Countdown to the 650. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Countdown to the 650.

Colorado4Wheel
04-21-2011, 18:42
It might come tomorrow. If not tomorrow then I would guess next week early in the week. Hoser comes down to Pueblo on Wednesdays so I may end up waiting for him to bring it down. The wait is killling me. I am just looking forward to putting the my stuff back together. I went and bought some bolts because I can't find the ones for my 550. UncleBob sent me a primer catch tube thingy. Boxerglocker sent me a Roller Bearing setup for the press that should come tomorrow. My wife left me alone for a couple days but it looks like I am going to Denver for Easter. Not a huge family holiday kind of guy lately. I really hope it comes tomorrow so I can set it up tomorrow night. That would be fun. I also hope the 550 holes work for the 650. Really don't want to put more holes in my bench. Anyone know about that?

Bello
04-21-2011, 18:48
It might come tomorrow. If not tomorrow then I would guess next week early in the week. Hoser comes down to Pueblo on Wednesdays so I may end up waiting for him to bring it down. The wait is killling me. I am just looking forward to putting the my stuff back together. I went and bought some bolts because I can't find the ones for my 550. UncleBob sent me a primer catch tube thingy. Boxerglocker sent me a Roller Bearing setup for the press that should come tomorrow. My wife left me alone for a couple days but it looks like I am going to Denver for Easter. Not a huge family holiday kind of guy lately. I really hope it comes tomorrow so I can set it up tomorrow night. That would be fun. I also hope the 550 holes work for the 650. Really don't want to put more holes in my bench. Anyone know about that?

:wavey: yay another blue member! lol. i think all strong mount holes are the same steve! id say more but im in awe you went blue!

Rob

unclebob
04-21-2011, 18:51
Steve does not use the strong mount. If I remember right they are not the same holes.

Colorado4Wheel
04-21-2011, 18:53
I don't use a Strongmount on my bench. It's already 48" high.

fredj338
04-21-2011, 19:00
Steve does not use the strong mount. If I remember right they are not the same holes.
It should, Mine mounted right to the strong mount my other 550B came off. Now, will he finally find a press he likes?:wavey:

shotgunred
04-21-2011, 19:01
I was able to use one of the same holes.:whistling:
The 650 wider footprint will hide the holes you put into your bench for the 550.

Another annoying note. My bench flexes with the 650 were it didn't with 550. I didn't really notice until I set the press up for 223. Oh well I will slap a 1/4 plate of steel under it and see if that cures the flex.

GioaJack
04-21-2011, 19:04
Another 40 years and you'll have more holes in that bench than an imported slice of Swiss cheese.

Holes on a bench are like scars... they add character. Oh, wait, we're talkin' about Little Stevie, if you have to drill holes in your bench you'll never get another nights sleep. That's it, time for a trip to Lowe's. :upeyes:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
04-21-2011, 19:16
It should, Mine mounted right to the strong mount my other 550B came off. Now, will he finally find a press he likes?:wavey:

Think Odd/Even. Here are the presses I have owned.

LCT-Load Master-550-LnL-650.

Notice a pattern? I am hoping the pattern holds true.

I was able to use one of the same holes.:whistling:
The 650 wider footprint will hide the holes you put into your bench for the 550.

Another annoying note. My bench flexes with the 650 were it didn't with 550. I didn't really notice until I set the press up for 223. Oh well I will slap a 1/4 plate of steel under it and see if that cures the flex.

My bench is 2" thick, solid wood. Glued and screwed. But I was thinking of triangulating it like I did when I had the issues loading Remington primers on my other bench. Any flex makes loading more tiring so it may be worth it.

Boxerglocker
04-21-2011, 20:47

One side should work, the legs are the same if you use strongmounts. I believe, but because the bases of the 550 and 650 presses are a little different I think the 650 is wider you my have to drill 2 holes.

WiskyT
04-21-2011, 21:24
UncleBob sent me a primer catch tube thingy. Boxerglocker sent me a Roller Bearing setup for the press that should come tomorrow.

He doesn't even have it yet and he's already modified it.

:popcorn:

PCJim
04-21-2011, 21:48
Another 40 years and you'll have more holes in that bench than an imported slice of Swiss cheese.

Holes on a bench are like scars... they add character. Oh, wait, we're talkin' about Little Stevie, if you have to drill holes in your bench you'll never get another nights sleep. That's it, time for a trip to Lowe's. :upeyes:

Jack

Steve, might I suggest you find some of this......

