Would self defense be justified? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Would self defense be justified?

bogman2121
04-19-2011, 07:18
This story has been copied from 10tv.com but a quick rundown... two punk kids(17 and 13) were terrorizing people in Columbus, Ohio and tackled a jogger twice and later pulled a knife on a business owner. Would the jogger be justified in deadly force or fighting back despite the kids not being 18?

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2011/04/18/story-columbus-short-north-teens-allegedly-assault-people.html?sid=102

COLUMBUS, Ohio Police on Monday said two boys, ages 13 and 17, attacked people in the Short North in broad daylight and one of the alleged assaults was caught on camera. Police said the assaults happened in the 1100 block of High Street over the weekend, 10TV's Maureen Kocot reported.
Business owners said the two teens were on bicycles and rode through the neighborhood, terrorizing anyone who crossed their path.
Witnesses at the Travonna Coffee House said the teens knocked over a jogger, who came inside to call police.
Surveillance cameras were rolling as the boys followed the jogger inside the store and allegedly tackled him to the ground again.
Witnesses told police that the teens left the coffee house and began screaming obscenities at a woman who lives across the street.
"A lot of these young kids really, truly do think they're bullet proof and 10 feet tall," said Tom Smith, who owns several Short North businesses. "I like to say it's a different circus every day here in the Short North because I have a lot of fun."
Smith said it was anything but fun when he confronted the teens. He said one of them pulled a knife on him, Kocot reported.
"He pulled his knife and informed me that I didn't have any business talking to him. At that point the police were called and I grabbed my baseball bat," Smith said.
Smith said the retail district near High Street and 5th Avenue is a great place for people to meet, shop, and dine. He hopes to plan a block party this summer so business owners can meet their neighbors and everyone can work together combat crime.
Smith said that he plans to file assault charges against the teens.
Police said the two boys were tracked down and identified, but officers released them to their parents, Kocot reported.
Because officers did not witness the assaults, the victims must file charges if they want to see the teens prosecuted.
Watch 10TV News HD and refresh 10TV.com for additional information.

What would any of you do in this situation and would self defense or deadly force be justified? I say yes...

Mas Ayoob
04-19-2011, 19:22
It ain't about age, it's about lethality. Last I heard, cops in America had been killed by people ranging in age from early teens to advanced senior citizens. Ditto innocent civilian victims. Children have committed murder.

It's a tragic thing to contemplate, but there's truth to the saying that "the younger serpent has the stronger venom." There are young people today who've been raised without values, give no thought to their own future, and are ready to both die and kill.

Sadly,
Mas