SO ive decided on the Lee Classic Turret kit! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SO ive decided on the Lee Classic Turret kit!

Fwdftw
04-19-2011, 20:42
Now what other items will i need to be ready to rock and roll??

I know ill need:
Tumbler
Dies

But a friend was suggestion.. Rifle Charging Die, Dual Disk For the Powder Hopper.. So i just wanna make sure when i order i get everything i need for the time being..

Intend to reload 308 .45 and .223

Thank You SO MUCH for your time.

XDRoX
04-19-2011, 20:58
I have no idea what you'll need. I remember it to be very confusing. But good choice and welcome to the club:wavey:

Fwdftw
04-19-2011, 21:00
hey hey im glad to be joining.. found my bench ( reinforced computer desk)! , Convinced the fiance to let me take over the extra bed room! im ready to rock and roll!

Colorado4Wheel
04-19-2011, 21:20
If you order from Kempf's it comes with the Dies. After that you got to decide how you are going to load your rifle. Full length vs neck sizing. That type of thing. Whatever you do DO NOT get the LCT kit with the Lee scale. Just trust me.

Boxerglocker
04-19-2011, 21:20
Now what other items will i need to be ready to rock and roll??

I know ill need:
Tumbler
Dies

But a friend was suggestion.. Rifle Charging Die, Dual Disk For the Powder Hopper.. So i just wanna make sure when i order i get everything i need for the time being..

Intend to reload 308 .45 and .223

Thank You SO MUCH for your time.

Get your LCT from Kempfs gunshop online... thier kit has everything including dies to load one caliber of your choice. I would start with .45 ACP
In addition you will need a good scale, Dillon beam would be a good choice, a caliper, case gauge or use your barrel. Tumbler kit with media a manual and you good to go.
Later add dies and a spare turret for each extra caliber and of course case prep tools for rifle.
The kempfs kit goes for about $220 dellivered with both upgrades, best price for a LCT online.

PsychoKnight
04-20-2011, 03:23
You're gonna have to buy different things at different places, but its worth the effort to get the right items.
Kempf's
LCT Rifle Kit (one caliber included, comes with Double Disk Kit & rifle charging die)
Lee Pistol Carbide 4-Die Sets
Turret for each additional die set (gman12, good catch)
Riser for each extra torret (stumpjumper, thnx)

direct from Dillon Precision
Dillon Eliminator Scale ($54) , 3-poise scale is a must (2-poise will mess you up, the mind does not think in increments of 5, this model has better knife bearing, more solid base, and cheaper than RCBS505, but the Lee scale will make you hate life itself)
Dillon Case Gage ($15handgun $25rifle) for each caliber: if your rounds drop in easy and don't stick out, it will chamber in your gun

From MidwayUSA
Tumbler Kit $64
Digital Caliper (any under $30, out of stock , all the same manufacturer, look elsewhere)
Lyman Check Weight Set $36 (to calibrate your scale at the weights you are using for that day, or to build your own adjustment chart, because no scale is dead-on across the range)
Loading Block, Universal (1 or 2) for load testing $8
Hornady Cam-Lock Bullet Puller $20 - Your apartment neighbors will call the cops if you wack a hammer style puller all night long, your girlfriend will leave you
Hornady bullet puller collets $8 each caliber, for above
Speer Manual 14 $33
Lyman Manual $20 (yes, you need/want both, will make you smart/smarter)
Ammo Boxes - caliber boxes only for field testing loads
Utility Boxes for ammo - unslotted, for your bulk ammo, unless you enjoy putting each cartridge in a hole for no reason
Utility Boxes - various sizes for small reloading parts/tools

I would wait on the case prep tools until you actually start loading 223, but get the press kit in rifle for the double disk kit which allows you to fine tune your pistol loads by dividing your cavity sizes in half. You'll understand once you read the instructions on the doubling kit.
Also check out the Lee triangular reloading stand for apartment reloaders on the Lee Precision site. Quick change plate system means you can yank the press, throw it in the closet for storage. Or, you can at least just move the stand/press into the corner when you are not loading and not lose the desk space. It also means you have a portable reloading system to take to the field to develop loads. Get a free scrap of carpet from a carpet shop to use as a mat because stepped-on gunpowder will stain the carpet
Always wear safety glasses

stumpjumper
04-20-2011, 05:34
An adjustable powder disk, "spacer" for the powder dispenser for each caliber die plate.

