This is getting a bit worrisome. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : This is getting a bit worrisome.

GioaJack
04-22-2011, 12:05
As my daughter drove me back up the mountain from the hospital yesterday I noticed something in the sky that is not a welcome sight for mountain dwellers;
an air tanker dropping fire retardant and a helicopter with a water bucket.

Turns out we have a forest fire blazing within two miles of the house. Although several mountain homes were evacuated late yesterday afternoon the winds are coming from the west, southwest and the fire is basically to the east, northeast of me.

Although it has calmed in the last hour or so the winds were a steady 20 mph with gusts of 30 mph. That may not be a blessing since it might be more likely that embers could drift back toward the west. If you've never been near a forest fire suffice it to say that you will not save your home by standing on the roof with a garden hose and if it's within a couple of miles and the wind is blowing in your direction you may have enough time to swing open pasture gates to let the livestock fend for themselves, climb in your vehicle and get the hell out.

Over the years I've been evacuated several times but the warning was always early enough to at least throw stuff on the trailers, in the motor home and in the trucks and head in the opposite direction. The worst was during the Hayman fire, it got within six miles, had burned 130,000 acres and was headed straight for us. Had several friends who lost absolutely everything. You don't stop a fire like that... even with a 10 mm. :supergrin:

Unfortunately we had no winter around here this year, we're around 70 inches behind average snowfall and it's as dry as a case of popcorn flatulence. Last month there were 64 fires and the fire season doesn't even start until May 1st. This could be a real long summer... or a real short one, depending on how the wind blows.

Now I gotta decide what to take with me if I have to evacuate, the guns, 1050's, powder and primers... or the grandkids? :dunno:

I'm really gettin' too old for this... or maybe it's just the excitement I need. Either way, life goes on... there'll always be someone I can piss off.

Jack

IndyGunFreak
04-22-2011, 12:12
As my daughter drove me back up the mountain from the hospital yesterday I noticed something in the sky that is not a welcome sight for mountain dwellers;
an air tanker dropping fire retardant and a helicopter with a water bucket.

Turns out we have a forest fire blazing within two miles of the house. Although several mountain homes were evacuated late yesterday afternoon the winds are coming from the west, southwest and the fire is basically to the east, northeast of me.

Although it has calmed in the last hour or so the winds were a steady 20 mph with gusts of 30 mph. That may not be a blessing since it might be more likely that embers could drift back toward the west. If you've never been near a forest fire suffice it to say that you will not save your home by standing on the roof with a garden hose and if it's within a couple of miles and the wind is blowing in your direction you may have enough time to swing open pasture gates to let the livestock fend for themselves, climb in your vehicle and get the hell out.

Over the years I've been evacuated several times but the warning was always early enough to at least throw stuff on the trailers, in the motor home and in the trucks and head in the opposite direction. The worst was during the Hayman fire, it got within six miles, had burned 130,000 acres and was headed straight for us. Had several friends who lost absolutely everything. You don't stop a fire like that... even with a 10 mm. :supergrin:

Unfortunately we had no winter around here this year, we're around 70 inches behind average snowfall and it's as dry as a case of popcorn flatulence. Last month there were 64 fires and the fire season doesn't even start until May 1st. This could be a real long summer... or a real short one, depending on how the wind blows.

Now I gotta decide what to take with me if I have to evacuate, the guns, 1050's, powder and primers... or the grandkids? :dunno:

I'm really gettin' too old for this... or maybe it's just the excitement I need. Either way, life goes on... there'll always be someone I can piss off.

Jack

Well, maybe the grandkids can hold the 1050's, guns, etc..? ;)

Hopefully the winds stay in your favor

IGF

PCJim
04-22-2011, 12:32

Jack

Jack, you lived in Florida long enough to know that one needs to take precautions and to begin preparing WELL IN ADVANCE of any of the sanity checks that Mother Nature occasionally throws at us. That said, I'd be more than willing to send my address so that you can prepare in advance.

With that problem solved, you'd best grab the grandkids... :cool:

Colorado4Wheel
04-22-2011, 12:56
I will be happy to evac those 1050's for you tonight. :)

Zombie Steve
04-22-2011, 13:00
Save the primers!!!!

You should have let me log up there last fall.

fredj338
04-22-2011, 13:01
Where is that big water tank & fire hose Jack?

