Being a dog lover, I would always try to first stop a fight manually, but if it were obvious that the death of my animal was likely, would I be justified in shooting the other dog? I, like many, consider my dog family, and would rather face a civil lawsuit (to some extent) than to sit idly and watch him be mauled to death, but I would not like to find myself facing criminal charges.

By the way, I live in Alabama and my dog is VERY well mannered and trained, with no history of fighting, but I cannot say the same for various neighbors, and I ofter worry about this scenario.

Mas Ayoob
04-19-2011, 06:25
As a GENERAL RULE, you're good to go on that. You still want to drop by the legal library at your county courthouse and look up caselaw on the topic in YOUR state. (Legal librarian is usually happy to help.)

As always, you're bound by what the courts call "the totality of the circumstances," and of course by common sense. In crowded environments, bullets have been known to go through dogs, ricochet off the sidewalk, and strike human bystanders. Shooting a Chuhuahua that bites your Great Dane's tail probably isn't going to fly, either.

Best of luck,
Mas