GMAN12
04-20-2011, 05:39
Maybe a couple of extra turrets and risers for the powder dispenser.

IndyGunFreak
04-20-2011, 05:45
For some reason, I always worry when people talk about buying a LCT kit, they are talking about that horrid Lee kit... lol.

Listen to everyone, get the Kempf kit. To often I think they read the sticky and say "Lee Turret it".. go to Midway, and think they are getting the Lee Classic Turret.

I would definitely start w/ Pistol.

IGF

Chiplexic
04-20-2011, 08:01
Before you order check out this site that someone pointed out to me. I have no affiliation with them. I'm in the same position as you. Just starting to consider what and where to get some equipment.

*Lee 4 hole Classic Turret press auto-index-
Kempf- $104.95
Natchezss- $87.45.
*Lee Pro auto-disk powder measure-
Kemptf-$37.95
Natchezss-$32.49
*Lee lg and sm primer feeder-
Kemptf-$23.95
Nachezss-$18.99
*Lee auto-disk riser-
Kemptf- $7.95
Natchezss-$6.49
*Lyman #49 Manual
Kemptf-$24.95
Natchezss-$16.79 http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=LY&prodID=LY9817048&prodTitle=Lyman%2048th%20Reloading%20Handbook
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentId=productSearch&searchItem=lee%20classic%20turret

IndyGunFreak
04-20-2011, 10:01
Before you order check out this site that someone pointed out to me. I have no affiliation with them. I'm in the same position as you. Just starting to consider what and where to get some equipment.

*Lee 4 hole Classic Turret press auto-index-
Kempf- $104.95
Natchezss- $87.45.
*Lee Pro auto-disk powder measure-
Kemptf-$37.95
Natchezss-$32.49
*Lee lg and sm primer feeder-
Kemptf-$23.95
Nachezss-$18.99
*Lee auto-disk riser-
Kemptf- $7.95
Natchezss-$6.49
*Lyman #49 Manual
Kemptf-$24.95
Natchezss-$16.79 http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=LY&prodID=LY9817048&prodTitle=Lyman%2048th%20Reloading%20Handbook
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentId=productSearch&searchItem=lee%20classic%20turret

After you add dies, the cost comparison between what you "assemble" at Natchezss, and what you get in the kit at Kempf... is negligible.

The Kempf kit also comes with ammo boxes, if thats important to someone.

Boxerglocker
04-20-2011, 12:58
After you add dies, the cost comparison between what you "assemble" at Natchezss, and what you get in the kit at Kempf... is negligible.

The Kempf kit also comes with ammo boxes, if thats important to someone.

Not to meantion Natchezz is great a bending you over on the shipping :whistling:

I've been through this several times, Kempfs kit is the best deal and they will not ship unless complete. Good luck with Natchezz on that one.

Once again I would advice start with one caliber, .45 work at it before moving on to anything else.

IndyGunFreak
04-20-2011, 13:04
Not to meantion Natchezz is great a bending you over on the shipping :whistling:

I've been through this several times, Kempfs kit is the best deal and they will not ship unless complete. Good luck with Natchezz on that one.

Once again I would advice start wil one caliber, .45 work at it before moving on to anything else.

I was gonna mention Natchezss shipping prices, but I figured if someone actually went with them, they'd notice it before placing the order. You really don't realize how bad it is, till its staring you in the face. :)

RustyFN
04-20-2011, 14:48
First I think the classic turret is a great press for people not looking for thousands of rounds per month. This would be my suggestion. I have been loading 223 on mine for a few years with the double disk kit. I recently bought a Lee perfect powder measure with an adapter that will let me mount it to the rifle charging die. I am much happier with this set up over the double disk kit. I still use the single disk's for loading pistol. This is the adapter, you want to buy the pistol adapter.

http://www.gun-guides.com/thumbnail.asp?file=assets/images/tpa.jpg&maxx=300&maxy=0

Here is the link, http://www.gun-guides.com/The-Perfect-Handgun-Adapter-for-LEE-Perfect-Powder-Measures_p_41.html

sellersm
04-20-2011, 14:56
+1 on the gun-guide perfect adapter!