6StringGeek
04-22-2011, 13:03
We had a big fire near our house (luckily the winds changed) and the insurance co. told us to take photos of everything in and outside of the house for our claim. She said that there was no way we could provide a complete inventory off the top of our heads...good advice.

sellersm
04-22-2011, 13:07
Plenty of room at my house for storing your stuff, plus I'm closer than Steve. :whistling:

Stay safe.....

I do expect more and more of this to happen as summer comes along. It's just so dry around here! :crying:

Zombie Steve
04-22-2011, 13:10
Been raining here in the springs every afternoon. Just starting to turn green.

Hope you guys get a little relief.

Colorado4Wheel
04-22-2011, 13:21
Check your phone messages you Lee Loving Ford guy.

Zombie Steve
04-22-2011, 13:24
Argh! Didn't see that.

IndyGunFreak
04-22-2011, 13:27
We had a big fire near our house (luckily the winds changed) and the insurance co. told us to take photos of everything in and outside of the house for our claim. She said that there was no way we could provide a complete inventory off the top of our heads...good advice.

Jack is not one of us mere mortals.. You forget that Jack is a trained investigator, with the memory of a cat, and the reflexes of an elephant... er.. :)

IGF

PCJim
04-22-2011, 13:34
I think you fellas in Colorado should all send your equipment and arms to Florida for safe storage, at least until the fire season is over. No need to be sending it from one house to another, only to have to move it again as you run from yet another fire fury.

I'm sure if I don't have the room, that UncleBob would also be more than willing to show some southern hospitality and devote some room, too.

GioaJack
04-22-2011, 13:36
It warms the cockles of my heart to see how concerned you all are about my guns and loading equipment. Such compassion is a rare thing in today's society.

The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis.

Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front. :fist:

Jack

Zombie Steve
04-22-2011, 13:45
I think you fellas in Colorado should all send your equipment and arms to Florida for safe storage, at least until the fire season is over. No need to be sending it from one house to another, only to have to move it again as you run from yet another fire fury.

I'm sure if I don't have the room, that UncleBob would also be more than willing to show some southern hospitality and devote some room, too.

Are you nuts? There's moisture down there!

Colorado4Wheel
04-22-2011, 13:55
Nascar Sucks!

leeward419
04-22-2011, 15:32
No one asked if you were ok, ie the HOSPITAL visit?
You ok?
Hope all is well

WiskyT
04-22-2011, 15:33
Updates? Two miles could have been covered by now. Good luck Jack.

themighty9mm
04-22-2011, 15:38
Kill it with fire jack.
Maybe not the whole thing but around your property. Seems like you have 5 options.
Take out the fuel, take out the oxygen, water, wait n hope, or run for the lowlands. I will go out on a limb and guess you dont have a giant BBQ lid, or a hose that can pump enough water. A controlled burn around your property might be enough depending on how much property you have.

GioaJack
04-22-2011, 15:58
No one asked if you were ok, ie the HOSPITAL visit?
You ok?
Hope all is well

Had to go in for a CT scan and MRI. It's alway good for a few grins when the radiologist sees how many times I've broken my back... then they tell me there's no way I can still be walking, as I turn and walk away. (They're use to dealing with lesser men... flatlanders mostly. :whistling:)

Kill it with fire jack.
Maybe not the whole thing but around your property. Seems like you have 5 options.
Take out the fuel, take out the oxygen, water, wait n hope, or run for the lowlands. I will go out on a limb and guess you dont have a giant BBQ lid, or a hose that can pump enough water. A controlled burn around your property might be enough depending on how much property you have.

If I set a backfire I'm pretty much gonna have to burn 6 to 7 thousand trees. I'm guessing the fire department is gonna frown on that. Besides, where would I hold our paintball wars?

Jack

IndyGunFreak
04-22-2011, 16:04
Updates? Two miles could have been covered by now. Good luck Jack.

I hope this isn't him... :)

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/IndyGunFreak/newspaper.jpg

(seriously Jack... you stay safe.. it's all just stuff and can be replaced)..

IGF

WiskyT
04-22-2011, 16:11

IGF

This is the way I looked until I figured out what you did there

http://images.dailyfill.com/25ca191e6ea048a2_b5ec006e0865410d/o/moon.jpg

IndyGunFreak
04-22-2011, 16:15
It's raining like crazy here.. (just saw on the news there's a flash flood warning).. maybe some of this will work its way west.

joker42179
04-22-2011, 16:17

IGF

:animlol:

themighty9mm
04-22-2011, 16:40
If I set a backfire I'm pretty much gonna have to burn 6 to 7 thousand trees. I'm guessing the fire department is gonna frown on that. Besides, where would I hold our paintball wars?

