Finally had it checked out... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Finally had it checked out...

pal2511
04-21-2011, 15:56
I had been complaining of lower back pain for quite some time. I had accompanying pain in my stomech that would subside after I ate food or sometimes get worse if I had an empty stomech. It hurt real bad yesterday and I could not get comfortable at all during work.

Went to emergency clinic today and Dr thought I have Ulcer(s) in stomech. Blood work and such were done.

Dr. said lower back pain is VERY common with ulcers so for you guys with aching backs it might be something to think about

Sharky7
04-21-2011, 19:38
That's no fun man. You losing weight? How have you been doing with food and pop?

m2hmghb
04-21-2011, 19:47
Gallbladder pain can also cause pain below the shoulder blade. Appendix pain can cause back pain as well. Apparently the nerves can run near each other. I am switching to vicodin from vicoprofen because I was starting to see warning signs of an ulcer. Feel better and follow the doctor's advice. A few days off to destress might help as well.

pal2511
04-21-2011, 21:02
K had been eating a ton of pop and junk food so nothing healthy

rookie1
04-22-2011, 00:11

Stopped at a gas station today. Got a 44oz of Mt. Dew, oreo cakesters, and 2 cookies. Thats my night.

Ajon412
04-22-2011, 04:07
I had been complaining of lower back pain for quite some time. I had accompanying pain in my stomech that would subside after I ate food or sometimes get worse if I had an empty stomech. It hurt real bad yesterday and I could not get comfortable at all during work.

Went to emergency clinic today and Dr thought I have Ulcer(s) in stomech. Blood work and such were done.

Dr. said lower back pain is VERY common with ulcers so for you guys with aching backs it might be something to think about

Good luck, feel better and keep us posted...:wavey:

Stopped at a gas station today. Got a 44oz of Mt. Dew, oreo cakesters, and 2 cookies. Thats my night.

Bro, you must be bouncing off the walls all night after eating all those goodies....:rofl:

Kahr_Glockman
04-22-2011, 21:52

That is a breakfast of champions right there!

DaBigBR
04-22-2011, 21:56
That is a breakfast of champions right there!

Said the same thing about the navel orage (DELICIOUS!), string cheese, and marshmallow Peeps I had before coming in today (a scant ten hours after going home last night).

G27Chief
04-22-2011, 22:20
Rarely known a guy in the field over 10 years without complaint of an ulcer or two. We eat crap when we get a second to grab something, and stress can aid in development of duodenal ulcers.

CJStudent
04-22-2011, 23:02
I had a coworker off for four days last week for the same thing. He was having back pain, then pain that made him think he was having another heart attack. He gets to the ER, and come to find out, he has an ulcer the size of a peach on his stomach. He said the pain was bad enough to make him short of breath, and simulate the heart-attack symptoms. He's back to work now, and on meds to try to fix it, but it definitely gave him quite a scare.

fla2760
04-23-2011, 00:16
Did any of you guys with ulcers have antibiotics and or Nexium prescribed?

pal2511
04-23-2011, 00:25
They perscribed Ranitidine otherwise known as zantac. Did decent for most of the day but I have been using tylenol like no ones business. Started hurting when I got home today from running errands and what not. I put a heating pad on my back and it felt good. Wish I had a bathtub at my house but I only have a shower. It has only been one day since taking the medication so I have not noticed anything for improvements. I drank a small glass of soda because not having caffine has been driving me crazy and I would rather have a belly ache then a splitting headache. Soda didnt hurt and I didn't hurt till I sat down at home.

My blood tests came back good but I have to take my stool tests yet. I cant take them because you cannot have rare hamburger or steak within 48 hours or it will come up posititve.

Any tips on what not to eat besides caffiene? I ate a ice cream sandwich...that was a mistake. I have been trying to drink water or ginger ale.

m2hmghb
04-23-2011, 02:49
I'd say watch the dairy intake. Milk soothes the stomach but it takes a lot more acid to digest. It's good short term but messes you up worse long term. Did your doctor say anything about using Tums or Gaviscon? If he didnt you might want to contact the office to see if you should use them.

nikerret
04-23-2011, 03:48
My blood tests came back good but I have to take my stool tests yet. I cant take them because you cannot have rare hamburger or steak within 48 hours or it will come up posititve.