I have purchased a lot of things from Natchez, however, you do need to compare the TOTAL price carefully (once shipping is factored in)!

I'd go with the Kempf kit and be done with it.....

cowboy1964
04-20-2011, 17:12
Starting with 45 ACP is good. Doesn't get much easier than that. I haven't loaded rifle yet and probably won't, just don't shoot enough of it to justify it.

+1 for Kempf's. Fast and good prices. Get the blue tumbler from them. It's much quieter than I thought a tumbler would be.

Chiplexic
04-20-2011, 18:10

The Kempf kit also comes with ammo boxes, if thats important to someone. Well...sort of close in price.

Kempfgunshop.com with Auto disk powder Up Grade to "Pro"

Pistol Caliber Kits Include:
Lee Classic Turret Press
Lee Deluxe 4-Die Set for the pistol caliber of your choice.
Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure
Lee Safety Prime System (Large AND Small)
Lee Auto Disk Riser (Required for the Safety Prime System)
Six MTM 50 round Plastic Ammo Boxes
----------------------$211.95 +shipping $19.72= $231.67

Exact same items(except boxes) @ Natchez -$180.45
Shipping $18.32 + insurance $1.50 = $200.27

But, if Natchez ships the order at 2 seperate times, that will take a bite out of some of the savings .

High Altitude
04-20-2011, 18:19
You can also check prices with factorysales.com

PsychoKnight
04-21-2011, 10:10
First I think the classic turret is a great press for people not looking for thousands of rounds per month. This would be my suggestion. I have been loading 223 on mine for a few years with the double disk kit. I recently bought a Lee perfect powder measure with an adapter that will let me mount it to the rifle charging die. I am much happier with this set up over the double disk kit. I still use the single disk's for loading pistol. This is the adapter, you want to buy the pistol adapter.

http://www.gun-guides.com/thumbnail.asp?file=assets/images/tpa.jpg&maxx=300&maxy=0

Here is the link, http://www.gun-guides.com/The-Perfect-Handgun-Adapter-for-LEE-Perfect-Powder-Measures_p_41.html

The Perfect measure is nice to have for 223 and any kind of rifle loading, but only as an extra powder measure, not in lieu of the AutoMeasure if he is starting with auto pistol calibers and won't be working with 223 for a while. There's enough to do with your hands when using a turrent.

PsychoKnight
04-21-2011, 10:22
Well...sort of close in price.

Kempfgunshop.com with Auto disk powder Up Grade to "Pro"

Pistol Caliber Kits Include:
Lee Classic Turret Press
Lee Deluxe 4-Die Set for the pistol caliber of your choice.
Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure
Lee Safety Prime System (Large AND Small)
Lee Auto Disk Riser (Required for the Safety Prime System)
Six MTM 50 round Plastic Ammo Boxes
----------------------$211.95 +shipping $19.72= $231.67

Exact same items(except boxes) @ Natchez -$180.45
Shipping $18.32 + insurance $1.50 = $200.27

But, if Natchez ships the order at 2 seperate times, that will take a bite out of some of the savings .

I don't think they're into Lee stuff as much as Kempf. When I was a Richard Lee Follower, most of my orders from Natchez had the wrong item shipped to me, and it was a pain to wait for the return and reship. Then they always charge me shipping again for their mistake, after promising not to, but it gets added on at ship-time and I have to have that corrected. Its just sloppy customer service. Little things add up.

Fwdftw
04-21-2011, 21:12
thank you all so much!

Fwdftw
04-26-2011, 21:32
Ok i bought it at basspro.... and ill be ordering my tumbler and autodisk powder kit asap!

IndyGunFreak
04-26-2011, 21:40
Ok i bought it at basspro.... and ill be ordering my tumbler and autodisk powder kit asap!

How much did you pay for just the press...?

IGF

Fwdftw
04-28-2011, 18:44
it was a kit..

press
powder scale
Auto Disk Powder Measure
Primer pocket cleaner
Chamfer tool
And Lee Case Trimmer..

sellersm
04-28-2011, 18:48
So you ended up with the dreaded Lee safety scale? :whistling:

Don't forget your dies....