Jack
Yea that might be a problem. Other than news coverage and the movie bambi, I have never really seen how intense a wildfire is. Would it be plausable to just burn back a half a acre or just a acre in any direction? Would that be enough? Or would that still be several thousand trees?
As far as your paintball feild. Pallets are free for the most part

If thats not an option. Pop the top on a cold one and sit back n watch. Untill its time to run to the flatlanders. However it happens, good luck n stay safe

GioaJack
04-22-2011, 18:20
6 PM local news just reported that the fire, known as the Myers Ranch Fire is expected to be contained by later this evening.

In spite of the reported 27 mph winds throughout the day firefighters were able to hold a fire line and save all the homes in its path.

Kudos to all of our volunteer fire fighters, (mountain men don't ya know) along with the fire fighting helicopter and air tanker pilots... we very, very much appreciate your efforts.

In other news... there is a special place reserved in hell for IndyGunFreak. Making sport of a defenseless senior citizen who would never dream of questioning the character of another or in any way denigrating them is grounds for not only a strongly worded infraction but total and permanent forum banishment.

In no way do I want my position to influence a moderator. :whistling:

Jack

labdwakin
04-22-2011, 18:26
Yea that might be a problem. Other than news coverage and the movie bambi, I have never really seen how intense a wildfire is. Would it be plausable to just burn back a half a acre or just a acre in any direction? Would that be enough? Or would that still be several thousand trees?
As far as your paintball feild. Pallets are free for the most part

If thats not an option. Pop the top on a cold one and sit back n watch. Untill its time to run to the flatlanders. However it happens, good luck n stay safe

Jack wouldn't drink beer... it'd be scotch... and he'd have a Marlboro with it.

PCJim
04-22-2011, 18:26

Mighty, I wasn't going to respond to your earlier suggestion but then Jack did. No disrespect, but you have obviously never been around a wildfire. I haven't either and pray I'm never that unfortunate.

They burn hot, and will burn thru a green forest in no time as the extremely intense heat dissipates all moisture. Embers get carried aloft in the updrafts and can travel thousands of feet, only to land and spawn another outbreak. The fires themselves can travel at speeds you cannot outrun, and can near about suck the oxygen out of an area if conditions are right.

While a controlled burn around his property might keep an out of control leaf burning event in check, it would not help in the case of a wildfire. You grab your most precious items (family, pets, maybe some pictures) and leave before your exits get cut off.

WiskyT
04-22-2011, 18:38
6 PM local news just reported that the fire, known as the Myers Ranch Fire is expected to be contained by later this evening.

In spite of the reported 27 mph winds throughout the day firefighters were able to hold a fire line and save all the homes in its path.

Kudos to all of our volunteer fire fighters, (mountain men don't ya know) along with the fire fighting helicopter and air tanker pilots... we very, very much appreciate your efforts.

In other news... there is a special place reserved in hell for IndyGunFreak. Making sport of a defenseless senior citizen who would never dream of questioning the character of another or in any way denigrating them is grounds for not only a strongly worded infraction but total and permanent forum banishment.

Jack

I bet you called them hose draggers back in the day and chewed them out for blocking the road on every scene they showed up on:whistling:

themighty9mm
04-22-2011, 19:11
Mighty, I wasn't going to respond to your earlier suggestion but then Jack did. No disrespect, but you have obviously never been around a wildfire. I haven't either and pray I'm never that unfortunate.

They burn hot, and will burn thru a green forest in no time as the extremely intense heat dissipates all moisture. Embers get carried aloft in the updrafts and can travel thousands of feet, only to land and spawn another outbreak. The fires themselves can travel at speeds you cannot outrun, and can near about suck the oxygen out of an area if conditions are right.

While a controlled burn around his property might keep an out of control leaf burning event in check, it would not help in the case of a wildfire. You grab your most precious items (family, pets, maybe some pictures) and leave before your exits get cut off.

Like I said. The closest I have really been to forest fire was what I see on the news or while watching bambi.
The closest to a wild fire I have been around is burning feilds. They never got to the point of being very intense a tad concerning but far from a forest fire. We did stop those with a counter burn. Like I said burning waist high grass was exactly intense. I figured the concept might work in that situation aswell.
But no I sure have not ever seen a true wild fire. Have had burn pits that have gotten a bit outta control (not mine). Even those though we more or less stomped those out

High Altitude
04-22-2011, 19:25
Good to hear.