I guess if they can't kill you with ulcers, they try to starve you.

Best of luck with it; I'm probably only a year, or two, behind you.

fla2760
04-23-2011, 16:58
They perscribed Ranitidine otherwise known as zantac. Did decent for most of the day but I have been using tylenol like no ones business. Started hurting when I got home today from running errands and what not. I put a heating pad on my back and it felt good. Wish I had a bathtub at my house but I only have a shower. It has only been one day since taking the medication so I have not noticed anything for improvements. I drank a small glass of soda because not having caffine has been driving me crazy and I would rather have a belly ache then a splitting headache. Soda didnt hurt and I didn't hurt till I sat down at home.

Any tips on what not to eat besides caffiene? I ate a ice cream sandwich...that was a mistake. I have been trying to drink water or ginger ale.

Tylenol, at least for me if taken too long has caused stomach lining irritation. Did you try saltines? They seemed to help me somewhat but what really helped was the 40mg of Nexium I take each night before bed. It works best if you allow at least an hour after eating before you take it.

volsbear
04-23-2011, 18:30
Good luck with everything, man. I hope they get you squared away.

I'm going to the doctor on Tuesday to start the process of getting some things figured out as well.

25pd
04-24-2011, 18:32
ULCERS!! its part of the job..............also cut down on job stress if possible. my dad had them and fortunately i skated on ulcers but did have heart problems just before retirement. please take it easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pal2511
04-25-2011, 05:17
Tylenol, at least for me if taken too long has caused stomach lining irritation. Did you try saltines? They seemed to help me somewhat but what really helped was the 40mg of Nexium I take each night before bed. It works best if you allow at least an hour after eating before you take it.

Dr told me to take tylenol and not ibuprofen. Said tylenol was easier on the stomech. I think I've had too much stress and junk food

Ill end up losing weight guanteerd

Hack
04-25-2011, 05:43

Stay off of the soda brother, and the junk food.

I would suggest aloe gel and juice for this. I use it sometimes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/1883718.stm

puckhead
04-25-2011, 17:28
Going in on Thursday to get an ultrasound of my gallbladder. Having back pain like mentioned here. Already take a prescription for acid reflux too. Need to cut out the junk and loose a bit as well.

nursetim
04-25-2011, 17:43
Has your doctor done a blood test for H. pylori or Heliobacter pylori? It test for anti bodies to the bacteria H. Pylori. If you are positive you are positive for life.

The treatment I often prescribe is amoxicillian, biaxin, and prilosec twice a day. The antibiotics for 14 days and the prilosec for 90. This is not a guarantee cure BTW.

The gold standard of diagnosing ulcers is a scope down your guzzle and actually see it.

The above is not to taken as competent medical advise and is never a substitute for seeing your doctor. I hope that covers me.

puckhead
05-11-2011, 22:52
Anyone else get any more info on this? I had an ultra sound of all my internal organs and they found "sludge" in my gallbladder. I meet with a surgeon tomorrow to see what he says. They also said I may need another test to verify things. Hopefully they figure things out. Had three "spasms" in a day the other day.

pal2511
05-11-2011, 23:14
How do you use the aloe? Eat it or what

MB-G26
05-13-2011, 03:19
Dr told me to take tylenol and not ibuprofen. Said tylenol was easier on the stomech.

Do NOT, DO NOT, NOTNOTNOT mix "tylenol" with alcohol - unless you consider your kidneys expendable organs.

Islander-11
05-13-2011, 05:04
Did any of you guys with ulcers have antibiotics and or Nexium prescribed?

I eat two of the Nexium purple pills per day. My caffine intake has been cut to low levels and I've substituted tea for coffee.

I've had the scope down my throat twice. Three small ulcers were found.