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5109/5642487476_6bca80dbe5.jpg

Boxerglocker
04-21-2011, 22:04

It's not a modification, it's an enhancement :whistling:

labdwakin
04-22-2011, 02:06
I think you'll like it, Steve... it's a good press.

shotgunred
04-22-2011, 04:51
A month into owning the LNL I still liked the 550 better. It took me until the third loading session to like the 650 better.:supergrin:

Colorado4Wheel
04-22-2011, 06:53

Both upgrades were provided to me free of charge and with out request. Very kind. I am going to have to try the press with out the upgrades first of course.

sellersm
04-22-2011, 09:43
Hope it shows up today!

Enjoy the family time, life's too short not to. I'll be doing the same -- going to the sister-in-law's on Easter.

And wave as you're passing through the Springs....

Boxerglocker
04-22-2011, 14:04
Both upgrades were provided to me free of charge and with out request. Very kind. I am going to have to try the press with out the upgrades first of course.

It will work just fine without the bearing kit. Just sooooo much better with it :supergrin:

Bello
04-22-2011, 17:29
i have two bearing kits sitting on my bench rotting i bought it out of what mitchell said how well it works but my 650 out of the box works like a champion have not used the bearing yet i might try and see how well it works maybe throw some white lithium grease on the bearing and let her spin!

Boxerglocker
04-22-2011, 17:41
i have two bearing kits sitting on my bench rotting i bought it out of what mitchell said how well it works but my 650 out of the box works like a champion have not used the bearing yet i might try and see how well it works maybe throw some white lithium grease on the bearing and let her spin!

Clip one half to a full coil from the detent ball spring when you do. I clip till just over half of the detent ball sits over the surface. Lube the bearing tighten the bolt down finger tight, then back it off, till the lower washer and bearing just move, then tighten the set screw. After 100 rounds do it again as the grease will work out a little.

Colorado4Wheel
04-22-2011, 19:33
Well, I got the bearing kit from Boxerglocker today but not press. Thanks Boxer.

bigleaf
04-22-2011, 19:38
So, C4W... what are you selling to make room???? I'm getting tired of going to my friend's house to reload.

Colorado4Wheel
04-22-2011, 19:42
Hornady bought back the LnL.

bigleaf
04-22-2011, 19:44
May I say, "D'oh!"

Boxerglocker
04-22-2011, 19:44
Well, I got the bearing kit from Boxerglocker today but not press. Thanks Boxer.

:wavey: Your very welcome.

n2extrm
04-23-2011, 08:08
Steve the bolt pattern id different. As Boxer said wider I believe. My tool holder from the 550 would not line up on the 650. As for flex I have zero flex and you saw how I built the bench. Double 3/4 ply screwed and glued, bolted to the wall like a ledger board,legs are just support not secure to anything but the top and rim joists. Solid and similar if not inferior to yours.

I personaly think you are going to love it based on what you did not like with the LNL. I love it. Iprobably did not need the second one, but it was something I could justify. Next I need to get a second case feeder so they each have there own. I tend to leave cases in the case feeder alot.

Colorado4Wheel
04-23-2011, 15:54
Well, The 650 has landed in Colorado Springs. I am in Denver and won't be home for a while. At least I know what I am doing Monday night.

sellersm
04-23-2011, 23:01
Hmmm, it could hang out at my place for a while.... :whistling:

Hoser
04-25-2011, 07:50
And....

IndyGunFreak
04-25-2011, 08:12
Can you use that primer upgrade, w/o a strong mount? I thought it required a strong mount.

IGF

unclebob
04-25-2011, 08:59
Can you use that primer upgrade, w/o a strong mount? I thought it required a strong mount.

IGF

Yes. With the strong mount you can put the container under the strong mount. Without you put the container on the floor. Or up under the bench. I like the strong mount because it is out of the way and there is no way I can kick it. It is also a container for the media that comes out of the casefeeder, and not all over the reloading bench.

unclebob
04-25-2011, 09:10
If enough people are interested. I well pull mine off the press and trace the plate out on a 3x5 card and mail it to you. That is really the hardest part is getting the pattern. The rest is just drilling 3 holes. Sawing off the excess then gridding down to the line. Even that does not have to be precise. So if you want the pattern PM your address and I well sent it to you.

Colorado4Wheel
04-25-2011, 11:59
I can do it as I have not installed it yet. I can also put it in autocad as well.

