glock reload problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : glock reload problems

gunznmoney
04-19-2011, 21:22
hey guys. got a question. i know all the hype about loading lead in glocks so spare me your horror stories. my glock shoots lead great and with little to no lead deposits left in the barrel. however the next to last shell never ejects. the slide does not even attempt to open? anyone got any ideas as to what could cause this or any suggestions. thanks.

gunznmoney

Colorado4Wheel
04-19-2011, 21:24
hey guys. got a question. i know all the hype about loading lead in glocks so spare me your horror stories. my glock shoots lead great and with little to no lead deposits left in the barrel. however the next to last shell never ejects. the slide does not even attempt to open? anyone got any ideas as to what could cause this or any suggestions. thanks.

gunznmoney

Add more powder. Assuming your using a mild load of course.

GioaJack
04-19-2011, 21:31
I would think the first thing to ask does this happen with just one magazine or with multiple mags? If it's just one it sounds like you need to tune the mag; spring and mag lips.

Eliminate the simple cause first.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
04-19-2011, 21:36
I would think the first thing to ask does this happen with just one magazine or with multiple mags? If it's just one it sounds like you need to tune the mag; spring and mag lips.

Eliminate the simple cause first.

Jack

Glocks don't normally need any tuning of the mags.

PEC-Memphis
04-19-2011, 21:43
If you are using shells, that might be part of the problem.

Are you chamber checking your cartridges?

Is the extractor hook completely clean?
Some powders (I know titegroup does) form a very hard residue.

What PF is your load? If it is light (120-135 PF for 9mm/.40), are you using the stock recoil spring?

PCJim
04-19-2011, 22:18
Have to agree with Jack. OP stated that all other cartridges are ejecting, only the next to last cartridge that doesn't. Sounds like the last cartridge remaining in the mag is not sitting correctly and is somehow hanging the spent case so that it cannot eject.

gunznmoney
04-19-2011, 22:21
i shoot 4.2 gr tite group with a 200 gr semi wad cutter. its not a light load but its not heavy either. ill try my second mag. and the gun had less than 150 rounds through it when i tested these loads.

fredj338
04-20-2011, 08:44
Can you shoot lead out of a stock bbl, sure. How long before it causes a problem, that is the question. Clean it well between sessions & shooting lead bullets is possible. The aftermarket bbls are just easier to go with if you want a dedicated lead bullet shooter IMO.

unclebob
04-20-2011, 09:08
Get at least 500 rds. through the gun first. Need to try it with different mags. Mark your mags so you know what one or ones are missing up. Try different ammo.

Roering
04-21-2011, 15:13
Well isn't this an eye opener.

Occasionally I'll throw in my conversion barrell and shoot 9mm out of my G23. Although the rounds go bang sometimes the last one will not lock the slide back. I've always attributed this to a round with less perceived recoil and/or a heavier spring. I guess there are other reasons.

Colorado4Wheel
04-21-2011, 15:51
Springs for Gen 3 glocks are all the same (within the same family) all the way up to the G20. Basically everything but the compacts. Glock increases the weight of the slide to adjust for each rounds different power level. So shooting a 9mm out of a gun designed for the .40 is not going to move the slide as well as it would on the same gun with a lighter slide. Thats the likely cause. It's also pretty common. So run hotter loads or better yet a slightly reduced powder recoil spring.

WiskyT
04-21-2011, 16:40
i shoot 4.2 gr tite group with a 200 gr semi wad cutter. its not a light load but its not heavy either. ill try my second mag. and the gun had less than 150 rounds through it when i tested these loads.

I'm surprised your gun will run SWC's at all. The extracting case is getting caught on the shoulder of the SWC underneath it in the magazine. Look at the round in the mag, there should be a nice dent in the shoulder of the bullet.

fredj338
04-21-2011, 19:07

Which GLock is it? THe G36 is notorious for not feeding the LSWC. I used to shoot them in a G21, no issues, don;t know about a G30.

GioaJack
04-21-2011, 19:16
You stand a better chance of reading Korean newspaper than you do getting a G30 to feed most SWC's.

Jack

kshutt
04-22-2011, 04:48
Dude, if you're set on shooting lead, at least do your Glock a favor and switch over to a round nose bullet. My Sig P220 won't even feed SWC's reliably.

PsychoKnight
04-22-2011, 07:07
I'm surprised your gun will run SWC's at all. The extracting case is getting caught on the shoulder of the SWC underneath it in the magazine. Look at the round in the mag, there should be a nice dent in the shoulder of the bullet.

Yep - its the SWC. The reason the previous shots eject is that there is enough spring tension to overcome the bullet shoulder, but when there is only one round left in the mag, there isn't enough upward pressure to get the previous round in place. Try loading the last bottom two rounds with round nose, lead or jacketed, and you'll see the difference.

The only swc I'd had success with is cast from the Lee mold - they have a heavily radiused front nose and very slight shoulder. These are bottom heavy so they are only good for light rounds due to reduced case capacity.

gunznmoney
04-22-2011, 15:06
thanks guys. im going to the range tonight to try some things and ill let u know how it goes. its a glock 21 sf by the way