The fire fighters here where on the Elk Meadows fire fast and as always, did a great job containing it. I really hope this isn't going to be a recurring theme in the foothills this summer.

Jack

GioaJack
04-22-2011, 19:36
Like I said. The closest I have really been to forest fire was what I see on the news or while watching bambi.

Mighty:

This is a very, very small view of the Hayman fire back in '02 across the ridge from me. It actually extended as far as you could see from right to left and got a couple miles closer than the picture depicts. Temperatures hit over 3000 degrees, not a place you want to be... or anywhere near.
http://www.bentwave.com/g/hayman/smoke3.jpg

Jack

WiskyT
04-22-2011, 19:38
Mighty:

This is a very, very small view of the Hayman fire back in '02 across the ridge from me. It actually extended as far as you could see from right to left and got a couple miles closer than the picture depicts. Temperatures hit over 3000 degrees, not a place you want to be... or anywhere near.

Jack

Nothing a case of Pabst and some Flomax couldn't handle.

Colorado4Wheel
04-22-2011, 19:41

Jack

Tell the truth, did you take that picture?

Glad you hear your safe now.

themighty9mm
04-22-2011, 20:12
Mighty:

Jack
Oh... lol. Bit, bigger than the news makes it appear.

Eh, thats not so bad. Couple of marshmellows and lawn chairs and you have a decent campfire lol j/k
That does put it a bit more in perspective Like I said motly wha see on the news. They usually have a helicopter a couple thousand feet up, and doesnt really put it in perspective. Those fires are usually in Cali

GioaJack
04-22-2011, 20:22
Tell the truth, did you take that picture?

Glad you hear your safe now.

Hell no I didn't take the picture, I was packin' the motor home and the trucks with everything that wasn't nailed down. Had a pasture full of horses, opened the gate and chained it open. If the fire had gotten close enough they would have left and stayed ahead of the fire. Ya pretty much always get 'em back within a few days. People are very, very good about that.

Over the years I've boarded dozens of horses for people who had to evacuate fire areas and needed a place for their livestock. Just part of living up here.

Jack

IndyGunFreak
04-22-2011, 20:29
Hell no I didn't take the picture, I was packin' the motor home and the trucks with everything that wasn't nailed down. Had a pasture full of horses, opened the gate and chained it open. If the fire had gotten close enough they would have left and stayed ahead of the fire. Ya pretty much always get 'em back within a few days. People are very, very good about that.

Over the years I've boarded dozens of horses for people who had to evacuate fire areas and needed a place for their livestock. Just part of living up here.

Jack

I didn't realize wildfires were that rampant in Colorado. I always thought that was really more of a California/Az thing.. How do most of them start? Careless humans would be my first guess, but I guess anything is pssible.

I'm not sure I could live w/ the constant thread of a wildfire in the summer.. but.. I've had people that claim I'm crazy because Indiana is prone to Tornado's...

Tornado's, Wildfires, Floods, Blizzards.. I guess every part of the country has its own issues.. sure makes you realize just how helpless we are against mother nature.

Glad things are looking up for you there Jack..

IGF

Angry Fist
04-22-2011, 20:29
Don't let the V stash burn.... :whistling:

Stay safe.

labdwakin
04-22-2011, 20:36
Don't let the V stash burn.... :whistling:

Stay safe.

I dunno why Jack would worry about his stash... he won't even let a girl come over and help him load ammo... sheesh.

WiskyT
04-22-2011, 21:16
Tornado's, Wildfires, Floods, Blizzards.. I guess every part of the country has its own issues.. sure makes you realize just how helpless we are against mother nature.

IGF

NJ doesn't have any type of natural disasters that could kill you. Growing up, it was kind of nice to know that those things always happen "somewhere else". Now that I live in NC, I actually have to worry about tornados. They don't really seem to happen in the Charlotte area, but we had something like 20 people killed a couple of hours drive from here.

The only thing that will kill you in NJ is the taxes. Then there are Jack's cousins, like Bello, but they keep to themselves.

Zombie Steve
04-22-2011, 21:32
I didn't realize wildfires were that rampant in Colorado. I always that was really more of a California/Az thing.. How do most of them start? Careless humans would be my first guess, but I guess anything is pssible.