My doctor told me to find ways to get some stress out of my life. Failed at this yesterday - up at 0200, served search warrant at 0400 with our team, didn't find the mother load, went back to the station and caught a kiddie sex case... Nah, no stress here! :cool:

pal2511
05-13-2011, 05:19
I still am having pain in stomecj. Going to have to get another appt. Did a ulcer stool blood test that was negative. Do these things ever heal or what

RF7126
05-13-2011, 10:48
Good luck, I have a bunch of different gut problems due to stress and diet. It's not fun. I hope you're able to get it taken care soon.

As far as things not to eat/drink (many of which I'm sure you know): Alcohol, soda (any carbonation), straight juices (juice diluted with water isn't tooo bad), chocolate, spicy food, grease, cinnamon. I've heard yogurt helps; dairy helps at first but as others said in the long run dairy is counter-productive.

puckhead
05-13-2011, 23:13
Spoke with the surgeon yesterday. He said he wasnt comfortable saying it was my gallbladder. Wants me to double up on the omeprazole for a month and see if the pain persists. Said they can still do a Hida scan and a scope down the throat if I want at a later date. I think some of these meds should be standard issue lol

puckhead
05-13-2011, 23:14
Hope everyone else is getting some kind of answers and not just a reach around

pal2511
05-14-2011, 04:37
I don't even think I'm getting a reach around! My back along with my stomach hurts so bad tonight. I am thinking of hitting the clinic when I get off work

pal2511
05-14-2011, 04:39
Good luck, I have a bunch of different gut problems due to stress and diet. It's not fun. I hope you're able to get it taken care soon.

As far as things not to eat/drink (many of which I'm sure you know): Alcohol, soda (any carbonation), straight juices (juice diluted with water isn't tooo bad), chocolate, spicy food, grease, cinnamon. I've heard yogurt helps; dairy helps at first but as others said in the long run dairy is counter-productive.

I know I can't seem to eat anything right now...

m2hmghb
05-14-2011, 08:29
Rice should help. Along with other bland starches. Crackers, animal crackers things like that. Did the Dr tell you to take an antacid as well? Mine has me taking gaviscon, it might help. You need something to help soak up some of the acid, nothing works better then starch.

Hack
05-14-2011, 09:12
Start using real kefir. I posted a link for your information.

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

steveksux
05-14-2011, 09:39
Need to cut out the junkThat sounds kind of drastic. You can cut out my junk when you pry it from my cold dead fingers...

I read somewhere that a large number of ulcers are caused by bacteria, and simple antibiotics works wonders in some cases. They thought the guy that was researching that was nuts until he turned out to be right.

Best of luck to the OP, I can imagine the stress, hours, junk food take its toll....

Randy

puckhead
05-14-2011, 11:42
That sounds kind of drastic. You can cut out my junk when you pry it from my cold dead fingers...

I read somewhere that a large number of ulcers are caused by bacteria, and simple antibiotics works wonders in some cases. They thought the guy that was researching that was nuts until he turned out to be right.

Best of luck to the OP, I can imagine the stress, hours, junk food take its toll....

Randy

Ha! Oh man, thats good. Yeah the doc said it would only take an hour and you could barely know it was gone:dunno::tongueout:

Lynn D
05-16-2011, 07:09
For the OP:

Yes, ulcers heal, but they take a bit of time....Make sure you speak with your doc about the continuing symptoms. Take the meds as prescribed. If they haven't offered any info about what you can/can't eat, ask.

I have GERD....reflux, heartburn, call it what you will. Same idea of how to make it better though. Diet: no spicy; no acid; no chocolate; no fried; no caffeine; no dairy; no fun. Start simple, as other have said: rice, potatoes, pretzels, toast. See how you do. Small amounts. Make sure you drink plenty -- water; gatorade. You can try decaf tea/coffee if the doc says.
Meds: things like Zantac; Pepcid; Nexium; Prilosec. If you have an ulcer and they've given you Carafate -- you have to follow the instructions for use.
Otherwise, do try to relax and minimize stress. In the old days, you'd get hospitalized for this and given "bland diet" and kept away from anything that might excite you too much. I can't give you too much advice on "relaxing" as I haven't mastered it myself. :)

Above all, follow your doc's recommendations, ask questions, be patient, and feel better.

