vehicle gun - revolver or semi auto? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : vehicle gun - revolver or semi auto?

jack76590
04-19-2011, 18:56
While I have tried, I really can not draw fast from behind the wheel of my car. I have a center console and this makes it hard to get to my gun on my strong side. This is bad aspect of having center console, but good aspect is console is place to put gun. The console also serves as armrest and opens straight up so pretty convenient to draw from it with practice. And console interior is narrow enough to prevent gun from rotating much and this prevents having grip in bad position.

So to my questions. What do you think of having a dedicated handgun in that location? While I would take it out at night, it would often remain there when I went into stores etc. Naturally, I would be careful to lock my car doors.

Also what type or even specific handgun would you recommend? I think revolver has some merit it you have to fire inside vehicle as your grip may be less than perfect and slide could jam against back of seat, etc. And in car jacking situation you could be right up against person.

If semi auto I am thinking DA/SA or DA only. Since need to carry with loaded chamber this would seem best approach. Also Smith and Wesson with magazine disconnector might have some merit as easy to slip mag into pocket if have to leave handgun in car - I plan on still having my normal carry gun. So an extra gun could be a bit hard to carry.

Anyhow, all ideas, comments appreciated.

Mas Ayoob
04-21-2011, 05:33
Jack, I like the way you think. The removed magazine from the pistol with the disconnector makes sense. You'll just have to be vigilant about always returning the magazine, and being careful the handling doesn't frighten passersby on the sidewalk.

What's going to be fastest for you will have a lot to do with your body shape and range of movement vis-a-vis the dimensions of the driver's cockpit and the console. Many have found that an ankle holster is an excellent option when behind the wheel. Personally, I've found rocking my shoulders to the left (I'm right-handed) allows me to clear a hip holster in the driver's seat. But everyone is different.

I'd recommend getting a dummy gun (or triple-checking an unloaded gun) and finding some discreet place where you can practice ankle draws, hip draws, and the reach to the console. One or the other is going to prove faster and more natural to you, but no one else can reliably predict which it's going to be.

Get back when you can and let us know which works best for ya!

Cordially,
Mas