I'm not sure I could live w/ the constant thread of a wildfire in the summer.. but.. I've had people that claim I'm crazy because Indiana is prone to Tornado's...

Glad things are looking up for you there Jack..

IGF

Well, the Hayman fire was started by a park ranger that wanted to play hero and put it out. It quickly grew beyond her control. She's in jail.

PCJim
04-22-2011, 21:43
Now that I live in NC, I actually have to worry about tornados. They don't really seem to happen in the Charlotte area, but we had something like 20 people killed a couple of hours drive from here.

Wisky, the tornados last Saturday that destroyed the Lowes missed three of my extended family member's homes by less than 3 miles. One lost some shingles, otherwise just a mess in their yards....

Here in the Gunshine State, we have to deal with the annual fire season that preceeds the annual hurricane season. Fortunately, the high fire areas are west and north of me. I have seen I-95 closed in several sections due to smoke and/or actual fire. When you drive on the superslab and see scorched forest on both sides, you know it was a place you did not want to be.

Jack, glad you've made it past this one.

IndyGunFreak
04-22-2011, 22:11
NJ doesn't have any type of natural disasters that could kill you. Growing up, it was kind of nice to know that those things always happen "somewhere else". Now that I live in NC, I actually have to worry about tornados. They don't really seem to happen in the Charlotte area, but we had something like 20 people killed a couple of hours drive from here.

The only thing that will kill you in NJ is the taxes. Then there are Jack's cousins, like Bello, but they keep to themselves.

I dunno.. if the right hurricane or tropical storm came along, I guess it could hit NJ (they never seem to go that far North though)..

IGF

Angry Fist
04-22-2011, 22:18
Hell, Hurricane Ivan could have damn near hit everyone twice! :wow:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/32/Ivan_2004_track.png/800px-Ivan_2004_track.png (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/Ivan_2004_track.png)

WiskyT
04-23-2011, 08:02
I dunno.. if the right hurricane or tropical storm came along, I guess it could hit NJ (they never seem to go that far North though)..

IGF

We've gotten hurricanes in NJ. Rarely, they are pretty bad, but flooding is the only real threat to life in them. The areas that get flooded are ALWAYS the same places like Wayne. They get plenty of warning as it takes a few days of solid rain to screw them up. The rare fatality is always someone who knew better and didn't bug out. Really the neighborhoods that flood should be condemed. It gets talked about since they get flooded like clockwork. It would be cheaper to buy the owners out and build parks than to rebuild them every 5 years. Nothing like federal flood insurance to waste money and give us muddy people to show shoveling out their homes on the news.

norton
04-23-2011, 11:11
It warms the cockles of my heart to see how concerned you all are about my guns and loading equipment. Such compassion is a rare thing in today's society.

The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis.

Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front. :fist:

Jack

Jack, welcome to the flatlands. Or as we like to refer to it here, Gods Country.

ColoCG
04-23-2011, 11:18
Heck, it was snowing at my place this morning Jack. Did you get any moisture up where you live to help with the fire danger? Glad you made it through this last one Jack.

GioaJack
04-23-2011, 11:35
Jack, welcome to the flatlands. Or as we like to refer to it here, Gods Country.

I believe you meant to say, the country God forgot.

Heck, it was snowing at my place this morning Jack. Did you get any moisture up where you live to help with the fire danger? Glad you made it through this last one Jack.

Woke up to 3 inches of snow, still flurrying lightly. Reduces the fire danger for today and tomorrow but what we really need is two-feet of wet heavy snow or a week of constant rain. Been a long, long time since we've seen either.

Jack

Hoser
04-23-2011, 12:33
an air tanker dropping fire retardant

All I was doing was trying to talk the pilot into a low pass right over your place.

http://www.wildfirelessons.net/uploads/aviation/MAFFs.JPG

Zombie Steve
04-23-2011, 19:25
I believe you meant to say, the country God forgot.

Woke up to 3 inches of snow, still flurrying lightly. Reduces the fire danger for today and tomorrow but what we really need is two-feet of wet heavy snow or a week of constant rain. Been a long, long time since we've seen either.

Jack

Just started snowing big wet heavy flakes here. Good luck, Jack.

FLSlim
04-24-2011, 15:04
Good luck. I lost my cabin in the Hayman fire, and seeing the property is still depressing after, what, nearly 10 years.... And ignore PCJim, the worst of the fire season and the FL hurricane season coincide. There is no place to hide.....