Colorado4Wheel
04-25-2011, 12:02
The press came missing a part for the priming setup. Just my luck. Dillon has it on the way already.

Besides that the press is all setup. It was not hard. I really like the case feeder setup over my LnL. No freaking way the case is not finding it's way into the shell plate with that design. To me, that alone is wort the money for the 650. I do miss a couple things about the 550/LnL but the 650 is so new I need to give myself a month to really get used to it. I ran a bunch of cases through it that gave the LnL fits and it didn't hiccup once.

GioaJack
04-25-2011, 12:18
What's a 650 and is it better than the universally recommended LNL?

I've been following this forum for a few months now and I just don't see how reloading can possibly be cheaper or of any better quality than what can be bought at Wally World.

I'm thinking of buying my first gun within the next year or so and have pretty much decided to go with one of the Glock models since without exception everyone agrees that it is the best firearm ever produced and makes everything else obsolete.

Boxerglocker
04-25-2011, 12:32
The press came missing a part for the priming setup. Just my luck. Dillon has it on the way already.

Besides that the press is all setup. It was not hard. I really like the case feeder setup over my LnL. No freaking way the case is not finding it's way into the shell plate with that design. To me, that alone is wort the money for the 650. I do miss a couple things about the 550/LnL but the 650 is so new I need to give myself a month to really get used to it. I ran a bunch of cases through it that gave the LnL fits and it didn't hiccup once.

OH, Crap! Mogollon is gonna have to clean house again over at Dillon.
I really think they have an issue over at shipping and receiving over there. When I got my .223 conversion, the packer used too small a box and the case feed plate burst through the sidewalls 2 cogs were exposed on the outside. I called to let them know. No major harm the cogs were slightly scuffed so I just hit them with a litlle 600 grit to smooth them out.
I wouldn't be surprised to see that primer feeder overnighted Fed-Ex.

sellersm
04-25-2011, 13:12
Aw c'mon Jack, everyone knows you can't reload for a Glock! :tongueout:

Bummer Steve. I hope they send it overnight!

unclebob
04-25-2011, 13:36
Aw c'mon Jack, everyone knows you can't reload for a Glock! :tongueout:

Well over 100,000 rds. of reloads through Glocks, and now you tell me.:shocked:

GioaJack
04-25-2011, 13:39
Well over 100,000 rds. of reloads through Glocks, and now you tell me.:shocked:

100,000 rounds, huh? Give it a few more years and you'll get through rookie status. :whistling:

Jack

IndyGunFreak
04-25-2011, 13:56
wooops, wrong thread.

unclebob
04-25-2011, 14:32
100,000 rounds, huh? Give it a few more years and you'll get through rookie status. :whistling:

Jack

That was being on the conservative side. You do now I shot more than just Glocks, even 1911:puking: sometimes. You are right Iím still a rookie. Never claimed I was an expert shot. Especially after I had the cataract surgery in both eyes done. First was my left then my right eye. Now my left eye wants to be the dominant eye. But will see after my 6 weeks eye appointment. But somehow managed to come in first place in GSSF in the guardian division. In Thibodaux, Louisiana a week ago with a lousy score. You know cops canít shoot.

GioaJack
04-25-2011, 15:04
Safest thing to be is what a cop is shooting at... or at least that's what some people thought. :whistling:

The young'uns can't identify with eyes goin' bad but it happens to everyone eventually. If you're having trouble with dominance just wear a patch or a small piece of black tape in the center of your left eyeglass lens.

Don't use anything with any kind of print or picture on it, your eye will subconsciously try to focus on it.

Oh, if you came in first against bad shooters perhaps you should be shooting with better shots. :supergrin:

Jack

unclebob
04-25-2011, 15:35
Oh, if you came in first against bad shooters perhaps you should be shooting with better shots. :supergrin:
Jack

That is why I shot in Guardian so that I maybe could win.:tongueout:
Before someone thinks that I was a cop. Guardian in GSSF is anyone that is or has been anything to do with Homeland Security. Cops, military, firemen, EMS. Etc.

mmerrill64
04-25-2011, 18:15
Steve you'll love the 650. I looked at the 550 but wanted the auto indexing feature. Got mine with all the bells and whistles, except for the automatic primer setup, heard some say they would get a couple primers inserted upside down for every hundred loaded.
Loaded 300 rounds of .308 the other night in 40 minutes, wouldv'e taken me 2 days with my Rockchucker!