Best of luck -- your friendly neighborhood RN/EMT-P.

pal2511
05-31-2011, 09:45
Had a sonogram done last week on my gall bladder. Got the results today and they think its my gall bladder. A surgeon is going to be speaking with me tomorrow to see what to do. Last night I had intense pain after I ate and it lasted for several hours. I have been staying away from caffeien and anything too crazy. I have found out any milk will destroy me though!

Pain is under my rib cage in the V portion. Luckily the Dr that is looking at me is the HEAD of trauma care for the hospital. Don't know if thats a good thing or not :)

m2hmghb
05-31-2011, 10:41
Had a sonogram done last week on my gall bladder. Got the results today and they think its my gall bladder. A surgeon is going to be speaking with me tomorrow to see what to do. Last night I had intense pain after I ate and it lasted for several hours. I have been staying away from caffeien and anything too crazy. I have found out any milk will destroy me though!

Pain is under my rib cage in the V portion. Luckily the Dr that is looking at me is the HEAD of trauma care for the hospital. Don't know if thats a good thing or not :)

Gall bladder pain often radiates to the back under the shoulder blade. Could be an ulcer and the gall bladder going nuts. What can happen is when your diet changes gallstones can start causing problems. Good luck with it and feel better.

Wolfdad
06-01-2011, 22:58
I know it's a sacrilege but you need to cut down on the caffine and sugar. Bring healthier food from home if you can to snack on.Good luck too you!

pal2511
06-01-2011, 23:02
I have had about 4 caffeinated drinks in over a month and have cut way down on fast food.

Met with surgeon today the gall bladder will be leaving on the 17th

Sharky7
06-02-2011, 01:27
How many weeks has this been going on?

Maybe, you are pregnant! Congrats......Sharky is a good boy's name. Sharkette if it is a girl

http://www.epregnancyhelp.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/1270524791-90.jpg

pal2511
06-02-2011, 02:12
A few months at least

Hack
06-03-2011, 09:24
How do you use the aloe? Eat it or what

Drink it. Small servings at a time. Follow directions on the bottle. You can get it in pill form too.

pal2511
06-04-2011, 06:59
Sounds like Diarehea waiting to happen Hack

puckhead
06-04-2011, 21:28
Well, I talked to the surgeon a while back and he said he wasnt ready to take the gallbladder out because he wasnt sure if thats exactly what was causing the pain. He wanted me to double up on the acid reflux (omeprazole) meds and see where that got me. So far so good. No sharp pain. Soreness every now and then though. Still dunno about that sludge they said was in my gall bladder lol

pal2511
06-07-2011, 01:56
I wish I didn't have to take the gall bladder out but thats what the surgeon wants to do. Guess I don't need it anyhow :)

I'm stressed out about the surgery though

puckhead
06-07-2011, 16:19
So your guy wants to take it out huh pal2511? Thats a bummer, but if it offers some relief it would be worth it. What kind of recovery process is it? I assume they cant do a scope surgery on it and have to open you up a bit more?

pal2511
06-07-2011, 17:41
Its lapriscopic. They said most return to work in 3 to 4 days. I can't lift 10 pounds for two weeks. I get it done on the 17th

puckhead
06-07-2011, 18:41
Well good luck to you! You will have to let us know how it goes. But 10 pounds for 2 weeks, jeez, thats nothing!

DaBigBR
06-08-2011, 09:03
I wish I didn't have to take the gall bladder out but thats what the surgeon wants to do. Guess I don't need it anyhow :)

I'm stressed out about the surgery though

I'll do it for you cheap, if that helps. Have your doctor draw me an outline.

redneck1861
06-08-2011, 13:08
deleted