And you can start loading without a tumbler.

sellersm
04-28-2011, 18:49
Did it come with the Safety Prime? If not, what's your plan for priming?

Fwdftw
04-28-2011, 18:51
didnt come with safety prime.. i was gonna order the prime kit ..

why is the lee scale so bad?

IndyGunFreak
04-28-2011, 19:13
it was a kit..

press
powder scale
Auto Disk Powder Measure
Primer pocket cleaner
Chamfer tool
And Lee Case Trimmer..

:shakehead:

Should've listened to what C4W put in the thread. You got the Lee Auto Turret w/ that kit.. I can only tell you my experience with one is limited, and I'm glad I bought the LCT.

Colorado4Wheel
04-28-2011, 21:20
Press is a investment. Send it back and get the better one.

sellersm
04-28-2011, 22:23
+1 to what Colorado4Wheel and IndyGunFreak said. You got the aluminum-framed Auto Turret, not the Classic cast Turret which is made of cast iron/steel. I have both and trust me, the Auto Turret is not what you want.

The Lee Safe Scale actually works, but it's very temperamental to work with, and difficult for some (like me) to read/see. For me it's a difference between a "tedious chore" and working with something that's a pleasure to use....

If I were you, I'd send it back (or cancel the order if you can) and get the kit from Kempf.

PsychoKnight
04-29-2011, 05:41
it was a kit..

press
powder scale
Auto Disk Powder Measure
Primer pocket cleaner
Chamfer tool
And Lee Case Trimmer..

Ouch. Wrong press, wrong scale. Trimmer, chamfer, pocket cleaner were not any of the essentials recommended by anybody here. The measure was the only thing from the original list (won't work without a riser, so this isn't even a functional kit). You failed to get the safety primer in the package, a core accessory. There is a reason everyone recommended the Kempf kit - its got what you need to start with. Basspro doesn't know what they are doing and put together a useless kit to keep the price down.

I would return the entire kit, even if they charge a 20% restocking charge. Nobody is in favor of the bottom of the line auto turret - we all said LCT. There is only one type of LCT. Perhaps you don't know the different, but Kempf would not have steered you to an Auto Turret in any of their packages. There isn't anything good about the kit you bought, and runs counter to all the good advice so many people offered.

If you ask for advice, you have to have the mindset of at least considering it, especially if there is a huge concensus on particular items, such as the LCT and also to avoid a certain scale. If you buy something no one recommended, and don't buy stuff that everyone recommends, its just a waste of the forum's time.

Oh well, good luck. And happy reloading. I'm done with this thread.
:upeyes:

Fwdftw
04-29-2011, 08:00
Ok my apologies.. i didnt realize that the Deluxe was not the LCT.. My bad folks! Its being returned today and im ordering the Kempf kit with the dillon 505 scale

IndyGunFreak
04-29-2011, 09:18
Ok my apologies.. i didnt realize that the Deluxe was not the LCT.. My bad folks! Its being returned today and im ordering the Kempf kit with the dillon 505 scale

No need to apologize, but after you pay for return shipping, etc.. this might prove expensive. Did you read Colorado4Wheel's sticky? This was discussed pretty extensively.

Fwdftw
04-29-2011, 21:55
no return shipping its intown.

IndyGunFreak
04-29-2011, 22:23
no return shipping its intown.

Well thats good...

Fwdftw
04-29-2011, 23:27
indeed! more money for tumbler and scale!

PsychoKnight
04-30-2011, 08:03
No need to apologize, but after you pay for return shipping, etc.. this might prove expensive. Did you read Colorado4Wheel's sticky? This was discussed pretty extensively.

Actually, the apology felt good - on behalf of the group. It means he understands we're trying to help and just want the best for him and to get themost for each hard earned buck spent. Good to know we're on the right track now.

The thing about buying reloading stuff locally, there just isn't enough selection, and if there is, the price is unbearable. And, sales people are never reloaders, and their advice is geared to sell their own inventory, naturally. A really huge gun show might be an option, but lugging around a press and tumbler for 1/2 a mile isn't so fun, and many shows don't allow wheeled handtrucks/dollies/backpacks.